UTEP To Open 2013 C-USA Championships Against Marshall Wednesday
March 11, 2013
THE OPENING ACT
- UTEP will begin defense of its 2012 Conference USA Tournament Championship when it faces Marshall in the 1st round of this year’s event at 12:30 p.m. MT in Tulsa, Okla., Wednesday.
- The #5 seed Miners (20-9, 8-8) will aim to avenge a regular-season loss to the #12 seed Thundering Herd (9-20, 3-13).
- Victor will advance to face fourth-seeded UAB on Thursday.
- Game will be broadcast locally in El Paso on 1150 AM.
- Marshall has dropped its past four contests.
- UTEP snapped three-game skid by besting Tulane, 71-52, (3/8).
- 2nd straight 20-win season & 4th overall in program history.
- 2006-07 (22-8), 2007-08 (28-4) & 2011-12 (29-4) all did so.
- 18+ wins for the 5th time in the past 7 seasons.
- Happened once (18-12, 1992-93) in 1st 32 years of program.
- Posted a winning percentage of .500 or better at the halfway point in league play (5-3, finished 8-8) for the 7th straight year.
- Achieved 3 times in 15 campaigns before streak started.
- 10th straight season with least six league victories.
- 4 such years out of 20 before Adams (no league for 7 years).
- UTEP is 2-0 on neutral-site games this year & 20-12 all time during the Keitha Adams era in the situation.
- 12-19 record all time in conference tournament play.
- 9-10 during the Adams era in league tournaments.
- 8-5 at them since 2007, including 3-0 last year to win title.
- 2012 C-USA Tourney crown was the first in program history.
- Runner up at the 2008 C-USA Tournament Championship.
- Other semifinal showings were in WAC (1993, 1995 & 2004).
- Used 1 win to advance to the semifinals for each of those years.
DEALING WITH ADVERSITY
- Projected starter Jenzel Nash tore her ACL in exh. game (11/3).
- Starting C Kristine Vitola tore her ACL 3rd game of year (11/18).
- Miners adjusted & rolled to 17-3 record, including 5-2 in C-USA.
- 6th player Saidah Zuberi Allen tore her ACL at Tulane (2/7).
- She led reserves in minutes (14.1), points (3.6) & boards (5.0).
- Zuberi Allen injury left 11 healthy players (10 scholarship).
- 3-6 since that point, with fatigue for several players a factor.
Player MPG Before MPG After Diff
Cameasha Turner* 10.9 21.9 +11.0
Anete Steinberga* 27.1 34.3 +7.2
Kayla Thornton* 28.7 35.0 +6.3
Kelli Willingham* 31.4 37.1 +5.7
Chrishauna Parker* 27.8 31.3 +3.5
Irene Gari 25.1 21.9 -3.2
(Turner has earned 3 starts with Gari battling an injury).
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Best overall win% (66.5) of C-USA teams since joining in 2005-06.
- 163-82 overall record, including 20-9 this year, in timeframe.
- 3-0 on year vs. teams from power-league conferences.
- Most league wins & best win% of each team since 2005-06.
- 79-49 (61.7), including going 8-8 in league this year.
- Tied for most years (4) with 10+ C-USA wins since 2005-06.
- Votes in both top-25 polls for 8 straight weeks before falling out.
- Kelli Willingham was voted to the C-USA All-Academic Team.
- Marked 2nd straight year that she was so honored.
- Thornton was also voted to the all-defensive team.
- 2nd straight year for Thornton on the 2nd team for All C-USA.
- Initial all-conference squad selection for Steinberga.
- Thornton is 1st Miner since Jareica Hughes (four straight years, 2007-10) & 5th overall to garner multiple all-league accolades.
- Monica Ramirez (1993 & 1994), Kiana Taylor (1996 & 1997) and Amy Pack (2000 & 2001) did so when UTEP was in the WAC.
- 2nd straight year & 5th overall for multiple players on team.
- Five C-USA weekly award recipients.
QUITE A RUN
- 49-13 since start of the 2011-12 season, including 20-9 on year.
- 32 wins, including 8 this year, by 10+ points.
- 23-9 in C-USA games since 2011-12 (15-1 last year, 8-8 this year).
- 65-27 overall since the start of 2010-11 campaign.
- 24 of 27 losses have been single digits since start of 2010-11.
- One this year (at Marshall, 47-59, 2/14)
- Others were: (@UCSB,50-68, 12/11/10 & @ Houston, 61-77, 2/20/11).
UTEP & THE STAT RANKINGS
- Top-4 ranking in 8 of 14 major stat categories (chart, pg. 1).
- Pace C-USA in 2 categories (FG% def & RB margin).
- 11th in NCAA in FG% def., 33rd in RB margin & 67th in W/L%.
- Best overall (2,708) & league-only attendance (3,529).
- Kayla Thornton is 1 of 2 players in C-USA with top-10 ranking for both rebounding (8.7-t5th) & scoring (15.3-t7th).
- Anete Steinberga is only player in C-USA to be in top 12 for scoring (15.3-t7th), rebounding (7.4-11th) & FG% (43.4-12th
- Chrishauna Parker is 3rd in rebounding (8.9), 4th in FG% (50.5) & assists (4.2), 9th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.2) & 30th in scoring (9.2).
- Kelli Willingham is 4th in three-point % (34.1), 6th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.5),12th in assists (3.1) & 28th in scoring (9.4).
INSIDE THE SERIES
- UTEP leads the series, 5-4, but Marshall handed the Miners a 59-47 setback in Huntington, W. Va. on Feb. 14, 2013.
- Miners posted a home win during the 2011-12 campaign.
- MU had won 3 in a row before that UTEP victory.
GOING BACK IN TIME
at UTEP 71, Tulane 52 (3/9/13)
- UTEP outscored Tulane, 44-21, in the second half.
- Opened 2nd stanza on game-changing 23-2 run. The Miners trailed by four at the break.
- Hit 50.0% of shots in period & held Tulane to 19.4%.
- Tulane’s 6 losses on year before this were by combined 18 points.
- Steinberga set career highs for rebounds & blocked shots.
- Thornton equaled her career high for rebounds.
- UTEP matched its season high with nine three pointers.
GETTING TO KNOW MARSHALL
- Marshall is 9-20 overall (6-7 home, 1-10 away & 2-3 neutral).
- Alternated wins & losses over 1st 11 games, standing 6-5.
- Dropped 8 in a row before beating Memphis, 55-54, to snap skid.
- Lost next 2 games, with both setbacks by at least 15 points.
- Won 2 of next 3, including 59-47 effort vs. UTEP (2/14).
- Dropped final 4 contests of the regular season.
- 4-1 on year when scoring 65+ points.
- 6-1 on season when conceding 54 points or less.
- 8 players at +5.0 points per game but none in double figures.
- 2 players with +5.9 rebounds per game but no one else at +4.5.
- No player has more assists than turnovers.
- 74 of 103 blocks by Leandra King (38) & Chukwuka Ezeigbo (36).
- 87 of 188 steals by Suporia Dickens (44) & Erica Woods (43).
- Founded in 1837 & named after John Marshall (4th Chief Justice US).
- Closed much of 1860’s as result of Civil War
- City & campus heavily damaged as result of flood in 1937.
- John F. Kennedy spoke at the school during his 1960 campaign.
- Notable alumni include the late Robert Byrd (longest running member in history of U.S. Congress, Conchata Ferrell (actress) & Hal Greer (10-time NBA All-Star).
RUNDOWN ON THE 2012-13 MINERS
- Have lost 3 scholarship players due to injury.
- 6th player Saidah Zuberi Allen (at Tulane, 2/7) was lost with knee injury after earning bench-best 13.5 mpg through 21 games.
- Vitola was off to a tremendous start, leading the Miners in field-goal percentage (.600), rebounding (8.3) and scoring (16.0).
- Nash had 5.1 ppg in 11.9 mpg in promising freshman year.
- 1 healthy senior after Vitola’s injury.
- Miners had largest senior class (7) a year ago.
- Freshman F Tommitrise Collins will redshirt.
- Picked 2nd in the 2012-13 Conference USA Preseason Poll.
-Tulane was tabbed as the favorite to win the league.
TOUGH TO REPLACE
- Graduated biggest class (7) in program history.
- Headlined by 2012 C-USA Tournament MVP & second-team all C-USA honoree Gloria Brown, who paced the Miners in blocked shots (97), FT made (102), attempted (125), percentage (.816), FG% (.527), points per game (12.1) and rebounds per contest (8.8). She repeated as the C-USA 6th Player of the Year.
- Kim Smith (2.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.8 apg) & Erika Warren (5.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg) started while Baiba Eglite (1.6 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.4 apg), Briana Green (2.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg & 1.1 apg), Whitney Houston (1.4 ppg, 0.1 rpg, 0.5 apg) & Melisa Mendes (4.1 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.7 apg) came off bench.
THE BASIC FACTS ON UTEP
- 466-596 since program started (1974-75) including 20-9 this year.
- Won 3 league titles, including claiming both the 2012 C-USA regular season & tournament championship (29-4 final mark).
- First league crown was in 2007-08.
- Became first C-USA women’s team to go 16-0 in league play.
- Finished 28-4 overall 2007-08, helped by school & C-USA setting 23-game winning streak.
- Appeared in two NCAA Tournaments, forging a mark of 1-2.
- Advanced to second round in 2008.
- Secured Conference USA’s automatic bid last year but derailed by national power (11/12) Penn State, 85-77, in the first round.
- Will celebrate its 100th year as a school in 2014.
- Notable alumni include former ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Sam Donaldson, well-respected NFL referee Ed Hochuli, former NASA astronaut Danny Olivas engineer & Dennis Poon, who designed Taipei 101 & some of the tallest buildings in the world.
THE ADAMS FILE
- Keitha Adams is 204-156 in 12th year at UTEP.
- Is program’s all-time win leader.
- 331-193 overall mark in 17 years as collegiate head coach.
- Joined Miners after 127-47 run in 5 years with Independence C.C.
- 1 of 5 active C-USA women’s basketball coaches with 300+ wins.
- All 4 20+ win seasons & 5 of 6 with 18+ wins at UTEP under Adams.
- Produced 7 straight & 8 total seasons with 16+ wins.
- Feat achieved three times in 27 years prior.
- All 3 league championships at school during her tenure.
- Same goes for both NCAA Tournament bids.
- 191-112 record past 10 years, including 20-8 in 2012-13.
- 115-156 was best record for 10-year stretch before her arrival.
- Led UTEP to 11-8 mark on national TV games.
- Earned votes in top-25 poll in 5 years, including 2012-13.
- Never achieved feat before Adams’ era.
- Nationally ranked for final six weeks of 07-08.
- 12 of 18 individual career record holders at UTEP played for Adams.
- Coached 15 players who have gone on to play professionally.
- Impacted the international game at the highest level, with Noni Wharemate representing New Zealand at ‘08 Olympic Games.
- Every player who has exhausted her eligibility at UTEP during her tenure has graduated.
HOME SWEET HOME
- Home record of 131-54 in Keitha Adams era.
- 96-22 since 2006-07, including finishing 14-3 this year.
- 57-27 was the best 7-year record before Adams.
- 14 home wins ranked tied as the third most in single season.
- 29-5 over past 33 home games.
- 7th straight year with 12+ home victories.
- Four 10+ win seasons in 27 years before Adams.
- Only one of those teams (12-1, 1988-89) reached 12.
- 129-42 since starting streak in 2002-03.
- Have not lost back-to-back games in El Paso since falling by combined 4 points in final 2 home games of 2009-10.
- Have not dropped 2 league home tilts in span of 7 days since 2005-06, its first year as C-USA member.
- Overall road mark of 53-90 under Keitha Adams.
- 39-37 since 2006-07, including finishing 4-6 this year.
- 25-57 was the best seven-year record before Adams.
- 15 road wins since 2011-12 to equal most in 2-year span.
- 4 road wins tied as 7th most in single-season history at UTEP.
- 11-1 on road in 2011-12 to set school standard.
- 16-7 over past 23 road contests.
- Lost 5 final road games of the campaign.
- Had won school-record 12 consecutive C-USA road tilts.
- Previous mark was 9 (2006-07 through 2007-08)
Two winning road seasons under Adams.
- Never happened in first 27 years of program.
- Twice finished at .500 during Adams’ tenure.
- Only occurred a pair of times before her.
- Starters: 1640 points, 933 rebounds, 334 assists & 158 steals.
- Reserves: 280 points, 362 rebounds, 75 assists & 54 steals.
- 4 starters at + 9.0 (15.3, 15.3, 9.3, 9.2) & the 5th at 5.4.
- No reserve above 3.0 (2.6, 2.2, 2.0, 1.1 & 1.1).
- 69+ points in 5 of the past 6 games.
- 60 points or less in the prior three contests.
- 30.4 points on avg, 36.5 FG%, 30.9 3pt% in 1st half of games.
- 35.7 points on avg. 40.5 FG%, 28.4 3pt% in 2nd half of games.
- +40.0% shooting in 3 of past 5 contests.
- 3 such games in the first 11 C-USA tilts.
- 145 three-pointers to rate 8th on team’s single-season list.
- 2011-12 squad drilled 161 to hold 8th place.
- 436 offensive boards are 7th on UTEP single-season charts.
- 1991-92 squad holds 6th place at (451).
- 43.3% (154-of-356) shooting in 6 C-USA games at +40.0%.
- 33.3% (190-of-570) from floor in 9 C-USA games below 40%.
- 65.5 ppg, 38.1 FG%; 56.2 ppga, 33.8 FG% def. in non-conference.
- 63.5 ppg, 37.2 FG%; 60.9 ppga, 34.6 FG% def. in C-USA.
- 37-of-105 (35.2%) on three pointers the past 4 games.
- 13-of-75 (17.3%) from distance the prior 4 contests.
- 12-of-19 (63.2%) on free throws against Tulane (3/8)
- 6-of-8 (75.0%) on free throws at SMU (3/3).
- 196-of-251 (78.1) in free throws in 12 games +70%.
- 195-of-339 (57.5) at the line in other 17 contests.
- 10+ offensive boards in 26 of 29 tilts, with 8 of 20+.
- 6 against Houston (2/21), 8 at Rice (1/24) & 8 at SMU (3/13).
- 36 total assists (18/18) in the past 2 contests
- 12 helpers or fewer in of 8 of the prior 12 tilts before surge.
- 23 turnovers total the past 2 games.
- 19+ giveaways in each of the prior 4 contests.
- More turnovers than foes in 9 games (4-5).
- 21 points from the bench the past 2 games.
- 25 points combined by reserves the prior 7 contests.
- 17+ assists in 4 straight games midway through the season.
- 4th time in school history to have such a streak.
- 2005-06 & 2007-08 (4 games) 2006-07 (5 games).
- Scored 80+ points vs. both SHSU & UTPA.
- First time with 80+ points in consecutive games vs. D1 foes since 2005-06 (85, at N. Colo., 12/13 & 83 vs. Ill. St. 12/18).
- Back-to-back games of 20+ offensive boards (SHSU/UTPA).
- Feat hadn’t been achieved since 2006-07.
- Allowed 70+ points in 3 of past 6 games.
- Happened twice in first 24 contests.
- Prevented 18 teams from cracking 60 points, with 6 at 50 or less.
- Scoring defense (58.2) would be the 4th best at the school.
- 23 foes held below 40%, with 9 connecting on less than 30%.
- No opponent has shot about 50% from floor in past 73 games.
- 859 defensive boards are 5th on UTEP single-season charts.
- 1983-84 UTEP team holds 4th (939).
- 1295 total rebounds rates 3rd on school single-season list.
- 1988-89 squad is 2nd with 1306.
- Rebounding avg. (44.7) would set the school record.
- The 1996-97 team is current category record holder at 44.5.
- 11 of 12 opponents with 13 assists or less.
- Memphis (2/24) had 18 assists & shot opp. season-high 48.1%.
- Held past 2 teams to 9-of-39 (23.1%) on three pointers.
- Prior 2 teams were 16-of-30 (53.3%) on 3 pointers past 2 games.
- 6 straight foes with 10+ offensive boards for 1st time this year.
- USM (2/10) & Marshall (2/14) both finished with exactly 7.
- Blocked 3 shots against Tulane (3/8).
- Did not block a shot the prior 2 tilts.
- Tulane was 9-of-13 (69.2%) on free throws on (3/8).
- Previous 5 teams averaged 19 free throws & 28 attempts.
- Equaled a school record by holding four straight opponents to 50 points or less (12/5-12/20) before SHSU had 66 (12/28).
- The 1992-93 squad was the first to do so.
- Also streaks of 3 in a row of conceding 50 points or less in 1974-75, 1980-81, 2003-04 & 2011-12.
- Kept NM State (12/5) & ENMU (12/8) to less than 23%.
- 1st time in school history consecutive foes fell shy of figure.
- TSU (11/22) tied for 7th most turnovers by opponent with 33.
QUICK HITTERS ACROSS THE ROSTER
#2 Cameasha Turner (5-9, Freshman, G)
- One of 8 Miners to earn +10.0 mpg (13.2), playing 25 games.
- Started 3 of past 5 games. Came off bench in first 21 appearances.
- 6.0 ppg (10-28 FG, 4-11 3PT, 6-9 FT) & 4.4 rpg in past 5 games.
- 1.8 ppg (12-51 FG, 3-21 3PT, 9-20 FT) & 1.5 rpg in 1st 20 tilts.
- 10 points & 12 boards (both career highs) at SMU (3/3).
- 7 points & 4 rebounds (twice) were previous career bests.
- 6-of-13 on three-point shots the past 7 tilts.
- 1-of-19 from distance over her initial 18 appearances.
- 4 fouls total in a combined 65 minutes the past 2 tilts.
- Fouled out in consecutive games before (38 total minutes).
- 18 total fouls (including foul outs) the prior 4 games.
- 10+ minutes in 9 straight games.
- 11 minutes total in first 3 league appearances.
- Back-to-back games with 30+ minutes.
- Did so once over her first 23 games played with the Miners.
- 7+ minutes in each of the 13 non-conference contests.
- Rated as No. 74 point guard in country & assessed a grade of 86 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#3 Kelli Willingham (5-6, Junior, PG)
- Started every game & tops team in assist/turnover ratio (1.5), three pointers made (58) & minutes per game (33.2).
- 2nd on squad in assists per game (3.1) & total steals (31).
- One of four Miners with at least 9.0 ppg (9.3).
- 58 three pointers is 6th on UTEP single-season list.
- Sviatlana Trukshanina (1994-95) rates 5th at 159.
- 170 tries from distance are 3rd in UTEP single-season charts.
- Amy Billhymer (1996-97) rates 2nd at 196.
- 10+ points in 3 straight games & 4 of the past 5.
- 19 points combined the prior 3 tilts.
- 10 double-digit contests on year & 31 career.
- Hit at least 4 three pointers in 3 of the past 5 games.
- Season high was 3 (four times) over first 24 contests.
- Made at least 1 three pointer in every game but at Tulsa (1/9).
- Season-high 7 assists vs. Tulane (3/8) & 10 total past 2 games.
- 10 assists combined the prior 5 contests.
- Did not have a turnover against Tulane (3/8).
- 2+ giveaways in each of the previous 8 contests.
- 2-of-3 (66.7%) on free throws the past 3 games.
- 8-of-9 (88.9%) at the charity stripe the previous 2.
- 30+ minutes in 19 of past 20 contests & team-high 24 times.
- 23 minutes vs SMU (2/3), thanks largely to 2 fouls in 1st half.
- 35+ minutes in 9 straight tilts.
- 6 such contests in first 20 games.
- 8 games with 4+ rebounds. Had 5 such games in 2011-12.
- 2012 & 2013 C-USA All-Academic Team member.
- 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Medal recipient.
- 61-27 as starter, including 20-9 in 2012-13.
#4 Irene Gari (6-1, Freshman, G)
- 23.9 mpg while playing in all 29 games, with 23 starts.
- 3rd on team in three pointers made (18), 4th in rebounds (3.1) & double-digit scoring games (7), & 5th in scoring (5.4).
- 6.2 ppg (56-of-173 FG/17-of-64 3pt FG), 3.5 rpg in 23 starts.
- 2.3 ppg (4-of-24 FG/4-24 3 pt FG), 1.8 rpg in 6 games off bench.
- Off bench in 3 of past 5 games while dealing with ankle injury.
- Had started 21 straight before getting hurt.
- 18 triples are 10th most by freshman in UTEP single season.
- 3+ boards in 18 games, with nine of at least 5.
- 21 offensive boards, but only 7 in the 13 C-USA contests.
- 5 turnovers the past 2 games.
- 6 giveaways total the previous 5 tilts.
- 3 fouls combined the past 3 contests.
- 10 fouls combined in the 3 games before.
- Named C-USA Freshman of Week on Dec. 10.
- First player in program history from Spain.
#5 Kayla Thornton (6-1, Junior, F)
- Started every game, earning second-most mpg (30.6).
- T1st for team lead in scoring (15.3) while pacing it in double-doubles (11) & steals (56).
- 2nd for double-digit scoring games (20), double-figure rebounding games (13), rebounds (8.7) & offensive boards (91).
- 1 of 3 Miners with 70+ free throws (78-of-112).
- 49.4% (122-of-247) on year in 2-point shots.
- 27.9% (41-of-147) on season in 3-point tries.
- Double figures in scoring in 5 of the past 6 contests.
- Fell shy of 10 points in 2 of the 3 games before.
- 1-of-12 (8.4%) on three pointers the past 3 games.
- 6-of-13 (46.2%) from distance at Memphis (2/24).
- The 6 three pointers was one shy of the school record.
- Career-high 32 points in the game at Memphis (2/24).
- 5-of-11 (45.5%) on free throws the past 3 games.
- 19-of-23 (82.6%) at charity stripe the prior 5 contests.
- 10 steals combined past 3 games equals effort from prior 5.
- 30+ minutes in 13 of past 16 games.
- 30+ minutes 4 times over first 13 tilts.
- 55-19 as a starter, including 20-9 in 2012-13.
- 2012 & 2013 2nd-team All C-USA.
- 2013 C-USA All-Defensive Team.
- C-USA Co-Player of the Week on 12/17/12.
- 2012 Junkanoo Jam MVP (16 ppg, 8.0 rpg).
#10 Syerra Davis (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- Played in 27 of 29 games as reserve, earning 9.6 mpg.
- 1 of 3 Miners with +assist/turnover ratio (1.2).
- Did not play against Southern Miss (2/10) or vs. Tulane (3/8).
- 2-of-3 shooting & 7 rebounds in her past 3 appearances.
- Had not attempted a field goal in 34 minutes the prior 6 games.
- 5 total boards in 89 minutes combined the 12 previous contests.
- Hit only three-point try at Tulsa (1/9).
- 0-of-8 from distance in other games.
- 13 points (6-of-11) vs. LMU (11/10) & vs. TSU (12/1).
- 16 points (6-27) in other 24 games.
- 6 assists combined at Tulsa (1/9) & vs. East Carolina (1/13).
- 13 total helpers in other 25 contests.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll (min. 3.0 cumulative GPA).
#12 Anete Steinberga (6-2, Senior, C)
- Lone healthy senior & has started every game.
- School-record 20 straight double-digit scoring games.
- Previously long stretch in career was 6 in a row (twice).
- Team-high 26 contests with at least 10 points.
- Lisa Watson (1988-89) has the program standard for most double-figure scoring contests in a season at 28.
- Tied for team lead in scoring (15.3) & 3rd in rebounding (7.4)
- Paces team in free-throws made (99) & attempts (134).
- 172 field goals leads team & is 6th on UTEP single-season list.
- Traci Miller (1986-87) holds 5th place with 174.
- 1 of 3 Miners with 80+ offensive boards (81).
- 2 points in opener vs. LMU (11/10).
- 8+ points in each game since, with 26 of at least 10 points.
- Double-double in 8 of the past 14 contests.
- Did not achieve the feat over first 15 tilts.
- 24 assists, including career-high 5 vs. SMU (2/3), past 11 games.
- 21 helpers total the first 18 games of the campaign.
- 19-of-42 & 47 points (career-high 25 at SMU, 3/3) past 2 games.
- 11-of-31 with 30 points total the previous 2 tilts.
- Career-high 17 rebounds & 3 blocked shots vs. Tulane (3/8).
- 41-of-54 (76.1%) on free throws the past 9 games.
- 58-of-80 (72.5%) at charity stripe the 1st 20 games.
- 1 foul against Tulane (3/8).
- 3+ fouls in 14 of past 15 contests & 20 total.
- 30+ minutes in 11 straight & 16 times overall on year.
- 2 such contests in 2011-12.
- 2013 All C-USA First-Team member.
- Twice claimed C-USA Player of the Week this year (1/14 & 3/9).
- 2010 C-USA All-Freshman Team.
- 2010, 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#14 Marissa Rodriguez (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- 22 minutes in 7 games of action.
- Career-high 5 points vs. ENMU (12/8).
- 2 of 3 shots made have been three pointers.
- 4 of 5 shots tried from beyond the arc.
- 3 pointer vs. NM State (12/5) for first career points.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Medal Recipient.
- Recipient of 2012 C-USA Academic Medal.
- Walk-on who grew up in El Paso.
- Attended HS in San Antonio before returning.
#20 Diamond Posey (5-7, Freshman, G)
- 5.9 minutes per game & competed in 12 contests as a reserve.
- 12 points, 3 assists, 25 minutes total in past 2 C-USA contests.
- Career-best 9 points, 3 helpers & 20 minutes at SMU (3/3).
- 1 assist, 9 minutes & 3 points in her first 3 C-USA appearances.
- 5-of-7 on threes, including 3-of-4 at SMU (3/3), past 3 tilts played.
- 2-of-8 from distance in her first 11 contests.
- 8-of-14 shooting overall from the floor in her past 8 appearances.
- Scoreless & 0-of-5 in field goals in her initial 4 contests.
- 15 of 19 field-goal attempts have been treys.
- 37 minutes total in 8 appearances in non-conference play.
- 33 minutes total in 5 C-USA games played.
- Ranked as No. 106 guard in country & assessed a grade of 87 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#32 Chrishauna Parker (5-10, Sophomore, G)
- Started every game & paces team in assists per game (4.2), FG% (50.5), offensive boards (99), rebounding (8.9) & double-digit rebounding games (14).
- No Miner has ever finished with +4.0 apg & 9.0 rpg.
- Amy Pack (9.4, 2000-01) was last Miner with at least 9.0 rpg.
- 2nd in free throws (79) & attempts (127), 3rd in double-doubles (5) & scoring (9.2).
- 258 rebounds to check in 4th on UTEP single-season list.
- Pack (2000-01) holds 3rd place with 262.
- Tonie Greene (1983-84) is 2nd at 264 & Gloria Brown (2011-12) holds the single-season school mark at 292.
- 123 assists ranks 9th on the UTEP single-season records.
- Noni Wharemate (2003-04) owns 8th with 124.
- 1-of-5 (20.0%) shooting against Tulane (3/8).
- 8-of-12 (66.7%) shooting the past 2 games.
- 2-of-4 from three-point range the past 6 contests.
- 4 rebounds past 2 games (2 @SMU, 3/3 & 2 vs. Tulane, 3/8)
- Had been lone Miner with 5+ boards in first 27 contests.
- 10+ boards in 8 of the 10 games before the dropoff.
- 10+ rebounds in 8 of past 11 games & team-high 13 times.
- 1 offensive rebound the past games.
- 3+ offensive boards in 18 of the 20 games before slump.
- 5+ assists in 4 straight games & 15 times total on the year.
- Never had more than 3 assists as a freshman.
- 5+ free throw attempts in 10 games.
- 3 games with 10+ free throw attempts.
- 27-10 as starter, including 20-9 in 2012-13.
#34 Destinee LaFountain (6-1, Junior, F)
- Played in all 29 games as a reserve center, logging 12.2 mpg.
- 18 blocked shots to lead team & 2.5 rpg most of any reserve.
- 2 points (both free throws) & 0-of-6 from floor past 8 games.
- 8 points (4-of-8 shooting) in prior 2 contests.
- 5 rebounds total in past 8 games.
- 3+ boards in 4 straight games before for 1st time of career.
- Hit 5 of her past 8 free throws attempted.
- 5-of-19 at charity stripe before the recent stretch.
- 3-of-6 at the line in the season opener vs. LMU (11/10).
- Joined UTEP from Ventura College.
- Earned Honorable-Mention All-America Honors.
IT’S A MONTH THING
- Winning record in 3 of 5 months under Keitha Adams.
- December (53-25) is the top month, followed by November (38-22) & January (55-38).
- 22-8 combined in January & February of 2012 & 2013.
STAT LOVERS’ LANE
- Difference between winning & losing can be stark. Here’s the breakdown for the Miners in wins & losses.
In 20 Wins (Average Stats)
Team Pts FG% 3fg% FT% RB TO
UTEP 67.8 39.7 29.5 63.8 45.2 15.5
Opp. 53.7 32.2 27.9 70.3 37.8 18.0
In 9 Losses (Average Stats)
Team Pts FG% 3fg% FT% RB TO
UTEP 62.7 35.5 29.7 73.4 43.3 16.2
Opp. 68.3 37.9 39.4 67.9 39.9 13.0
- Hit at least 1 three pointer in program-best 228 straight games.
- Last game without a trey was Dec. 30, 2005.
- Hit 1 in all but 4 games under Keitha Adams.
- 9-3 on year & 120-16 with 70+ pts under Adams.
- 10-2 on year & 108-18 past 126 games when making 40.5 percent or better from floor.
- 5-2 on year & 76-19 under Adams +40.0% on 3s.
- 16-6 on year & 131-49 under Adams winning boards.
- 64-18 in past 82 games when doing so.
- 3-0 on year & 59-2 under Adams with 20+ assists.
- 6-0 this year & 71-12 under Adams when more turnovers forced than field-goals made by the opposition.
- 52-3 in that area since the start of the 2006-07 campaign.
- 58-16 past 75 games making 70% on free throws (min. 10 free throws made), but just 5-5 in area this year.
- 7-1 on year & 32-13 since 2006-07 when falling shy of 61 percent at the line (min. 10 free-throw attempts).
Anete Steinberga (Senior)
- 9th on UTEP scoring list (969).
- Teammate Kayla Thornton is 8th (970).
- Holly Russ (1990-92) is 7th with 1,068.
- Kristi Lattin (1995-99) & Lisa Watson (1987-89) t9th at 966.
- 9th in UTEP rebounding charts (560).
- Tonietta Green (1981-84) is 8th (561).
- 55, 10+ point games most of any active Miners.
- 8th at UTEP for career field-goal% (45.0).
- 7th in field goals (385). Kasia Krezel (2004-08) is 6th (413).
- 10th in free throws attempted (317).
- Chris Hall (1985-89) is 9th (343).
- UTEP has won 81 games during Steinberga’s career, which is 3rd.
- Started 84 games to place 5th at UTEP.
- Teammate Kelli Willingham is 4th (87).
- 103 games played, which is 1 shy of tying for 10th.
- 14 double-doubles rates 6th.
- Dragana Zoric (2001-03) is 5th (18).
- One of 19 Miners with 2000+ minutes (2,150)
Kayla Thornton (Junior)
- 1 of 3 Miners in school history with at least 800 points (970), 100 steals (123) & 600 rebounds (662).
- Timika Williams (2006-10, 1,087 pts./129 stl. /794 rbs.) & Kiana Taylor (1993-96, 97-98, 1134 pt./120 stl./676 rb) are the others.
- 4th for rebounds (662) & ninth for average (7.3)
- Taylor is 3rd (676) while Williams is 2nd (794).
- Kim Watts (1978-82) holds the school standard (810).
- 8th for total points (970). Holly Russ (1990-92) is 7th (1,068).
- 11th at school for steals (119). Williams is 10th (129).
- UTEP has won 65 games since she & classmate Kelli Willingham arrived on campus in 2010. That ties for 8th by a UTEP class.
- 6th place held by Piekarska & Kasia Krezel with 76 (2004-08).
- 19 double doubles rates 4th.
- Taylor & Gloria Brown (2010-12) share 2nd at 20.
- Amy Pack (1999-01) holds the record with 22.
- 10th in field-goals made (358). Lisa Watson (379) is 9th.
- 10th for career field-goal% (43.7).
- One of 19 Miners with 2000+ minutes (2,284)
Kelli Willingham (Junior)
- 3rd Miner with 700+ points (789) & 300+ assists (300).
- Jareica Hughes (2006-09) & Ana Valtierra (2002-07) also achieved the rare feat.
- UTEP has won 64 games since she & classmate Kayla Thornton arrived on campus in 2010. That ties for 9th by a UTEP class.
- 6th place shared by Piekarska & Kasia Krezel with 76 (2004-08).
- 3rd for 3 pointers (151). Dietra Caldwell (2008-11) is 2nd (182).
- 5th for triples attempted (420). 4th place held by Hughes (430).
- 86 career starts is 4th. Ana Valtierra (2002-07) is 3rd (103).
- 8th for minutes played (2,800). Caldwell is 7th (2,806).
- 79.8 free-throw % (min. 100 made) is 2nd.
TAKING OUT POWER SCHOOLS
- 3 wins against members of power conferences.
- UTEP downed Pacific 12 members Arizona State (60-54, 11/18/12) & Arizona (64-53, 11/23/12) while also toppling Kansas State on the road (52-50, 12/16/12).
- 6-35 all time in such games, including 3-0 this year.
- 4 of the wins during the Keitha Adams era.
- UTEP beat Nebraska (Big 12, 63-53, 12/20/08).
- Before Adams, UTEP beat Kansas State (Big 8, 67-61, 12/6/96) & Arizona (66-46, Pac 10, 11/20/80).
THIS & THAT
- Winning mark at 10 (9-1), 15 (14-1) & 20 (17-3) games.
- School-record 9th straight season of winning mark at 15 tilts.
- Prior school standards was four.
- Program-record 8th straight winning mark at 20 games.
- Previous record was six consecutive campaigns.
- 4 in row & 6 total under Keitha Adams of +.500 at 10 games.
- 2nd straight & 3rd overall start of at least 5-0 on the year.
- Longest win streak to start year is 10 (2011-12).
- Previously never had back-to-back 3-0 starts.
SUCCESS GALORE IN NON CONFERENCE
- Most wins (12) before league play by UTEP team.
- Prior school standard was 11.
- 11-2 entering C-USA play last year & 11-1 at juncture in 2006-07.
- 99-57 in non-league play under Keitha Adams.
- School-record 8 straight seasons of .500 or better out of league.
- 75-33 in timeframe, including 23-4 past 2 years.
- The prior record was four (1994-95 to 1997-98).
- 29-4 to set both the school (men’s) & Conference USA single-season record for wins. 4 losses were by a combined 15 points.
- Won both the 2012 Conference USA regular-season & tournament title championship.
- 1st tourney title at school & 2nd regular-season crown.
- Fell to #11/12 Penn State (85-77) in first round of NCAA Tourney.
- Finished 15-1 in C-USA play, with .938 winning percentage rating third all time in the league.
- Program-best 10-0 start to the year. Also had 15-game win streak.
- Other single-season records set include blocked shots (197), games played (33), rebounding margin (+9.5), scoring defense (54.2), scoring margin (13.4), double-digit wins (21), road wins (11), wins by at 20+ points & overall wins (29).
- Led C-USA in attendance average (2,639), blocked shots (6.0), field-goal percentage (40.8), field-goal percentage defense (33.6), free-throw percentage (69.7), RPI (49), rebounding margin (6.0), scoring margin (+13.4), three-point percentage defense (24.5)
- Received votes for the top-25 the final nine weeks of the season.
- Gloria Brown was voted first-team All C-USA, a member of the all-defensive team, named the Sixth Player of the Year and voted as the 2012 C-USA Tournament Champion MVP.
- Kayla Thornton was a 2nd-team All C-USA member & voted to all-tournament team.
- Keitha Adams was tabbed C-USA Coach of the Year.
- Kelli Willingham was voted to the C-USA Academic All Conference Team.
- More than 2,000 fans in 9 of the final 10 games and a single-season best 11 times overall.
- Final 5 games all had + 4,000 fans, also a program best.
- Averaged 4,243 fans during the eight C-USA home games.
ALL ABOUT THE FANS
- Led C-USA with 2,708 fans on average.
- East Carolina is 2nd (1,502), was more than 1,100 behind
- All four non-conference home games of 3,000+ fans at school have been under Keitha Adams.
- Topped 3,000 in back-to-back non conference contests (UNM, SHSU) for first time at school.
- 25 of the 31 home games in school history with 3,000+ fans occurred during Adams’ tenure.
- 23-8 all time in such contests, including 20-5 under Adams.
UTEP Home Games With 3,000+ Fans
No. Crowd Foe Score Date
1. 7,255 SMU* W, 76-63 2/28/08
2. 7,212 Memphis* W, 80-58 2/10/07
3. 7,103 BYU* L, 57-61 2/22/93
4. 7,003 ECU* W, 81-53 2/10/08
5. 6,532 SMU* W, 68-50 2/23/12
6. 6,421 Rice* L, 48-52 2/26/12
7. 5,513 Houston* W, 80-55 2/14/08
8. 5,093 Tulsa* W, 65-50 3/1/08
9. 4,682 UNLV* W, 73-58 2/10/98
10. 4,536 Tulane* W, 80-65 2/12/12
11. 4,501 Southern Miss* W, 60-55 2/10/13
12. 4,167 Marshall* W, 64-58 2/9/12
13. 4,069 TCU* W, 79-76 2/22/01
14. 4,029 UCF* W, 67-38 1/29/12
15. 4,007 Tulsa* W, 50-35 1/31/13
16. 3,962 Rice* L, 59-62 2/28/13
17. 3,781 UAB* L, 57-61 1/20/13
18. 3,612 Tulane* W, 71-52 3/8/13
19. 3,497 Houston* W, 73-55 2/21/13
20. 3,726 Hawaii* L, 36-65 2/3/00
21. 3,646 Houston* W, 74-67 1/11/09
22. 3,497 Rice* W, 65-52 1/5/07
23. 3,450 UNM W, 64-62 12/20/10
24. 3,273 NM State L, 60-61 12/7/02
25. 3,215 Fresno St.* L, 62-78 2/14/02
26. 3,173 San Diego St.* W, 70-59 1/22/93
27. 3,107 Fresno State* W, 45-38 2/12/04
28. 3,104 Wyoming* L, 64-66 3/6/93
29. 3,102 SHSU W, 85-66 12/28/12
30. 3,091 New Mexico W, 60-45 12/20/12
31. 3,052 Memphis* W, 66-60 1/8/12
denotes Adams era
* denotes league contest
CLIFFSNOTES ON 2012-13 CAMPAIGN
GOING BACK IN TIME
at SMU 73, UTEP 71 (3/3/13)
- Anete Steinberga tallied a career-high 25 points to lead a quartet of players in double figures but UTEP was edged by SMU, 73-71, on the road March 3.
- Steinberga scored in the post to tie the tilt with 10 seconds left.
- She then fouled SMU’s Gabrielle Wilkins with 5.9 seconds to play.
- Wilkins hit both free throws & UTEP inbounded the ball.
- Kayla Thornton received the pass on the run and was fouled at halfcourt. It was only the sixth infraction of the period on SMU, and UTEP had to put it in play again with 4.6 seconds left.
- Once again it went to Thornton, whose running three-point try refused to go down as time expired.
- UTEP shot 44.4% (28-of-63) & held SMU to 36.5% (23-of-63).
- SMU finished 23-of-31 at the charity stripe. UTEP was 6-of-8.
- Mustangs outrebounded UTEP, 43-38.
- Cameasha Turner responded to getting her third start of the season with a career day (10 points/12 boards), easily eclipsing her prior career highs (7 points/4 boards).
- Diamond Posey nailed 3 triples for a career-best 9 points.
Rice 62, at UTEP 59 (2/28/13)
- Kayla Thornton’s potential game-tying three-pointer from the right wing was off the mark as time expired, and Rice escaped with a 62-59 victory against UTEP on Feb. 28.
- Battled back from 11 down (46-35, 10:34 to play) only to Rice do enough to hold on.
- Held Rice to 37.7 percent shooting & Owls were 10-of-17 on free throws.
- Outscored in 2nd-chance points, 17-8.
- Committed 20 turnovers, which led to 18 points for the Owls.
at Memphis 77, UTEP 71 (2/24/13)
- Kayla Thornton poured in a career-high 32 points, including 22 in the second half, but UTEP’s comeback bid fell short in a 77-71 setback against Memphis in the FedEx Forum Feb. 24.
- Memphis used barrage of triples to build 25-point lead (55-30) with 13:17 to play in the contest.
- UTEP didn’t quit, using 16-2 run to give legs to rally efforts.
- Miners got it down to 9 (69-60, 2:50) before 7-0 Memphis run.
- UTEP scored 11 of game’s final 12 points but time ran out.
- The seven points establish a career high for Turner, who made her second straight start.
- Game wrapped up stretch of playing 3 of 4 & 4 of 6 on the road.
at UTEP 73, Houston 55 (2/21/13)
- UTEP jumped out to a 33-19 lead at the break and never looked back en route to toppling Houston, 73-55, at home Feb. 21.
- Connected on season-high 47.1% (vs. D1 foes) from the floor.
- Held UH to 29.1 percent & led by 10+ points for final 8:50.
- Teams were whistled for a combined 42 fouls. The Miners drilled 19-of-25 (76.0) percent at the line, including 15-of-20 in the second half. Houston finished at 17-of-21 from the charity stripe, with all of those occurring in the second stanza.
at UCF 76, UTEP 69, OT (2/17/13)
- Kayla Thornton (26 points, 11 rebounds), Anete Steinberga (18 points, 11 rebounds) & Chrishauna Parker (11 points, 11 rebounds) all registered double-doubles but UTEP was derailed in overtime at UCF, 76-69, on Feb. 17.
- Led for most of regulation only to have UCF force OT after 58% free-throw shooter Erika Jones sank
a pair of tosses at the charity stripe to tie the tilt at 66 with 0.8 seconds left.
- Knights scored the first 10 points of OT before Cameasha Turner hit a 3 with 4 seconds left to account for the game’s final points.
- UCF shot 32.2 percent & was out-rebounded, 52-44.
- Overcame that by going 31-of-45 at charity stripe, including a combined 17-of-27 in the second half and overtime.
- UTEP was 17-of-22 at the line, but missed 3 in final 26 seconds.
at Marshall 59, UTEP 47 (2/14/13)
- Steinberga was 8-of-16 from floor; Rest of team went 9-of-43.
- UTEP wrapped 12-0 run around halftime to trim 14-point deficit down to two (27-25, 19:35 2H).
- MU answered with 13-2 run & UTEP didn’t get closer than 9.
- 1st double-digit loss for UTEP in almost two years.
at UTEP 60, Southern Miss 55 (2/10/13)
- Anete Steinberga posted a monstrous double-double (17 points, 16 rebounds), and UTEP used a 12-0 run over the final 1:47 to rally past Southern Miss, 60-55, Feb. 10.
- The 11th-largest crowd (4,501) & season high cheered on UTEP.
- Broke 2-game skid in C-USA play as result, its first since 2010-11.
- Trailed 55-48 with less than 2 minutes to play.
- Kayla Thornton also had a double-double (14 points, 11 boards).
- Thornton got comeback started with layup with 1:47 to play.
- UTEP called timeout to set up a press & madness ensued.
- Miners forced three turnovers in 25 seconds, scoring after each.
- Result was 8-0 run in 50 seconds to take lead for good.
- Steinberga capped sequence with old-fashioned three-point play.
- Defense delivered four more stops & UTEP hit 3 free throws to ice it.
at Tulane 56, UTEP 49 (2/7/13)
- Tulane shot 28.1% (18-of-64), including 26.3% (5-of-19) on 3s.
- UTEP trailed by 10 (15-5) four minutes into the game.
- It worked deficit down to 25-21 with 3:42 left in half but Tulane finished on 7-0 run, including half-court shot as time expired.
- Fought back from down 13 to get within 3, but Tulane held on.
- Shot 30.8% (16-of-52) from the floor.
- Nailed 15-of-21 (71.4%) free throws & had 15 turnovers.
SMU 83, at UTEP 72 (2/3/13)
- Connected on 42.4% (28-of-66) from floor, including 8-20 on 3s.
- Won boards (41-38) but SMU had too much firepower.
- 3 SMU players combined for 63 points.
- SMU led 38-34 at half & eventually at 68-50 with 8:26 to play.
- UTEP used 13-2 run to trim deficit to 7 but couldn’t finish rally.
- Chrishauna Parker had game-high 11 boards & five assists.
at UTEP 50, Tulsa 35 (1/31/13)
- UTEP used swarming defense and an offensive outburst in the second half to storm past Tulsa, 50-35, on Jan. 31.
- Tulsa was held to the lowest field-goal percentage (20.6) and fewest points (35) by a conference opponent in UTEP history.
- First double-digit win for UTEP when scoring 50 or fewer points.
- TU led 22-17 with 17:31 to play before 18-2 UTEP run.
- Kayla Thornton scored 16 points & had eight rebounds.
- Anete Steinberga (13 points & 10 rebounds) had a double-double
- Chrishauna Parker scored seven points, grabbed a career-best 15 rebounds while posting four assist & three steals.
UTEP 65, at Houston 54 (1/24/13)
- Buoyed by Anete Steinberga’s double-double (20 points, 12 rebounds) and a sizzling second half of shooting, UTEP soared to a 65-54 road conquest of Houston on Jan. 27.
- There were four ties & 11 lead changes, with UTEP using 11-2 run to grab 50-43 edge & it never relinquished it.
- Shot 58.7 (17-of-29) after the break.
- Owned the boards, with a +19 margin (50-31).
- UH shot 28.1 % (16-of-57), including 24.0% on threes (6-of-24).
- Kayla Thornton overcame foul issues in the first half to finish with 10 points in five rebounds.
- Chrishauna Parker flirted with a triple double (8 points, 10 rebounds & 7 assists).
UTEP 49, at Rice (1/24/13)
- Anete Steinberga banked home a lay-up with 10 seconds to play to propel UTEP to a 49-48 win at Rice Jan. 24.
- A quality Miners’ double team forced Jessica Kuster, who finished with a game-high 21 points, to give it up and the shot by Christal Porter rimmed out as time expired.
- Parker had a huge impact on the eventual game-winning bucket, coming up with a loose ball to save the possession before Irene Gari used a beautiful lob pass to find Steinberga.
- Used 18-0 run to build a 14-point lead in the first half. Made 75% (9-of-12) on free throws & had 12 turnovers.
- Rice was held to 36.4 percent (20-of-55) from the floor.
UAB 61, at UTEP 57 (1/20/13)
- Blazers closed game on 13-4 run.
- Chrishauna Parker had 9 points & 12 boards..
- Miners were searching for 1st 15-1 start to year.
- UTEP outrebounded UAB, 57-33, largest margin ever in a loss.
at UTEP 81, East Carolina 66 (1/13/13)
- Five different Miners reached double figures in scoring, & UTEP used a huge second half to beat East Carolina, 81-66, on Jan. 13.
- Outscored ECU, 54-31, in the second half.
- 54 points are 7th in the 2nd half of a game in program annals.
- ECU was up by 7 (48-43) but UTEP took control with 10-0 run.
- Kelli Willingham scored 8 points in run & finished with 15.
- Gari and Parker flirted with a double-double with 9 boards each.
- Fourth straight win in league home opener.
- Won six of the past seven contests in situation.
- Moved to 9-3 in them under Keitha Adams & 16-16 overall in program history.
UTEP 71, at Tulsa 64 (1/9/13)
- Kayla Thornton posted her fifth double-double of the season (23 points & 12 boards) and Anete Steinberga navigated through foul trouble to add 18 as UTEP toppled Tulsa, 71-64, on the road in the Conference USA opener for both squads on Jan. 9.
- Thornton scored 16 points in 1st first half, including 1 of 5 triples at the buzzer, to give UTEP a 5-point lead (32-27) at the break.
- Advantage swelled to 12 & UTEP withstood several charges.
- Kelli Willingham had a career-high nine boards.
- UTEP won its fourth straight league opener.
- It improved to 6-2 in them since joining C-USA.
at UTEP 83, UTPA 56 (12/30/12)
- Kayla Thornton (15 points & 14 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (17 points & 12 rebounds) both registered double-doubles, and UTEP ran its unbeaten streak to seven with an 83-56 victory against UTPA on Dec. 30.
- Never trailed & used 18-4 run early in 2nd half to blow it open.
- Hit on 40.3 percent from floor & finished with 18 assists.
- Parker set the scoring tone with a game-high and career-best 17 points while also adding four helpers. She was 9-of-10 at line.
- Saidah Zuberi Allen came off the bench to tally a career-best 12 points while also grabbing eight rebounds.
- Anete Steinberga finished with the identical stat line.
at UTEP 85, Sam Houston 66 (12/28/12)
- Anete Steinberga scored a then season-high 23 points, Kayla Thornton added 17 and Chrishauna Parker posted her third career double-double to help UTEP soar past Sam Houston State, 85-66, in front of a then season-best 3,102 fans Dec. 28.
- Used 23-8 run to take control of game after falling behind 5-0.
- Led 44-25 at the half & never was threatened down the stretch.
- Parker had 15 points, then career-best 14 boards & 7 assists.
- UTEP had 6 turnovers to tie as 4th fewest in single game.
- Bearkats held to 33.3 percent from floor.
- The school-record-tying four-game streak of foes being held to 50 points or less was halted.
at UTEP 60, New Mexico 45 (12/20/12)
- The Miners led wire-to-wire.
- Forced 20 turnovers-which led to 22 points, & UNM shot 35.7%.
- UTEP made 20-of-29 free throws.
- UNM was 1-of-3 at the line, which ties as the fewest makes & attempts by foe in school history.
UTEP 52, at Kansas State 50 (12/16/12)
- Trailing by 10 (48-38) with 5:27 to play, UTEP dug deep and finished the game on a 14-2 run to topple previously unbeaten Kansas State, 52-50, at Bramlage Coliseum on Dec. 16.
- Improved to 3-0 this year against power conference schools.
- KSU fell to 100-10 in non-league home games the past 17 years.
- Held KSU to 29.2 percent (19-of-65) from the floor.
at UTEP 71, Eastern New Mexico 34 (12/8/12)
- UTEP dismantling Eastern New Mexico, 71-34, to push its winning streak to three on Dec. 8.
- The Miners, who never trailed in the contest, led the Division II Zias by 25 at the break (43-18) and were up by at least 30 for the final six minutes of action.
- All 10 players who saw action scored, with freshman Irene Gari keying the charge by reaching double figures (14 points) for the second straight game.
at UTEP 66, NM State 44 (12/5/12)
- Buoyed by freshman Irene Gari’s career-high 19 points and stifling defense, UTEP pounded I-10 rival NM State, 66-44, at home Dec. 5.
- The game was tied 4-4 before UTEP closed the half on a 31-6 surge, which was started by a 13-0 run.
- NM State finished with the third-lowest field-goal percentage by an opponent (20.9) in program history.
- It connected on just 2-of-17 in the first half (11.8 percent).
- Aggies scored 24 of 44 points in game on free throws.
- UTEP nailed eight three pointers to nearly match its sum (nine) from the prior three contests.
at UTEP 88, Texas State 81 (12/1/12)
- Thornton also grabbed 11 boards to secure her second double-double this year & 10th of her career.
- Trailed,46-41, at the half before a big second half.
- The game featured seven lead changes and 10 ties before a 7-0 run by UTEP in the final minute.
- Chrishauna Parker started it with a lay-up off an offensive rebound before Kelli Willingham drilled the Miners’ lone three pointer of the night with 28 seconds left. Thornton capped the surge, while also essentially icing the game, by sinking two free throws with 11 seconds to play.
at NM State 69, UTEP 68 (11/28/12)
- UTEP sustained its first loss of the season after being edged at NM State, 69-68, Nov. 28. The Aggies never led by more than one point in the game.
- There were five lead changes in the final 1:21, with the last one being after two made free throws by NM State’s Daneshia Williamson with 12 seconds left. UTEP pushed the ball up the court but couldn’t get a shot off in time.
- After connecting on a combined 55.2 percent (69-125) from the free-throw line the first five games, UTEP nailed 17-of-19 (89.5).
- Thornton set a career high for rebounds (15) while Gari established one for points (seven).
UTEP 64, vs. Arizona 53 (11/23/12)
- UTEP wrapped a 17-point run around the intermission and pulled away to a 64-53 victory against Arizona to win the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 23.
- Anete Steinberga led four players in double figures with 18 points. Kayla Thornton (10 points, 10 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (10 points, 11 rebounds) each had double-doubles and Kelli Willingham added 11 points to help the Miners to their 2nd victory against a Pacific-12 team in a week.
- It marked the first career double-double for Parker.
UTEP 61, vs. Texas Southern 52 (11/22/12)
- UTEP rode a big second half to post a 61-52 win vs. Texas Southern at its first game of the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 22.
- Outscored the Tigers 38-22 in the second half to make a 30-23 halftime deficit a distant memory.
at UTEP 60, Arizona State 54 (11/18/12)
- Sophomore Chrishauna Parker scored 15 points, senior Anete Steinberga added 14, and UTEP defended with tenacity in an emotional 60-54 victory against traditional Pacific-12 power Arizona State at the Don Haskins Center Nov. 18.
- 10 ties and 15 lead changes.
- Outscored ASU, 33-26, in the second half, including a key 5-0 run to break a 45-45 deadlock with 4:35 left.
- Connected on 25-of-39 at the free-throw line, including going 10-of-12 in the final four minutes of the tilt.
- Parker led the charge in that department by making 9-of-12, both career highs. Kelli Willingham was perfect (4-4) at the line while Steinberga drilled four as well.
- Willingham dished out four assists, but more importantly had just one turnover despite facing a full-court press from ASU for the majority of the contest.
- UTEP held ASU to 33.9 percent (19-of-56).
- Marring the win was Kristine Vitola sustaining torn ACL.
at UTEP 67, HBU 58 (11/16/12)
- The Huskies hung around for a bit before the Miners blew the visitors out of the water with a game-changing 19-6 run spanning about seven minutes in the second half.
- The surge afforded UTEP a 56-41 lead with 8:10 to play, and HBU never got closer than seven down the stretch.
at UTEP 79, LMU 51 (11/10/12)
- Kristine Vitola notched her first career-double double (21 points, 12 rebounds) to help UTEP pound Loyola Marymount.
- In addition to it being the initial double-double since joining the Orange and Blue, Vitola also set career standards for points (21) and boards (12). She hit on 10-of-11 free throws, also personal bests. She made 5-of-7 shots from the floor, including 1-of-2 from beyond-the-arc.
- UTEP opened up on a 15-0 run, with 10 points by Thornton.
- 7-0 Prior best run in opener under Keitha Adams. (2006-07).
- The 28-point margin of victory was the largest in a season opener vs. D1 foe in program history. The prior standard was 19 (68-49 vs. Northern Arizona, 11/20/05).
- The Miners improved to 7-5 in campaign lidlifters under head coach Keitha Adams, with 6-2 in home contests.
- 26-13 in home openers & 9-3 under Adams.
- 20-19 all time in season openers, 17-6 in El Paso.
at UTEP 69, St. Mary’s 60 (11/3/12)
- Led by 17 with five minutes to play.
- Marring the victory was sophomore Jenzel Nash suffering a season-ending torn ACL.
The Last Meeting
February 14, 2013
Huntington, W. Va.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store