UTEP Tennis Falls To New Mexico State
March 4, 2010
EL PASO, TEXAS- The UTEP tennis team fought hard but came up short at against I-10 rival New Mexico State, 6-1, at the El Paso Tennis Club Wednesday afternoon.
Freshman Veronika Makashov was the standout on the day for the Miners (7-6), downing Elizabeth Tapia in three sets (6-0, 0-6, 6-2). The Aggies (5-5) prevailed, however on the strength of sweeping the doubles point and triumphs at No. 1-5 in singles.
In doubles action the Miners’ top pairing of Carolina DeLuca/Dariya Abdrakhmanova squared off against the Aggies’ Aleksa Costa/Isabela Kulaif. The match went back and forth but ultimately went the way of the NM State duo, 8-5.
UTEP tried to get on the board in No. 3 doubles but it was not to be. Natalia Salum/Ginet Pinero snuck past Marina DeLuca/Austin Lavallii, 8-3.
Following a quick break singles play started, where the Miners had aspirations of a comeback. It did not come to fruition, however.
Makashov certainly did her part, though, in posting an impressive three-set triumph against Tapia.
Abdrakhmanova took on Marks at No. 1, and was trailing 6-0, 3-2, when she was forced to retire due to an injury.
Her elder sister dropped the initial set to Pinero, 6-3, before rallying in the second set, 6-1. With the team outcome in the books, a super tie breaker was utilized in lieu of the third set. The visiting player was just a little bit better, taking it by a count of 10-8.
Fuentes was also stricken with a three-set defeat. Facing Salum at No. 5 singles, the junior dropped the first set by a score of 6-3. She roared back in the second set, grabbing it 6-1. In the decisive set, though, it was Salum who emerged victorious (6-4).
Glebova had her personal nine-match win streak halted, with Sylvain downing her by a final count of 6-1, 6-1.
1. Sophia Marks (NMST) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 6-0, 3-2, retired
3. Manon Sylvain (NMST) def. Alexandra Glebova (UTEP) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ginet Pinero (NMST) def. Marina DeLuca (UTEP) 6-3, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Natalia Salum (NMST) def. Ximena Fuentes (UTEP) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
6. Veronika Makashov (UTEP) def. Elizabeth Tapia (NMST) 6-0, 0-6, 6-2
1. Aleksa Costa/Isabela Kulaif (NMST) def. Carolina DeLuca/Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 8-5
2. Sophia Marks/Manon Sylvain (NMST) def. Alexandra Glebova/Ximena Fuentes (UTEP)
3. Natalia Salum/Ginet Pinero (NMST) def. Marina DeLuca/Austin Lavallii (UTEP) 8-3