UTEP Tennis Drops First Match of 2014
Jan. 31, 2014
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - The UTEP women's tennis team fell to McNeese State, 7-0, on Friday afternoon in Myriam Sopel's debut as head coach.
The Miners (0-1) were swept across the board.
"We started with great energy," Sopel said. "But we were outmatched in the end. As for my first match as UTEP head coach, I felt comfortable and the girls applied the advice I gave them - they were really receptive."
Junior Davina Meza fell in her dual-match debut to Sara Castellano, 6-4, 2-6, 10-5. It was one of three singles matches to go three sets. Senior Rebeca Calvillo lost to Klaudia Gawlik, 6-1, 6-2. Gawlik, a sophomore, has won her first 22 dual-matches in her career.
The Cowboys (1-0) won the doubles point to gain momentum. The team of Matilda Rose Tench and Daphne Visscher fell to Gawlik and Castellano, 6-4, while Marie LeBlond and Gabi Vasquez lost to Andreea Nenu and Julia Kral, 6-4.
UTEP will continue its road trip when they take on Texas State on Saturday (9 a.m. MT) in San Marcos, Texas.
"I look forward to playing Texas State, they are a good team," Sopel said. "I expect our team to come out with a lot of energy and intensity. It's going to come down to winning the deciding points to build our confidence."
Under new NCAA rules, the third set will be played to 10 points, while the doubles matches will be shortened from an eight-game set to a regular 6-game set. The new rule is an experiment that will be in place during January and February.
1. Klaudia Gawlik (MCN) def. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 6-1, 6-2
2. Sara Castellano (MCN) def. Davina Meza (UTEP) 6-4, 2-6, 10-5
3. Julia Kral (MCN) def. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) 7-5, 4-6, 10-6
4. Viven Borbely (MCN) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 3-6, 7-5, 10-5
5. Anastasia Surkova (MCN) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-3, 6-3
6. Andreea Nenu (MCN) def. Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) 6-4, 7-6 (10-5)
1. Anastasia Surkova/Viven Borbely (MCN) vs. Rebeca Calvillo/Davina Meza (UTEP) unfinished
2. Klaudia Gawlik/Sara Castellano (MCN) def. Matilda Rose Tench/Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 6-4
3. Andreea Nenu/Julia Kral (MCN) def. Marie LeBlond/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 6-4
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store