UTEP Tennis Falls To Abilene Christian On Senior Day
March 31, 2012
EL PASO, Texas– Rebeca Calvillo posted a convincing straight set victory but visiting Abilene Christian pulled out a 6-1 triumph to spoil “Senior Day” at the El Paso Tennis Club Saturday afternoon.
The Miners (2-15), who had won three straight “Senior Day” matches, were looking to send lone senior Carolina DeLuca out in style but the Wildcats (18-3) had other ideas. The visitors jumped out to the early lead by virtue of claiming two of the three matches in doubles to secure the early point.
It was a good showing for the Orange and Blue’s Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo at the top spot, dismantling ACU’s Micah Hermsdorf/Hannah Kelley, 8-1. The Wildcats’ Julia Mongin/Emily Conrad toppled Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko, 8-1, at No. 3 to pull even. They then managed to take the point with Brittney Reed/Laura Mongin holding off Gabi Vazquez/Marie LeBlond, 8-6, at No. 2.
UTEP regrouped in an effort to rally in singles play, and Calvillo looked ready to lead that charge. She bounced Hersmdorf, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 2 singles. Things didn’t go the way of the Miners, however, on the other courts.
Julia Mongin tripped up Trierweiler, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 1 singles while her sister, Laura Mongin, bested Vazquez, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 3 singles. Abdrakhmanova fought hard only to fall to Reed, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 4 and previously sizzling Marie LeBlond was upended by Kelley, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 5 singles.
DeLuca looked to go out a personal winner at No. 6 singles. She locked up with Conrad, playing well in parts but eventually fell by a final count of 6-3, 6-3.
The Miners will be idle for almost two weeks before wrapping up the regular season with a pair of road matches the weekend of April 13. UTEP will play at Arkansas State at 11 a.m. MT April 13 before challenging fellow Conference USA school Southern Miss at 8 a.m. MT April 14.
1. Julia Mongin (ACUW) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 6-3, 6-2
2. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Micah Hermsdorf (ACUW) 6-1, 6-4
3. Laura Mongin (ACUW) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-0, 6-0
4. Brittney Reed (ACUW) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 6-4, 6-1
5. Hannah Kelley (ACUW) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 6-4, 6-1
6. Emily Conrad (ACUW) def. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 6-3, 6-3
1. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Micah Hermsdorf/Hannah Kelley (ACUW) 8-1
2. Brittney Reed/Laura Mongin (ACUW) def. Gabi Vazquez/Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 8-6
Julia Mongin/Emily Conrad (ACUW) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 8-1
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store