UTEP Tennis Drops Match At UC Santa Barbara
March 24, 2012
SANTA BARBARA, CALIF.- The UTEP tennis team continued its demanding roadswing by falling at UC Santa Barbara, 7-0, Saturday afternoon. The Miners (2-14), who are in the midst of three road match-ups in as many days, dropped the doubles point and were unable to recover in the eventual setback to the homestanding Gauchos (6-10).
Things started up in doubles play where the Orange and Blue looked to the pairing of Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko to get things going. The duo battled only to be derailed by the tandem of Kiersten Meehan/April Scatliffe, 8-7, (7-5 tiebreaker) at No. 3 doubles.
The Miners' Gabi Vazquez/Marie LeBlond delivered a triumph, thanks to doubling up Erica Cano/Sofia Novak at No. 2 but the home side managed to secure the team point as result of Natalia Lozano/Jordan Dockendorf taking down Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo, 8-2, at the top spot.
UTEP aspired to rally in singles play, and Trieweiler set the tone early by claiming the first set vs. Lozano, 6-3, at No. 1 singles. Her foe recovered, though, and secured the second set, 6-4, before taking home the match via super tiebreaker (10-5).
Calvillo, who returned to the lineup after missing Friday's match, was bounced by Novak, 6-2, in the opening set of No. 2 singles. She was then forced to retire with the score at 1-0 in the second stanza.
Vazquez locked up with Scatliffe at No. 3 singles, and she couldn't get on track in a 6-2, 6-2 loss. Sylenko ran into a buzzsaw in the form of Meehan at No. 4 singles, and she was bounced by a final count of 6-0, 6-0.
LeBlond, who had peeled off six straight, tried her best to extend that streak only to fall, 6-0, 6-1, vs. Dockendorf at No. 5 singles.
Abdrakhmanova had some good moments but couldn't string it all together against Cano at No. 6 singles, and was ultimately derailed, 6-1, 6-4.
UTEP will look to cap its roadswing through Calif., on a high note when it plays at Loyola Marymount at 12 p.m. MT Sunday.
1. Natalia Lozano (UCSB) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Sofia Novak~ (UCSB) def. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 6-2, 1-0, retired
3. April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-2, 6-2
4. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) def. Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 6-0, 6-1
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 6-1, 6-4
1. Natalia Lozano/Jordan Dockendorf (UCSB) def. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 8-2
2. Gabi Vazquez/Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Erica Cano/Sofia Novak~ (UCSB) 8-4
3. Kiersten Meehan/April Scatliffe (UCSB) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 8-7 (7-5)
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store