UTEP Tennis Beats Utah State, 4-1
March 16, 2014
BOISE, Idaho - The UTEP women's tennis team had to catch an early flight, so they took care of Utah State, 4-1, in an early-completed match on Sunday morning at the Boas Indoor Tennis Center.
The Miners (8-9) lost the doubles point to the Aggies (8-6), but took care of the singles matches - winning four of six.
Though the Miners didn't win the doubles point, Rebeca Calvillo and Davina Meza continued their dominating season. The pair defeated Lexi Turley and Nini Guensler, 6-4. The duo is now 10-3 (18-8 overall) during the spring season at the No. 1 position.
On the singles side, Matilda Rose Tench outmatched Ashley Stuhlmann, 6-1, 6-3, on court No. 6. Daphne Visscher won her third consecutive match, defeating Lexi Turley, 6-7, 6-2, 10-5 at the No. 5 position. Gabi Vazquez handled Amber Stuhlmann, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 4, while Marie LeBlond took care of business, downing Kallie Sperry, 6-3, 6-3, on the No. 3 court.
The Calvillo and Meza matches were unfinished due to the Miners winning the four singles matches to claim victory.
UTEP returns to the Sun City for a pair of matches against two programs from the Land of Enchantment - New Mexico and NM State. The Miners will take on the Lobos on Saturday, March 22 (10 a.m. MT) and the Aggies on Sunday (10 a.m.) at the El Paso Tennis Club.
1. McKenzie Davis (UTAHST) vs. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 3-6, 3-5, unfinished
2. Nini Guensler (UTAHST) vs. Davina Meza (UTEP) 1-6, 7-5, unfinished
3. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Kallie Sperry (UTAHST) 6-3, 6-3
4. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Amber Stuhlmann (UTAHST) 6-2, 6-2
5. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Lexi Turley (UTAHST) 6-7, 6-2, 10-5
6. Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) def. Ashley Stuhlmann (UTAHST) 6-1, 6-3
1. Rebeca Calvillo/Davina Meza (UTEP) def. Lexi Turley/Nini Guensler (UTAHST) 6-4
2. McKenzie Davis/Amber Stuhlmann (UTAHST) def. Marie LeBlond/Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-3
3. Kallie Sperry/Ashley Stuhlmann (UTAHST) def. Matilda Rose Tench/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-5 (10-8)
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store