UTEP Tennis Drops Another Close Match, Loses to Pacific
Feb. 16, 2013
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico – The UTEP Tennis team won all three doubles matches, giving them the early advantage. But the Miners (3-5) lost four of the six singles matches, yet again losing, 4-3; this time to Pacific (5-2) at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex on Saturday.
Head coach Mark Roberts has seen his girls lose their third straight one-point match. He described the match as, “A real heart breaker.”
“Today we lost another close match,” he said. “It was a hard fought match that we just let slip away. Pacific was a great competitive team at all positions one through six and didn’t fight as hard as them at the bottom of the lineup. We are so close to winning these intense, 4-3, matches and the whole team needs to keep fighting hard for every single point. Tomorrow will be another opportunity and we have to be ready to earn our points.”
Anastasiya Sylenko made her spring debut Saturday afternoon. The sophomore from the Ukraine won her doubles match with freshman Jaime-Leigh Michau defeating Gergana Boncheva and Regina Suarez, 8-7. Suarez got back at Sylenko winning, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 6 singles.
The Miners will play the weekend host, New Mexico (2 p.m. MT) on Sunday. Local fans can follow the match with live stats at www.golobos.com.
1. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) def. Iveta Masarova (UPAC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Hana Ritterova (UPAC) def. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
3. Marie Leblond (UTEP) def. Susan Te (UPAC) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6
4. Christiana Ferrari (UPAC) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-4, 6-3
5. Gergana Boncheva (UPAC) def. Jaime-Leigh Michau (UTEP) 6-1, 6-0
6. Regina Suarez (UPAC) def. Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 6-2, 6-0
1. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Iveta Masarova/Hana Ritterova (UPAC) 8-7
2. Marie LeBlond/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Susan Te/Christiana Ferrari (UPAC) 8-1
3. Jaime-Leigh Michau/Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) def. Gergana Boncheva/Regina Suarez (UPAC) 8-7