Miners Open C-USA Play this Weekend
March 8, 2013
EL PASO, Texas – The UTEP softball team will open Conference USA play against Memphis this weekend at the Helen of Troy Softball Complex. The Miners (7-8) will take on the Tigers (7-13) in a doubleheader starting at 1 p.m. MT on Saturday.
The Orange and Blue have not played a game since beating Belmont, 11-5, on February 28 in Nashville, Tenn. The Miners were set to play another game against Belmont and four more games at the Purple and Gold Challenge in Nashville, but were canceled due to inclement weather.
The Miners put up eight runs in the sixth inning against Belmont to clinch victory. Senior Ashley Collazo got her squad on the board when she singled up the middle that scored two runs to tie the game. Sophomore Ariel Armendariz, who recently walked on the team, broke the game open when she belted a bases loaded double to left center. Junior Miraya Montiel finally broke into the RBI stat column when she tripled to right that scored two runs.
Memphis recently lost to SEC power Mississippi State (15-4), 8-1, on March 6. The Tigers are led by Ijiah Hargrove’s .385 batting average. Morgan Mosby leads the team with eight RBI and is second with a .333 average. UTEP and Memphis will square off again at 10 a.m. MT on Sunday.
The First Pitch
- The Miners have added more speed to the new season as they have 13 stolen bases compared to stealing 16 in all of 2012.
- Miners have 17 doubles and four triples (seven 3Bs in ’12).
- UTEP is getting much production from its newcomers in 2013. Freshman Kawehiokalani Netane (.400) and junior transfer Erika Arcuri (.333) are the team leaders in hitting. While junior transfer Alanna Leasau leads the team with 16 RBI. Leasau and senior Kayleigh Walts are tied with the team lead with three home runs each.
- Senior Kayla Oranger has five stolen bases to this point of the season after stealing one in 2012.
- UTEP is 5-15 all-time versus Memphis, including three losses in 2012. Miners were outscored 16-3 in those three losses.
- Miners have lost the last six to the Tigers, their last win coming on March 21, 2010 with a final of 3-1.
- UTEP is 4-5 all-time at Helen of Troy Softball Complex against Memphis.