UTEP Tennis Season Comes To Close Vs. Marshall At C-USA Championships
April 19, 2012
MEMPHIS, Tenn.– UTEP played well in sequences but couldn’t put it all together in an eventual 5-0 setback to Marshall in the opening round of the 2012 Conference USA Women’s Tennis Championship at the Lake Cane Tennis Center Thursday morning.
The Miners (2-18) were competitive at different positions in the line-up only to have the Thundering Herd (13-9) emerge with the triumph, closing the curtain on the 2011-12 campaign in the process. Marshall, meanwhile, advances to challenge fourth-seed host and No. 64 Memphis in the quarterfinals of the league’s pinnacle event at 9 a.m. MT Friday.
Action initiated in doubles play, where UTEP received a lift from Gabi Vazquez/Marie LeBlond at No. 3 doubles. The duo drilled Karlyn Timko/Kai Broomfield, 8-3. The Orange and Blue’s top tandem vied to join them in the win column in a match-up against Dominika Zaprazna/Maria Voscekova. The paired battled hard but ultimately was bounced, 8-5. Marshall secured the doubles point and the early lead in the contest as result of Kara Kucin/Ellie Ball dispatching Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko, 8-0, at No. 2.
Singles play then took center stage, where the Miners had aspirations of a come-from-behind victory. It didn’t come to pass, however, with the Thundering Herd securing wins at No. 1, No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 to wrap up the match.
Trierweiler was saddled with a closely-contested setback at No. 1 singles, with Zaprazna managing to post a 6-4, 6-4 triumph. Abdrakhmanova also played well but was held off, 7-5, 6-4, by Koprcina at No. 5 singles.
LeBlond was toppled by Timko, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 6 singles while Sylenko ran into a buzzsaw in the form of Kucin in a 6-1, 6-0, loss at the fourth slot.
Calvillo won the first set, 4-6, vs. Voscekova while dropping the second, 6-2, at No. 2 singles. The match was halted with Voscekova holding a slight 2-0 edge in the third set. Vazquez’s match-up against Ball at No. 3 singles was also ended prematurely, with the score at 6-4, 5-3 in favor of Marshall.
The Miners were without the services of Carolina DeLuca, their lone senior on this team. Abdrakhmanova and Trierweiler were the only other upperclasswomen for the youth-laden squad.
1. Dominika Zaprazna (MAR) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 6-4, 6-4
2. Maria Voscekova (MAR) vs. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 4-6, 6-2, 2-0, unfinished
3. Ellie Ball (MAR) vs. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
4. Kara Kucin (MAR) def. Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 6-1, 6-0
5. Kristina Koprcina (MAR) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 7-5, 6-4
6. Karlyn Timko (MAR) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 6-2, 6-2
1. Dominika Zaprazna/Maria Voscekova (MAR) def. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 8-5
2. Kara Kucin/Ellie Ball (MAR) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 8-0
3. Gabi Vazquez/Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Karlyn Timko/Kai Broomfield (MAR) 8-3
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store