UTEP To Face Southern Miss In C-USA Semifinals At 11:30 A.M. MDT Friday
March 14, 2014
THE OPENING ACT
- Third-seeded UTEP (24-6) will battle second-seed Southern Miss (25-5) in the semifinals of the 2014 Conference USA Women's Basketball Championships at 11:30 a.m. MDT Friday.
- The game will be nationally televised by CBS Sports Network.
- Fans can also stay-up-date by following the Miners on twitter (@UTEPWBB) or listening live on 1150 AM with Mark Brunner and Traci Miller.
- The Miners are making their third straight appearance in the C-USA semifinals.
- UTEP went 2-1 to advance to the semis in 2013.
- The Miners won three games in three days to claim the 2012 C-USA tourney title.
- UTEP secured runner-up honors in 2008.
- Other semifinal showings came in the WAC (1993, 1995 & 2004).
- 15-20 record all time in conference tournament play, including 12-11 under Keitha Adams.
- 11-6 in the event since 2007.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- UTEP leads 9-3, including 5-0 at home & 2-0 in neutral-site match-ups.
- Southern Miss claimed first two match-ups.
- Miners are 8-1 vs. the Golden Eagles since.
- UTEP topped Southern Miss, 86-85, in OT on Jan. 22, 2014, in the lone meeting on year. The Miners overcame a school-record 23-point deficit to win the game.
- USM led 45-22 with 16:31 o play before the rally.
HOME SWEET HOME
- 147-55 at home during Keitha Adams' era.
- 139-37 in El Paso since 2003-04.
- 112-23 since `06-07, with 12+ wins each year.
- Four 10+ win seasons in 27 years before Adams.
- Only one of those teams (12-1, `88-89) hit mark.
- 45-6 since the start of 2011-12.
- 17-1 on year at home to set school record.
- Last two-game home skid was in 2009-10.
- Have not dropped 2 league home tilts in span of 7 days since 2005-06 (first year in C-USA).
LAST TIME OUT
UTEP 81, Louisiana Tech 72 (C-USA Quarterfinals)
- First-team All-Conference USA honoree Kayla Thornton posted a double-double (25 points, 12 rebounds) while C-USA Sixth Player of the Year Jenzel Nash provided 23 points off the bench, and third-seeded UTEP held off 14th-seed Louisiana Tech, 81-72, in the quarterfinals of the 2014 C-USA Women's Basketball Championships at Memorial Gym on March 13.
- The Lady Techsters led 48-43 with 11:32 remaining in regulation before UTEP found another level.
- The Miners put together a 17-2 run in a span of less than four minutes, with Nash contributing 11 points during the sequence.
- The margin swelled to as many as 14 (72-58, 3:41 to play) but Louisiana Tech refused to go away quietly. It whittled the deficit all the way down to six (78-72, 00:23) but it was too little too late.
- The Miners' 81 points are the fifth-highest total for a postseason game in program history.
- Thornton registered 25 points to lift her career total to 1,552. The program standard is 1,555, which is held by former Miner Jareica Hughes (2006-10).
- The 25 points tie as the third most by a UTEP player in a postseason contest.
- Senior Kristine Vitola also reached double figures (12 points) while swatting a career-best six blocked shots. Those rejections establish a UTEP postseason single-game standard.
- Kelli Willingham nailed a three-point shot in the first half to lift her career total to 208, which puts her tied for first all time at UTEP with former Miner Amy Pack (208, 1993-97).
The Last Meeting
January 22, 2014
Don Haskins Center
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store