UTEP Falls to Idaho, 5-2
April 11, 2014
EL PASO, Texas - The UTEP women's tennis team fell to Idaho, 5-2, during a hard-fought match on Friday afternoon at the El Paso Tennis Club.
The Vandals (15-3) took the doubles point from the Miners (11-12) to gain the early edge in a dramatic third and final match on the No. 1 court.
Gabi Vazquez and Matilda Rose Tench took care of business, winning the first doubles match, 8-3, over Belen Barcenilla and Sophie Vickers at the No. 3 spot. On court No. 2, Marie LeBlond and Daphne Visscher fell to Galina Bykova and Rita Bermudez, 8-3, setting up the deciding point.
Rebeca Calvillo and Davina Meza had the early lead, 6-2, on Victoria Lozano and Almudena Sanz. The Idaho duo won the next five games, as they took advantage of Miner miscues. With UTEP down 8-7, but up 40-30 in the game, Calvillo took a hard overhand smash by Lozano and put the ball in the corner of the court to tie the match. But the Vandals responded in the tiebreaker, winning 8-6, and gaining the point.
On the singles side, Meza continued her successful first season with the Orange and Blue, defeating Sanz, 6-1, 6-4, on the court No. 2. She now moves to 14-7 in dual match play and an overall record of 22-11. Vazquez gained the other UTEP point by besting Vickers, 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4), at the No. 4 position. She is now 11-9 during the spring season.
LeBlond and Tench fell in tough losses in three sets. LeBlond lost to Bykova, 7-6, 0-6, 6-3, while Bermudez edged Tench, 6-4, 0-6, 7-5.
The Miners will wrap up the regular season on Sunday as they take on Arkansas State at 9 a.m. MT at the El Paso Tennis Club on Senior Day. Calvillo, LeBlond and Vazquez will by honored prior to the match.
1. Lozano, Victoria (IDAHO) def. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 6-2, 6-3
2. Davina Meza (UTEP) def. Sanz, Almudena (IDAHO) 6-1, 6-4
3. Bykova, Galina (IDAHO) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 7-6 (7-0), 0-6, 6-3
4. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Vickers, Sophie (IDAHO) 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Barcenilla, Belen (IDAHO) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-4, 7-5
6. Bermudez, Rita (IDAHO) def. Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) 6-4, 0-6, 7-5
1. Lozano, Victoria/Sanz, Almudena (IDAHO) def. Rebeca Calvillo/Davina Meza (UTEP) 9-8 (8-6)
2. Bykova, Galina/Bermudez, Rita (IDAHO) def. Marie LeBlond/Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 8-3
3. Matilda Rose Tench/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Barcenilla, Belen/Vickers, Sophie (IDAHO) 8-3
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store