UTEP Tennis Wins Again, Edges South Dakota, 4-3
Feb. 10, 2013
DES MOINES, Iowa – The UTEP Tennis team won its second in a row Saturday afternoon after they took down South Dakota, 4-3, at Roger Knapp Tennis Center.
The Miners (3-2) surpassed their win total from last season (2) and handed South Dakota its first loss of the season.
“Today was another close match and the girls did well to find a way to win,” head coach Mark Roberts said. “We won the doubles point which got us off to a good start. As a whole we still struggled with giving points away, just too many free points. Tomorrow will be another opportunity to practice staying consistent every point. But it feels good to win.”
Martina Trierweiler and Rebeca Calvillo won at No. 1 doubles over Maria Tortosa Bernabeu and Milica Pavlovic, 8-3, while the freshman tandem of Jamie-Leigh Michau and Malitda Rose Tench were victorious over Yamini Reddy and Veronika Makashov, 8-3. The two wins gave UTEP the first point of the afternoon.
The Miners closed out the match when Calvillo, Trierweiler, and LeBlond all won their singles matches. Calvillo beat Pavlovic, 6-0, 6-4 at No. 1 singles and Trierweiler won, 6-1, 6-1, over Michelle Elkin at No. 2 singles.
UTEP will play Milwaukee Sunday afternoon (12 p.m. MT).
1. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Milica Pavlovic (USD) 6-0, 6-4
2. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) def. Michelle Elkin (USD) 6-1, 6-1
3. Hafsa Laraibi (USD) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-4, 0-6, (10-7)
4. Marie Leblond (UTEP) def. Nina Barudzic (USD) 6-2, 6-2
6. Yamini Reddy (USD) def. Jamie-Leigh Michau (UTEP) 7-5, 6-4
1. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Maria Tortosa Bernabeu/Milica Pavlovic (USD) 8-3
2. Michelle Elkin/Hafsa Laraibi (USD) def. Gabi Vazquez/Marie Leblond (UTEP) 8-6
3. Jamie-Leigh Michau/Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) def. Yamini Reddy/Veronika Makashov 8-3