UTEP Tennis Notches First 'W' of 2014
Feb. 2, 2014
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - First-year head coach Myriam Sopel guided the Miners to a 4-3 win over Conference USA foe UTSA on a rainy Super Bowl Sunday at the UTSA Tennis Center.
Sopel earned her first win with the Orange and Blue.
The Miners (1-2, 1-0 C-USA) captured the doubles point as the pair of senior Rebeca Calvillo and junior Davina Meza defeated Jacobea Junger and Miriam Canudas, 7-5. Seniors Marie LeBlond and Gabi Vazquez teamed up to shutout Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shichkova, 6-0.
"It was our first win, so it obviously feels really nice," Sopel said. "It was the most important match of the weekend because it was a conference opponent. Above all, it was a team win and everybody contributed. The girls had great energy, great intensity, and great attitude across the board. We started really strong with doubles as the doubles point is very crucial to carry momentum over to singles competition."
The Miners fought through tough elements as the match was delayed due to inclement weather.
"It was 30 degrees with an awful wind and it was freezing," Sopel said. "It was a matter of who wanted it more and the girls wanted that win really bad. It was a good boost of confidence for next weekend in Arizona."
Calvillo earned her first dual-match singles win, downing Junger, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 1 spot. Vasquez defeated Nicole Karaklis, 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 4 position and freshman Daphne Visscher earned her second dual-match singles win, beating Lina Hallgren, 6-2, 6-1, on the No. 5 court.
The Miners travel to Tucson, Ariz. to take on Arizona (Feb. 7, 2 p.m. MT), Grand Canyon (Feb. 8, 2 p.m. MT) and Sacramento State (Feb. 9, 10 a.m. MT).
1. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) 6-4, 6-2
2. Miriam Canudas (UTSA) def. Davina Meza (UTEP) 6-2, 6-1
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 6-2, 6-3
4. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) 6-3, 6-4
5. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) 6-2, 6-1
6. Irene Gonzalez (UTSA) def. Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) 6-3, 6-1
1. Rebeca Calvillo/Davina Meza (UTEP) def. Jacobea Junger/Miriam Canudas (UTSA) 7-5
2. Marie LeBlond/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Daniela Garcia-Diaz/Alena Shichkova (UTSA) 6-0
3. Lina Hallgren/Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Matilda Rose Tench/Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-1