Miners Fall Short to NAU, 4-3
Feb. 15, 2013
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico – The UTEP Tennis team came up short, 4-3, to Northern Arizona at the Linda Estes Tennis Complex Friday afternoon.
The Lumberjacks (1-4) gained the early lead on the Miners (3-4) on the doubles point. Juniors Marie Leblond and Gabi Vazquez won at No. 2 doubles over Nicole Perez and Ghizelene Doballah, 8-6. But the Miners lost the other two doubles matches that gave NAU the advantage.
Junior Rebeca Calvillo won, 6-3, 6-1, over Ghizelene Doballah at No. 1 singles, while Martina Trierweiler came out on the winning end, 6-2, 6-3, over Hannah Stone at No. 2 singles. Vazquez also won her singles match, 2-6, 6-3, 6-3, over Malia Wahinepio, but Marie Leblond, who went 3-0 in last weekend’s singles matches, lost, 6-0, 6-3, to Johanna Vang.
The Miners continue their weekend in the Land of Enchantment when they face Pacific on Saturday morning (10 a.m. MT).
1. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Ghizelene Doballah (NAU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) def. Hannah Stone (NAU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Marie Leblond (UTEP) 6-0, 6-3
4. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Malia Wahinepio (NAU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Alice Pacaut (NAU) def. Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) 6-2, 6-4
6. Nicole Perez (NAU) def. Jamie-Leigh Michau (UTEP) 6-2, 6-3
1. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 8-2
2. Marie LeBlond/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Nicole Perez/Ghizelene Doballah (NAU) 8-6
3. Malia Wahinepio/Alice Pacaut (NAU) def. Matilda Rose Tench/Jamie-Leigh Michau (UTEP) 8-2
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store