UTEP Tennis Falls To Illinois State, 5-2
Feb. 11, 2012
LAWRENCE, KAN.- For the second time in as many matches sophomores Rebeca Calvillo and Marie LeBlond displayed top form but it wasn't enough with UTEP falling to Illinois State, 5-2, in a neutral-site match at the Jayhawk Tennis Center Saturday afternoon.
The Miners (1-6) found themselves trailing 1-0 in the match after the Redbirds (2-2) claimed two of the three doubles matches to secure the point. Carolina DeLuca/LeBlond joined forces to down Hannah Esker/Heather Nisbet, 8-5, at No. 3 but that would prove the be the lone match to go the way of the Orange and Blue in doubles action.
Emmie Marx/Phyllis Tigges bounced Calvillo/Martina Trierweiler, 8-3, at No. 1 while Aniko Kiss/Ariane Maack bested Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Gabi Vazquez, 8-2, at No. 2.
UTEP looked sharper in singles play, particularly the play of Calvillo and LeBlond. At No. 6 singles, LeBlond waxed Stephanie Youngberg, 6-2, in the first set. Her foe then retired, sealing LeBlond's sixth consecutive triumph. She is now 14-4 overall in 2011-12, including 6-1 since starting dual play.
Calvillo, firmly entrenched at the No. 2 position, took down Phyllis Tiggers, 6-3, 7-5, to extend her winning streak to four. She trails only LeBlond for overall best record (10-4), while standing at 4-1 in dual play.
The Miners, though, couldn't get it going in the other matches. Trierweiler was dealt a 6-0, 6-2, setback by Kiss at the No. 1 position while Marx derailed Vazquez, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 3.
DeLuca did everything in her power to secure the first set vs. Abello at No. 4 singles only to fall 7-6. She didn't have much left in the tank after the close call, dropping the second set 6-1. Abdrakhmanova was saddled with a 6-1, 6-0 setback at No. 6 singles.
UTEP will continue its road swing with a pair of matches next week. The Miners are slated to play at UTSA at 12 p.m. MST on Feb. 18 while locking up with Texas State at 10 a.m. MST on Feb. 19.
1. Aniko Kiss (ISU) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 6-0, 6-2
2. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Phyllis Tigges (ISU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Emmie Marx (ISU) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-3, 6-1
4. Carolina Abello (ISU) def. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 7-6, 6-1
5. Hannah Esker (ISU) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 6-1, 6-0
6. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Stefanie Youngberg (ISU) 6-2, retired
1. Emmie Marx/Phyllis Tigges (ISU) def. Rebeca Calvillo/Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 8-3
2. Aniko Kiss/Ariane Maack (ISU) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 8-2
3. Carolina DeLuca/Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Hannah Esker/Heather Nisbet (ISU) 8-5
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store