Aggies Take Down Miners in Close Match, 4-3
March 23, 2014
EL PASO, Texas- The UTEP women's tennis team lost a hard-fought match to NM State, 4-3, on a breezy Sunday afternoon at the El Paso Tennis Club.
"Today was definitely a tough loss," head coach Myriam Sopelsaid. "NM State is our rival; we know it's going to be tough competition and a close match. We made some great adjustments from yesterday, placing the balls where we needed them. No match was taken for granted. It was close sets, close points and a close score."
The Aggies (5-9) took the doubles point from the Miners (8-11) to gain early momentum. The doubles point was up for grabs on court No. 3, but Annemieke Witte and Ashvarya Shrivastava overcame a Matilda Rose Tench and Gabi Vazquezcomeback attempt. The pair was down 5-1 before falling 8-6.
More intensity was witnessed as the singles matches came down to the No. 5 court where Gabi Vazquezfell to Shrivastava in three sets, 6-4, 1-6, 6-4.
Vazquez was down 5-2 in the third set, but came up with momentous points to eventually get within a one game. Shrivastava overcame Vazquez's resiliently and eventually clinched the fourth point for the team victory.
"(Gabi) played with a lot of guts," Sopel said. She grinded out every point - it was a great match."
"I'm really proud of our one and two, Rebeca and Davina, to get out there and get the job done quickly in doubles and singles," Sopel said. "I'm really proud of them leading the team."
Calvillo and Meza also notched their 11th wins of the season in dual-match singles action. Calvillo outmatched Susana Alcaraz, 6-3, 6-3, while Meza was the first to finish her match, beating Chloe Jolliff, 6-2, 6-0.
Daphne Visscher also gained her 11th win during the spring, defeating Denise Van Der Ben.
UTEP will continue its home stretch in a doubleheader against Louisiana-Monroe (10 a.m. MT) and Western New Mexico (3 p.m.) on March 29 at the El Paso Tennis Club.
1. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Alcaraz,Susana (NMSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Davina Meza (UTEP) def. Jolliff,Chloe (NMSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Nguyen,Ros-Polly (NMSU) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 6-4, 6-1
4. Shrivastava,Ashvarya (NMSU) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-4, 1-6, 6-4
5. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Ben,Denise Van Der (NMSU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 3-2, retired
6. Witte,Annemieke (NMSU) def. Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) 6-4, 6-2
1. Rebeca Calvillo/Davina Meza (UTEP) def. Ben,Denise Van Der/Thiffault,Marie-Pier (NMSU) 8-0
2. Alcaraz,Susana/Nguyen,Ros-Polly (NMSU) def. Marie LeBlond/Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 8-6
3. Witte,Annemieke/Shrivastava,Ashvarya (NMSU) def. Matilda Rose Tench/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 8-6