UTEP Tennis Battles But Drops Match At Kansas, 5-2
Feb. 10, 2012
LAWRENCE, KAN.– Sophomores Rebeca Calvillo and Marie LeBlond continued their strong play of late with respective straight set victories but UTEP was downed by Big 12 member Kansas, 5-2, at the Jayhawk Tennis Center Friday afternoon.
The Miners (1-5) were competitive in doubles play but the Jayhawks (2-0) emerged victorious on each of the courts to secure the point. Claire Dreyer/Victoria Khanevskaya snuck past the Orange and Blue’s duo of LeBlond/Carolina DeLuca, 8-6, at No. 3. Martina Trierweiler/Calvillo looked sharp at times vs. Dylan Windom/Marina Belen Luduena only to fall, 8-4, at the No. 1 slot. Paulina Los/Monica Pezzotti derailed UTEP’s Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Gabi Vazquez, 8-3, at the No. 2 position.
UTEP vied to rally in singles play, needing to claim four of six matches to pull it off. Calvillo dispatched Los, 7-6, 6-4, at No. 2 singles to secure her third straight triumph. LeBlond extended her winning streak to six thanks to crushing Khanevskaya, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 6.
Trierweiler got off to a good start at No. 1 vs. Pezzotti, winning the opening set 6-4. The home side’s top player regrouped, though, taking the second set, 6-4, and the decisive one, 6-1.
It was a similar story for Abdrakhmanova, who locked up with Dreyer at No. 5 singles. She rolled to a 6-2 win in the first stanza but Dreyer grabbed the final two sets, 6-1, 7-5.
DeLuca went back and forth against Belen at No. 4 singles, only to drop the first set, 7-6. She then was forced to retire.
Vazquez couldn’t get on track against Windom at No. 3 singles, and was saddled with a 6-3, 6-2 setback.
The Miners will look go regain their winning ways against Illinois State in a neutral-site matchup at 8 a.m. MST on Saturday.
1. Monica Pezzotti (KU) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Paulina Los (KU) 7-6, 6-4
3. Dylan Windom (KU) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-3, 6-2
4. Marina Belen Luduena (KU) def. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 7-6, retired
5. Claire Dreyer (KU) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Victoria Khanevskaya (KU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Dylan Windom/Marina Belen Luduena (KU) def. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 8-4
2. Paulina Los/Monica Pezzotti (KU) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 8-3
3. Claire Dreyer/Victoria Khanevskaya (KU) def. Marie LeBlond/Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 8-6