UTEP Tennis Edged Out By Northern Arizona, 4-3
Feb. 3, 2012
EL PASO, TEXAS– Marie LeBlond extended her win streak to three while Rebeca Calvillo and Dariya Abdrakhmanova also picked up victories but UTEP was ultimately held off by Northern Arizona, 4-3, at the El Paso Tennis Club Friday afternoon.
The Lumberjacks (1-1) claimed the doubles point and the early lead, but the Miners (1-3) made things interesting with a renewed effort in singles action. UTEP received triumphs at No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 singles, but was saddled with three-set losses at No. 3 and No.4 to go along with its top player (Martina Trierweiler) being forced to retire.
“We are getting better every match,” UTEP head coach Victor Aguilar said. “Northern Arizona is a good team. We fought hard, and are getting there.”
Trierweiler/Calvillo set the tone at doubles with a resounding 8-2 win against Malia Wahinepio/Nicole Perez at the top slot. It would not be enough, however, with Johanna Vang/Hannah Stone downing Gabi Vazquez/Carolina DeLuca, 8-2, at the No. 2 position and Alice Pacaut/Ghizelena Doballah dispatching Abdrakhmanova/LeBlond, by the same score at No. 3.
The Miners regrouped and looked much sharper in singles play. LeBlond cruised past Pacaut, 6-3, 7-5, at No. 6 while Calvillo handled Stone, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 2. Abdrakhmanova won the points when they mattered most in a 6-4, 7-6 conquest against Perez at No. 5 singes, putting the Miners just one win shy of completing the rally.
It did not come to fruition, though, with Trierweiler retiring after dropping the first set to Doballah, 7-6. Wahinepio lost the first set against DeLuca, 2-6, only to strike back in the second and third sets, 6-4, 7-5, at No. 3 singles. Vazquez was stricken with a similar fate, coming up shy, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1, to Vang at No. 4.
The Miners will look to bounce back when they play host to Air Force at 12 p.m. MST Sunday.
Northern Arizona 4, UTEP 3
1. DOBALLAH, Ghizelene (NAU) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 7-6, retired
2. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. STONE, Hannah (NAU) 7-5, 6-1
3. WAHINEPIO, Malia (NAU) def. Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
4. VANG, Johanna (NAU) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
5. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) def. PEREZ, Nicole (NAU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
6. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. PACAUT, Alice (NAU) 6-3, 7-5
1. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. PEREZ, Nicole/WAHINEPIO, Malia (NAU) 8-2
2. VANG, Johanna/STONE, Hannah (NAU) def. Gabi Vazquez/Carolina DeLuca (UTEP) 8-2
3. DOBALLAH, Ghizelene/PACAUT, Alice (NAU) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova/Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 8-2
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store