UTEP Tennis Comes Up Shy To Idaho, 4-3
March 2, 2012
The Miners (2-11) gave the Vandals (10-4) everything they could handle before ultimately succumbing in the one-point setback. It marks the fourth time this year that the Orange and Blue have been derailed by a final count of 4-3.
Action initiated in doubles where there was a trio of competitive matches, but each of them went the way of the Vandals. Molly Knox/Sophie Vickers managed an 8-6 triumph against LeBlond/Vazquez at No. 2 while Victoria Lozano/Almudena Sanz held on to down Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo, 8-5, at No. 1. Alejandra Lozano/Beatriz Flores prevailed by the same score vs. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko at No. 3.
Rather than dwell on the close calls in doubles, UTEP turned its attention to singles play with a renewed focus. It paid dividends for Calvillo in her match-up against Sanz, with the sophomore securing a 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 2 singles.
LeBlond, who is white hot for the second time this spring, won for the fourth consecutive contest by besting Flores, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 6. Vazquez needed three sets to topple Knox, but it still ended up in the win column at 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 at No. 3.
The rest of the matches, though, went the way of the visitors, including a heartbreaking outcome at No. 5 singles. Alejandra Lozano went back and forth with Abdrakhmanova before eventually pulling out the 6-4, 0-6, 6-1 victory.
That match sealed the team triumph for Idaho, as Victoria Lozano took down Trierweiler, 6-2, 7-6, at No. 1 while Vickers beat Sylenko, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 4.
The Miners will be for a week and a half before returning to the courts to play host to I-10 rival New Mexico State at 1 p.m. MST on Wednesday, March 14. The match will be held at the El Paso Tennis Club, and there will be free admission.
1. Victoria Lozano (ID) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 6-2, 7-6
2. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Almudena Sanz (ID) 7-5, 6-4
3. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Molly Knox (ID) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
4. Sophie Vickers (ID) def. Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 6-0, 6-0
5. Alejandra Lozano (ID) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 6-4, 0-6, 6-1
6. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Beatriz Flores (ID) 6-4, 6-1
1. Victoria Lozano/Almudena Sanz (ID) def. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 8-5
2. Molly Knox/Sophie Vickers (ID) def. Marie LeBlond/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 8-6
3. Alejandra Lozano/Beatriz Flores (ID) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 8-5