UTEP Topples Marshall, 1-0

Sept. 23, 2011

Final Stats |  Photo by Ivan Pierre Aguirre 

Box Score In PDF Format Get Acrobat Reader

EL PASO, TEXAS – Behind a penalty-kick goal from junior Tess Hall at 25:59 and stifling team defense, the UTEP soccer team downed Marshall, 1-0, in the Conference USA opener for both squads Friday evening.

The Miners (7-2-1, 1-0-0 C-USA) outshot the Thundering Herd (2-6-1, 0-1-0) 21-6, including 7-2 in shots on goal, while also enjoying a 7-4 advantage in corner kicks. Freshman Sarah Dilling registered a pair of saves, while also breaking up potentially dangerous situations by making good reads off her line, on the way to posting the shutout.

An energetic crowd of 620 was on hand to cheer on the home side, which remained undefeated (6-0-0) in the Sun City on the year. All six home triumphs have been of the shutout variety, with the Miners out-scoring the opposition by a combined count of 15-0. Overall the Orange and Blue are undefeated over their past five contests (4-0-1).

UTEP applied pressure from the onset, earning three corners within the first 10 minutes of the match. It couldn’t convert on any of the chances, but the message had been sent that the Miners would be assertive in their attack.

Kenah Linger tested Betsy Haugh at 10:37 but the MU netminder came up with the save. Tori Martyn used some solid dribbling to create some space only to have her shot corralled 21:25. The Orange and Blue continued to attack as the period wore on, and they would earn a penalty kick as result at 25:59.

Hall calmly stood over the ball, with the crowd ready to erupt. She didn’t disappoint, putting the chance away into the upper right-hand corner to afford UTEP a 1-0 advantage. It marked her team-high-tying fourth goal of the campaign, and with the way the Miners’ defense was playing, it would prove to be more than enough.

UTEP controlled play the rest of the period, compiling five more shots but it had to settle for the 1-0 lead at the break.

Marshall opened up the second half with a bit more energy, recording a shot and a corner kick within the first four minutes of the stanza. UTEP’s stop troops were up to the task, though.

The Miners regrouped nicely and limited the Herd to a lone corner over the ensuing 22 minutes. At the other end of the pitch they generated some fine looks, including a shot by Katie Dorman which forced Haugh to make a diving stop.

Haugh also came up with a nice save on a header from Martyn at 79:15, effectively keeping her squad within striking distance. The Herd vied to tie the tilt a few minutes later, but fundamental goalkeeping from Dilling resulted in a nice save on a shot by Megan Tabler at 85:53. She punched the shot high, and then UTEP’s defense took care of business on the ensuing corner kick.

She was called upon again in the 88th minute, coming up with a nice stop on MU’s leading scorer Angela Desumma.

The Miners launched a counter attack in an attempt to find an insurance tally only to have the shot by Brittany Kindzierski deflect off the post.

It proved to be a moot point, though, with UTEP playing keep away in the final minute of play.

Visit UTEPAthletics.com for all the latest on UTEP soccer, in addition to checking out the team’s Facebook Page and Twitter account.



The Big Picture Photo Galleries
Follow The Miners