Free Admission As UTEP Challenges Rice In Nationally-Televised Contest
Feb. 27, 2013
THE OPENING ACT
- UTEP will have a chance to shine on national TV (CBS Sports Network) when it plays host to Rice at 7 p.m. MST Thursday.
- Free admission as part of National Girls & Women In Sports Day.
- Brent Stover (PXP) & Amy Lawrence (Color) will have the call.
- The Owls (12-14, 4-9 C-USA) went 2-0 (both home) last week.
- The Miners (19-7, 7-6 C-USA) were 1-1 last week.
- Downed Houston, 73-55, at home & fell at Memphis, 77-71.
- On cusp of 2nd straight & 4th overall 20-win season.
- 2006-07 (22-8), 2007-08 (28-4) & 2011-12 (29-4) all did so.
- In 3-way tie for 4th in C-USA. Top-4 teams get bye at tourney.
- 18+ wins for the 5th time in the past 7 seasons.
- Happened once (18-12, 1992-93) in 1st 32 years of program.
- Posted a winning percentage of .500 or better at the halfway point in league play (5-3, now 7-5) for the 7th straight year.
- Achieved 3 times in 15 campaigns before streak started.
- 10th straight season with least six league victories.
- 4 such years out of 20 before Adams (no league for 7 years).
DEALING WITH ADVERSITY
- Projected starter Jenzel Nash tore her ACL in exh. game (11/3).
- Starting C Kristine Vitola tore her ACL 3rd game of year (11/18).
- Miners adjusted & rolled to 17-3 record, including 5-2 in C-USA.
- 6th player Saidah Zuberi Allen tore her ACL at Tulane (2/7).
- She led reserves in minutes (14.1), points (3.6) & boards (5.0).
- Zuberi Allen injury left 11 healthy players (10 scholarship).
- 2-4 since that point, with fatigue for several players a factor.
Player MPG Before MPG After Diff
Cameasha Turner* 10.9 19.2 +8.3
Anete Steinberga* 27.1 34.5 +7.4
Kayla Thornton* 28.7 34.8 +6.1
Kelli Willingham* 31.4 37.2 +5.8
Chrishauna Parker* 27.8 32.8 +5.0
Irene Gari 25.1 23.3 -1.7
(Turner started past 2 games for Gari, who is battling ankle injury).
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Best overall win% (66.9) of C-USA teams since joining in 2005-06.
- 162-80 overall record, including 19-7 this year, in timeframe.
- 3-0 on year vs. teams from power-league conferences.
- Most league wins & best win% of each team since 2005-06.
- 78-47 (62.9), including 7-6 on year, in C-USA only action.
- Tied for most years (4) with 10+ C-USA wins since 2005-06.
- Votes in both top-25 polls for 8 straight weeks before falling out.
- Four C-USA weekly award recipients.
QUITE A RUN
- 48-11 since start of the 2011-12 season, including 19-8 on year.
- 31 wins, including 8 this year, by 10+ points.
- 22-7 in C-USA games since 2011-12, including 7-6 this season.
- 64-25 overall since the start of 2010-11 campaign.
- 22 of 25 losses in that timeframe by single digits.
- One this year (at Marshall, 47-59, 2/14)
- Others were: (@UCSB,50-68, 12/11/10 & @ Houston, 61-77, 2/20/11).
UTEP & THE STAT RANKINGS
- Top-4 ranking in 8 of 14 major stat categories (chart, pg. 1).
- Pace C-USA in 2 categories (FG% def & RB margin
- 10th in NCAA in FG% def., 26th in RB margin & 46 W/L%.
- Best overall (2,479) & league-only attendance (3,381).
- Kayla Thornton is 1 of 2 players in C-USA with top-10 ranking for both scoring (15.7-6th) & rebounding (8.5.-6th).
- Anete Steinberga is 8th in scoring (14.7), 8th FT% (73.7), 9th in field-goal percentage (43.5), & 13th in rebounding (7.0).
- Chrishauna Parker is 2nd in rebounding (9.2), 3rd in field-goal percentage (50.3), 4th in assists (4.1), 9th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.2) & 26th in scoring (9.2 ppg).
- Kelli Willingham is 9th in three-point % (32.9), 13th in assists (3.0) & 28th in scoring (9.0).
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Rice leads the overall series, 24-13.
- Miners won at Rice, 49-48, in first meeting of year (1/24/13).
- Last 3 games in series decided by a combined 9 points.
- UTEP is 11-5 vs. Owls since start of 2006-07 season.
- 1st match-up in series occurred in 1988-89 campaign.
GOING BACK IN TIME
at Memphis 77, UTEP 71 (2/24/13)
- Kayla Thornton poured in a career-high 32 points, including 22 in the second half, but UTEP’s comeback bid fell short in a 77-71 setback against Memphis in the FedEx Forum Feb. 24.
- Memphis used barrage of triples to build 25-point lead (55-30) with 13:17 to play in the contest.
- UTEP didn’t quit, using 16-2 run to give legs to rally efforts.
- Miners got it down to 9 (69-60, 2:50) before 7-0 Memphis run.
- UTEP scored 11 of game’s final 12 points but time ran out.
- The seven points establish a career high for Turner, who made her second straight start.
- Chrishauna Parker was held to four points but she did pace team in rebounds (10) & assists (6).
- Game wrapped up stretch of playing 3 of 4 & 4 of 6 on the road.
GETTING TO KNOW RICE
- Rice is 12-14 overall, 4-9 C-USA (11-4 home & 1-10 on the road).
- 2-4 start before winning six straight games to move to 8-4
- 4-10 since that point but is coming off consecutive home wins.
- Two players in double figures for scoring.
- Jessica Kuster (16.3/10.1) leads team in scoring/boards.
- 3 Owls with +6.0 rebounds per game.
- 10-3 when keeping opponents to less than 60 points.
- Nine postseason bids in program history.
- Went 0-1 in the WBI last year.
- Played in WNIT in 2011.
- School opened in 1912
- Notable alumni include Lance Berkman (former MLB All Star), Thomas Cruikshank (former chairman & CEO at Haliburton), Howard Hughes (once richest man in world) John Kline (US Congressman) and Peggy Whitson (U.S. Astronaut.)
RUNDOWN ON THE 2012-13 MINERS
- Have lost 3 scholarship players due to injury.
- 6th player Saidah Zuberi Allen (at Tulane, 2/7) was lost with knee injury after earning bench-best 13.5 mpg through 21 games.
- Vitola was off to a tremendous start, leading the Miners in field-goal percentage (.600), rebounding (8.3) and scoring (16.0).
- Nash had 5.1 ppg in 11.9 mpg in promising freshman year.
- 1 healthy senior after Vitola’s injury.
- Miners had largest senior class (7) a year ago.
- Freshman F Tommitrise Collins will redshirt.
- Picked 2nd in the 2012-13 Conference USA Preseason Poll.
-Tulane was tabbed as the favorite to win the league.
TOUGH TO REPLACE
- Graduated biggest class (7) in program history.
- Headlined by 2012 C-USA Tournament MVP & second-team all C-USA honoree Gloria Brown, who paced the Miners in blocked shots (97), FT made (102), attempted (125), percentage (.816), FG% (.527), points per game (12.1) and rebounds per contest (8.8). She repeated as the C-USA 6th Player of the Year.
- Kim Smith (2.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.8 apg) & Erika Warren (5.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg) started while Baiba Eglite (1.6 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.4 apg), Briana Green (2.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg & 1.1 apg), Whitney Houston (1.4 ppg, 0.1 rpg, 0.5 apg) & Melisa Mendes (4.1 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.7 apg) came off bench.
THE BASIC FACTS ON UTEP
- 466-593 since program started (1974-75) including 19-7 this year.
- Won 3 league titles, including claiming both the 2012 C-USA regular season & tournament championship (29-4 final mark).
- First league crown was in 2007-08.
- Became first C-USA women’s team to go 16-0 in league play.
- Finished 28-4 overall 2007-08, helped by school & C-USA setting 23-game winning streak.
- Appeared in two NCAA Tournaments, forging a mark of 1-2.
- Advanced to second round in 2008.
- Secured Conference USA’s automatic bid last year but derailed by national power (11/12) Penn State, 85-77, in the first round.
- Will celebrate its 100th year as a school in 2014.
- Notable alumni include former ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Sam Donaldson, well-respected NFL referee Ed Hochuli, former NASA astronaut Danny Olivas engineer & Dennis Poon, who designed Taipei 101 & some of the tallest buildings in the world.
THE ADAMS FILE
- Keitha Adams is 203-154 in 12th year at UTEP.
- Is program’s all-time win leader.
- 330-191 overall mark in 17 years as collegiate head coach.
- Joined Miners after 127-47 run in 5 years with Independence C.C.
- 1 of 5 active C-USA women’s basketball coaches with 300+ wins.
- All 3 20+ win seasons & 5 of 6 with 18+ wins at UTEP under Adams.
- Produced 7 straight & 8 total seasons with 16+ wins.
- Feat achieved three times in 27 years prior.
- All 3 league championships at school during her tenure.
- Same goes for both NCAA Tournament bids.
- 190-110 record past 10 years, including 19-7 in 2012-13.
- 115-155 was best record for 10-year stretch before her arrival.
- Led UTEP to 11-7 mark on national TV games.
- Earned votes in top-25 poll in 5 years, including 2012-13.
- Never achieved feat before Adams’ era.
- Nationally ranked for final six weeks of 07-08.
- 12 of 18 individual career record holders at UTEP played for Adams.
- Coached 15 players who have gone on to play professionally.
- Impacted the international game at the highest level, with Noni Wharemate representing New Zealand at ‘08 Olympic Games.
- Every player who has exhausted her eligibility at UTEP during her tenure has graduated.
HOME SWEET HOME
- Home record of 130-53 in Keitha Adams era.
- 95-21 since 2006-07, including 13-2 this year.
- 57-27 was the best 7-year record before Adams.
- 28-4 over past 32 home games.
- 7th straight year with 12+ home victories.
- 13 home wins ranks tied for fourth most in single season at school.
- Record is 16 (2006-07), followed by 15 (2011-12), 14 (2007-08) & 13 (2010-11).
- Four 10+ win seasons in 27 years before Adams.
- Only one of those teams (12-1, 1988-89) reached 12.
- 129-41 since starting streak in 2002-03.
- Have not lost back-to-back games in El Paso since falling by combined 4 points in final 2 home games of 2009-10.
- Have not dropped 2 league home tilts in span of 7 days since 2005-06, its first year as C-USA member.
- Overall road mark of 53-89 under Keitha Adams.
- 39-37 since 2006-07, including 4-5 this year.
- 25-57 was the best seven-year record before Adams.
- 15 road wins since 2011-12 to equal most in 2-year span.
- 4 road wins ties as 7th most in single-season history at UTEP.
- 11-1 on road in 2011-12 to set school standard.
- 16-6 over past 22 road contests.
- Dropped 4 straight road tilts.
- Had won school-record 12 consecutive C-USA road tilts.
- Previous mark was 9 (2006-07 through 2007-08)
Two winning road seasons under Adams.
- Never happened in first 27 years of program.
- Twice finished at .500 during Adams’ tenure.
- Only occurred a pair of times before her.
- Starters: 1460 points, 804 rebounds, 297 assists & 139 steals.
- Reserves: 259 points, 340 rebounds, 66 assists & 53 steals.
- 4 players + 9.0 ppg (15.7, 14.8, 9.2 & 9.2) & a 5th at 5.6
- Everyone else with less than 2.5 ppg (2.2, 2.2, 1.8, 1.4, 1.1 & 1.1).
- 71/73/69 points in past 3 games.
- 60 points or less in 6 of prior 8.
- 3 such contests in first 15 tilts.
- 30.5 points on avg, 36.7 FG%, 30.7 3pt% in 1st half of games.
- 35.5 points on avg. 39.8 FG%, 26.1 3pt% in 2nd half of games.
- 43.7% (104-of-238) shooting in 4 C-USA games at +40.0%.
- 33.3% (190-of-570) from floor in 9 C-USA games below 40%.
- 65.5 ppg, 38.1 FG%; 56.2 ppga, 33.8 FG% def. in non-conference.
- 62.7 ppg, 36.4.1 FG%; 60.6 ppga, 34.9 FG% def. in C-USA.
- 14-of-45 (31.1%) on three pointers the past 2 games.
- 13-of-75 (17.3%) from distance the prior 4 contests.
- 53-of-66 (80.3%) on free throws in past 3 tilts.
- 55-of-96 (57.3%) at the charity stripe in the prior 6 games.
- 190-of-243 (78.1) in free throws in 11 games +70%.
- 173-of-305 (56.7) at the line in other 15 contests.
- 10+ offensive boards in 24 of 26 tilts, with 8 of 20+.
- 6 against Houston (2/21) & 8 at Rice (1/24).
- 12 helpers or fewer in of 7 of past 11 games.
- 17+ assists in 4 straight contests before the decline.
- 4th time in school history to have such a streak.
- 2005-06 & 2007-08 (4 games) 2006-07 (5 games).
- 61 turnovers in past 3 games.
- 58 giveaways in previous 4 contests.
- More turnovers than foes in 8 games (4-4).
- 25 points combined by reserves past 6 games.
- 34 points total from bench players the prior 3 contests.
- Scored 80+ points vs. both SHSU & UTPA.
- First time with 80+ points in consecutive games vs. D1 foes since 2005-06 (85, at N. Colo., 12/13 & 83 vs. Ill. St. 12/18).
- Back-to-back games of 20+ offensive boards (SHSU/UTPA).
- Feat hadn’t been achieved since 2006-07.
- Allowed 70+ points in 2 of past 3 games.
- Happened twice in first 24 contests.
- Prevented 17 teams from cracking 60 points, with 6 at 50 or less.
- Scoring defense of 57.7 would rank as 3rd best in school history.
- 21 foes held below 40%, with 8 connecting on less than 30%.
- No opponent has shot about 50% from floor in past 71 games.
- Memphis (2/24) had 18 assists & shot opp. season-high 48.1%.
- 8 previous foes had 12 or fewer helpers.
- Memphis nailed 10-of-15 (66.7%) on threes.
- Past 2 teams were combined 5-of-24 (20.8%) on 3 pointers.
- Forced 19+ turnovers in 2 of the past 4 games.
- 7 of 8 prior foes committed 15 or fewer giveaways.
- Allowed 41 offensive boards in past 3 games.
- USM (2/10) & Marshall (2/14) both finished with exactly 7.
- 3 blocks at Memphis (2/24).
- 4 total rejections the prior 4 contests.
- 66 fouls & foes are 65-of-93 (69.9%) on free throws past 3 tilts.
- 44 fouls & opponents were 30-of-51 at the line prior 3 games.
- Equaled a school record by holding four straight opponents to 50 points or less (12/5-12/20) before SHSU had 66 (12/28).
- The 1992-93 squad was the first to do so.
- Also streaks of 3 in a row of conceding 50 points or less in 1974-75, 1980-81, 2003-04 & 2011-12.
- Kept NM State (12/5) & ENMU (12/8) to less than 23%.
- 1st time in school history consecutive foes fell shy of figure.
- TSU (11/22) tied for 7th most turnovers by opponent with 33.
QUICK HITTERS ACROSS THE ROSTER
#2 Cameasha Turner (5-9, Freshman, G)
- One of 8 Miners to earn +10.0 mpg (13.2), playing 21 games.
- Started in place of ailing Irene Gari past 2 contests.
- 20 points (6-of-18 floor, 5-of-7 FT) past 4 games.
- 20 points (7-of-37 floor, 6-11 FT) previous 16 appearances.
- 9 boards, 5 offensive, in the past 4 contests.
- 1 offensive rebound in her first 18 games played as a Miner.
- 2-of-4 on three-point shots the past 4 tilts.
- 1-of-19 from distance over her initial 18 appearances.
- 13 fouls in 77 minutes over past 3 contests.
- 15 fouls in 213 minutes her first 19 tilts.
- 10+ minutes in 6 straight games.
- 11 minutes total in first 3 league appearances.
- 7+ minutes in each of the 13 non-conference contests.
- Rated as No. 74 point guard in country & assessed a grade of 86 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#3 Kelli Willingham (5-6, Junior, PG)
- Started every game & tops team in assist/turnover ratio (1.4), three pointers made (48) & minutes per game (32.7).
- 2nd on squad in assists per game (2.9) & total steals (27).
- One of four Miners with at least 8.5 ppg (9.0).
- 25 points, with season-high-tying 18 vs. UH (2/21), past 2 tilts.
- 19 points combined the previous 3 contests.
- 7 double-digit contests on year & 28 career.
- 1-of-8 on three pointers at Memphis (2/24).
- 4-of-9 from distance (season best) in prior game vs. UH (2/21).
- Made at least 1 three pointer in every game but at Tulsa (1/9).
- 8-of-9 on free throws the past two contests.
- 8-of-12 at charity stripe the prior 6 games.
- 5 assists at Memphis (2/24) to equal effort from prior 3 games.
- 30+ minutes in 16 of past 17 contests & team-high 21 times.
- 23 minutes vs SMU (2/3), thanks largely to 2 fouls in 1st half.
- 8 games with 4+ rebounds. Had 5 such games in 2011-12.
- 2012 C-USA All-Academic Team member.
- 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Medal recipient.
- 59-26 as starter, including 19-7 in 2012-13.
#4 Irene Gari (6-1, Freshman, G)
- 24.7 mpg in all 26 games, with 21 starts.
- Moved into starting line-up after Kristine Vitola sustained a season-ending injury against Arizona State (11/18/12).
- Came off the bench the past 2 games as result of an injury.
- Limited to 25 minutes total since moving to the bench.
- Had started 21 straight before getting hurt.
- 7 double-digit scoring games to rank 4th on squad.
- 3+ boards in 17 games, with nine of at least 5.
- 9-of-41 (22.0% from floor) for 22 points (4.4 ppg) past 5 games.
- 7-of-16 (43.8% from floor) & 19 points (6.3 ppg) prior 3 contests.
- 20 offensive boards, but only 6 in the 13 C-USA contests.
- 6 turnovers total the past 6 contests.
- 10 giveaways the previous 3 tilts.
- 10 fouls in 55 minutes of action the past 3 games.
- 9 fouls in 248 minutes the prior 9 contests.
- Named C-USA Freshman of Week on Dec. 10.
- First player in program history from Spain.
#5 Kayla Thornton (6-1, Junior, F)
- Started every game, earning second-most mpg (30.1).
- Leads team in double-doubles (9), scoring (15.7), & steals (46).
- 2nd in double-digit scoring games (19), double-figure rebounding games (11), rebounds (8.5) & offensive boards (82).
- 1 of 3 Miners with 70+ free throws (73-of-102).
- 48.9% (108-of-224) on year in 2-point shots.
- 29.6% (34-of-122) on season in 3-point tries.
- 77 points (27-of-57 shooting) past 3 games.
- 25 points (9-of-34 shooting) prior 3 contests.
- Career-high 32 points at Memphis (2/24).
- 6 three pointers tied as the 4th most in program history.
- 8-of-19 (42.1) on three pointers the past 2 games.
- 2-of-19 (10.5) on three-point shots the prior 4 contests.
- 19-of-23 (82.6) on free throws past 5 contests.
- 2-of-5 (40.0) at charity stripe prior 3 tilts.
- Multiple steals in 4 straight games for first time this year.
- 30+ minutes in 10 of past 13 games.
- 30+ minutes 4 times over first 13 tilts.
- 3 foul in 101 minutes combined the past 3 games.
- 3+ fouls in 4 games before.
- 54-17 as a starter, including 19-7 in 2012-13.
- C-USA Co-Player of the Week on 12/17/12.
- 2012 Junkanoo Jam MVP (16 ppg, 8.0 rpg).
- 2012-13 preseason All-C-USA team.
- 2012 2nd-team All C-USA (9.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg).
#10 Syerra Davis (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- Played in 25 of 26 games as reserve, earning 9.8 mpg.
- 1 of 3 Miners with +assist/turnover ratio (1.2).
- 1-of-1 shooting & 5 rebounds in 12 minutes at Memphis (2/24).
- Had not attempted a field goal in 34 minutes the prior 6 games.
- 5 total boards in 89 minutes combined the 12 previous contests.
- 2 assists at Memphis to double effort from prior 8 games.
- DNP for 1st time of year against Southern Miss (2/10).
- Hit only three-point try at Tulsa (1/9).
- 0-of-8 from distance in other games.
- 13 points (6-of-11) vs. LMU (11/10) & vs. TSU (12/1).
- 14 points (5-25) in other 23 games.
- 6 assists combined at Tulsa (1/9) & vs. East Carolina (1/13).
- 13 total helpers in other 23 contests.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#12 Anete Steinberga (6-2, Senior, C)
- Lone healthy senior & has started every game.
- 17 straight & team-high 23 games of 10+ points.
- Traci Miller (1986-87) holds school record for consecutive double-digit scoring games with 19 in a row.
- Lisa Watson (1988-89) has the program standard for most double-figure scoring contests in a season at 28.
- Previously long stretch in career was 6 in a row (twice).
- 2nd on team in scoring (14.8) & 3rd in boards (7.0)
- Paces team in free-throws made (87) & attempts (118).
- 1 of 3 Miners with 70+ offensive boards (70).
- 2 points in opener vs. LMU (11/10).
- 8+ points in each game since, with 23 of at least 10 points.
- Double-double in 6 of the past 11 contests.
- Did not achieve the feat over first 15 tilts.
- 20 assists, including career-high 5 vs. SMU (2/3), past 8 games.
- 21 helpers total the first 18 games of the campaign.
- 6-of-17 (35.3%) from the floor at Memphis.
- 29-of-59 (49.2) shooting combined the prior 4 games.
- 29-of-38 (76.3) on free throws the past 6 games.
- 4-of-9 at the charity stripe the previous 4 contests.
- 3+ fouls in 12 of past 13 contests.
- 30+ minutes in 9 straight & 14 times total on year.
- 2 such contests in 2011-12.
- C-USA Player of the Week on 1/14/12.
- 2010, 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#14 Marissa Rodriguez (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- 22 minutes in 7 games of action.
- Career-high 5 points vs. ENMU (12/8).
- 2 of 3 shots made have been three pointers.
- 4 of 5 shots tried from beyond the arc.
- 3 pointer vs. NM State (12/5) for first career points.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Medal Recipient.
- Recipient of 2012 C-USA Academic Medal.
- Walk-on who grew up in El Paso.
- Attended HS in San Antonio before returning.
#20 Diamond Posey (5-7, Freshman, G)
- 4.6 minutes per game & competed in 10 contests as a reserve.
- 37 minutes total in 8 appearances in non-conference play.
- 5 minutes at Memphis (2/24); 4 total in her first 2 league games.
- 1st career assist at Memphis & also hit a three pointer.
- All 14 points scored in her most-recent 6 appearances.
- 4-of-8 from floor in those games.
- Scoreless & 0-of-5 from floor previously.
- 9 of 13 field-goal attempts have been treys.
- Ranked as No. 106 guard in country & assessed a grade of 87 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#32 Chrishauna Parker (5-10, Sophomore, G)
- Started every game & paces team in assists per game (4.1), FG% (50.3), offensive boards (95) & rebounding (9.2).
- Amy Pack (9.4, 2000-01) was last Miner with at least 9.0 rpg.
- No Miner has ever finished with +4.0 apg & 9.0 rpg.
- 2nd in free throws (71) & attempts (116), 3rd in double-doubles (5) & scoring (9.2).
- Lone Miner with 5+ boards in every game.
- 10+ boards in 7 of past 9 & team-high 12 tilts.
- 3+ offensive boards in 17 of past 19 contests.
- 12 games with at least 5 assists.
- Never had more than 3 assists last year.
- 5+ free throw attempts in 9 games.
- 3 games with 10+ free throw attempts.
- 26-7 as starter, including 19-6 in 2012-13.
#34 Destinee LaFountain (6-1, Junior, F)
- Played in all 26 games as center, earning 12.9 mpg.
- Team-high 18 blocked shots.
- 2 points (both free throws) & 0-of-4 from floor past 5 games.
- 8 points (4-of-8 shooting) in prior 2 contests.
- 4 rebounds total in past 5 games.
- 3+ boards in 4 straight games before for 1st time of career.
- Hit 5 of her past 8 free throws attempted.
- 5-of-19 at charity stripe before the recent stretch.
- 3-of-6 at the line in the season opener vs. LMU (11/10).
- Joined UTEP from Ventura College.
- Earned Honorable-Mention All-America Honors.
IT’S A MONTH THING
- Winning record in 3 of 5 months under Keitha Adams.
- December (53-25) is the top month, followed by November (38-22) & January (55-38).
- 22-7 combined in January & February of 2012 & 2013.
STAT LOVERS’ LANE
- Difference between winning & losing can be stark. Here’s the breakdown for the Miners in wins & losses.
In 19 Wins (Average Stats)
Team Pts FG% 3fg% FT% RB TO
UTEP 67.6 39.8 28.9 63.8 44.9 15.8
Opp. 53.7 32.5 28.2 70.3 37.2 18.3
In 7 Losses (Average Stats)
Team Pts FG% 3fg% FT% RB TO
UTEP 62.0 33.6 27.0 74.0 44.9 16.0
Opp. 68.6 38.1 41.7 67.7 39.9 12.7
- Hit at least 1 three pointer in program-best 225 straight games.
- Last game without a trey was Dec. 30, 2005.
- Hit 1 in all but 4 games under Keitha Adams.
- 8-2 on year & 119-15 with 70+ pts under Adams.
- 10-1 on year & 108-17 past 125 games when making 40.5 percent or better from floor.
- 5-1 on year & 76-18 under Adams +40.0% on 3s.
- 15-5 on year & 130-48 under Adams winning boards.
- 63-17 in past 80 games when doing so.
- 3-0 on year & 59-2 under Adams with 20+ assists.
- 6-0 this year & 71-12 under Adams when more turnovers forced than field-goals made by the opposition.
- 52-3 in that area since the start of the 2006-07 campaign.
- 58-16 past 75 games making 70% on free throws (min. 10 free throws made), but just 5-5 in area this year.
- 7-1 on year & 32-13 since 2006-07 when falling shy of 61 percent at the line (min. 10 free-throw attempts).
Anete Steinberga (Senior)
- 14th on UTEP scoring list (908).
- Chris Hall (1985-89) is 13th (898).
- 13th on UTEP rebounding charts (526).
- Monica Ramirez (1991-94) is 12th (532).
- 52, 10+ point games most of any active Miners.
- 8th at UTEP for career field-goal% (45.2).
- 9th in field goals (361). Lisa Watson (1987-89) is 8th (379).
- UTEP has won 80 games since Steinberga & the now injured Kristine Vitola arrived on campus in 2009, which ties for 3rd.
- Started 81 games to place t6th at UTEP.
- Dietra Caldwell (2008-11) also started 81.
- 100 games played. She is the 18th Miner to hit century mark.
- 12 double-doubles rates tied for 8th.
Kayla Thornton (Junior)
- 1 of 3 Miners in school history with at least 800 points (934), 100 steals (113) & 600 rebounds (629).
- Timika Williams (2006-10, 1,087 pts./129 stl. /794 rbs.) & Kiana Taylor (1993-96, 97-98, 1134 pt./120 stl./676 rb) are the others.
- 5th for rebounds (629) & ninth for average (7.2)
- Izabela Piekarska (2004-08) ranks fourth on the list (651).
- Taylor is 3rd (676) while Williams is 2nd (794).
- Kim Watts (1978-82) holds the school standard (810).
- 11th for total points (934).
- Kristi Lattin (1995-99) & Lisa Watson (1987-89) t9th at 966.
- 15th at school for steals (113).
- Dietra Caldwell (2008-11) is 14th (115).
- UTEP has won 64 games since she & classmate Kelli Willingham arrived on campus in 2010. That ties for 9th by a UTEP class.
- 7th place held by Piekarska & Kasia Krezel with 76 (2004-08).
- 17 double doubles ranks 5th at school.
- Dragana Zoric (2001-03) is 4th with 18.
- Taylor & Gloria Brown (2010-12) share 2nd at 20.
- Amy Pack (1999-01) holds the record with 22.
- 10th at UTEP for career field-goal% (43.8).
- One of 18 Miners with 2000+ minutes (2,178)
Kelli Willingham (Junior)
- Recently became 27th Miner all time with 700+ points (767).
- On the way to reaching 300+ assists (296).
- Would be 3rd Miner Jareica Hughes (2006-09) & Ana Valtierra (2002-07) with 700+ pts/300+ assists.
- UTEP has won 64 games since she & classmate Kayla Thornton arrived on campus in 2010. That ties for 9th by a UTEP class.
- 7th place held by Piekarska & Kasia Krezel with 76 (2004-08).
- Fourth at UTEP for three pointers made (141).
- Hughes holds 3rd place at 142.
- Fifth for triples attempted (405).
- Fourth place held by Hughes (430).
- 3rd at UTEP for career starts (84).
- Ana Valtierra (2002-07) is 3rd (103).
- 8th all time for minutes played (2,726).
- Izabela Piekarska (2004-08) is 8th (2,712).
- 79.5 free-throw % (min. 100 made) is 2nd.
TAKING OUT POWER SCHOOLS
- 3 wins against members of power conferences.
- UTEP downed Pacific 12 members Arizona State (60-54, 11/18/12) & Arizona (64-53, 11/23/12) while also toppling Kansas State on the road (52-50, 12/16/12).
- 6-35 all time in such games, including 3-0 this year.
- 4 of the wins during the Keitha Adams era.
- UTEP beat Nebraska (Big 12, 63-53, 12/20/08).
- Before Adams, UTEP beat Kansas State (Big 8, 67-61, 12/6/96) & Arizona (66-46, Pac 10, 11/20/80).
THIS & THAT
- Winning mark at 10 (9-1), 15 (14-1) & 20 (17-3) games.
- School-record 9th straight season of winning mark at 15 tilts.
- Prior school standards was four.
- Program-record 8th straight winning mark at 20 games.
- Previous record was six consecutive campaigns.
- 4 in row & 6 total under Keitha Adams of +.500 at 10 games.
- 2nd straight & 3rd overall start of at least 5-0 on the year.
- Longest win streak to start year is 10 (2011-12).
- Previously never had back-to-back 3-0 starts.
SUCCESS GALORE IN NON CONFERENCE
- Most wins (12) before league play by UTEP team.
- Prior school standard was 11.
- 11-2 entering C-USA play last year & 11-1 at juncture in 2006-07.
- 99-57 in non-league play under Keitha Adams.
- School-record 8 straight seasons of .500 or better out of league.
- 75-33 in timeframe, including 23-4 past 2 years.
- The prior record was four (1994-95 to 1997-98).
- 29-4 to set both the school (men’s) & Conference USA single-season record for wins. 4 losses were by a combined 15 points.
- Won both the 2012 Conference USA regular-season & tournament title championship.
- 1st tourney title at school & 2nd regular-season crown.
- Fell to #11/12 Penn State (85-77) in first round of NCAA Tourney.
- Finished 15-1 in C-USA play, with .938 winning percentage rating third all time in the league.
- Program-best 10-0 start to the year. Also had 15-game win streak.
- Other single-season records set include blocked shots (197), games played (33), rebounding margin (+9.5), scoring defense (54.2), scoring margin (13.4), double-digit wins (21), road wins (11), wins by at 20+ points & overall wins (29).
- Led C-USA in attendance average (2,639), blocked shots (6.0), field-goal percentage (40.8), field-goal percentage defense (33.6), free-throw percentage (69.7), RPI (49), rebounding margin (6.0), scoring margin (+13.4), three-point percentage defense (24.5)
- Received votes for the top-25 the final nine weeks of the season.
- Gloria Brown was voted first-team All C-USA, a member of the all-defensive team, named the Sixth Player of the Year and voted as the 2012 C-USA Tournament Champion MVP.
- Kayla Thornton was a 2nd-team All C-USA member & voted to all-tournament team.
- Keitha Adams was tabbed C-USA Coach of the Year.
- Kelli Willingham was voted to the C-USA Academic All Conference Team.
- More than 2,000 fans in 9 of the final 10 games and a single-season best 11 times overall.
- Final five games all had more than 4,000 fans, also a program best.
- Averaged 4,243 fans during the eight C-USA home games.
ALL ABOUT THE FANS
- Leading C-USA with 2,479 fans on average.
- East Carolina is 2nd (1,433), more than 1,000 in back.
- All four non-conference home games of 3,000+ fans at school have been under Keitha Adams.
- Topped 3,000 in back-to-back non conference contests (UNM, SHSU) for first time at school.
- 23 of the 29 home games in school history with 3,000+ fans occurred during Adams’ tenure.
- 22-7 all time in such contests, including 19-4 under Adams.
UTEP Home Games With 3,000+ Fans
No. Crowd Foe Score Date
1. 7,255 SMU* W, 76-63 2/28/08
2. 7,212 Memphis* W, 80-58 2/10/07
3. 7,103 BYU* L, 57-61 2/22/93
4. 7,003 ECU* W, 81-53 2/10/08
5. 6,532 SMU* W, 68-50 2/23/12
6. 6,421 Rice* L, 48-52 2/26/12
7. 5,513 Houston* W, 80-55 2/14/08
8. 5,093 Tulsa* W, 65-50 3/1/08
9. 4,682 UNLV* W, 73-58 2/10/98
10. 4,536 Tulane* W, 80-65 2/12/12
11. 4,501 Southern Miss* W, 60-55 2/10/13
12. 4,167 Marshall* W, 64-58 2/9/12
13. 4,069 TCU* W, 79-76 2/22/01
14. 4,029 UCF* W, 67-38 1/29/12
15. 4,007 Tulsa* W, 50-35 1/31/13
16. 3,781 UAB* L, 57-61 1/20/13
17. 3,497 Houston* W, 73-55 2/21/13
18. 3,726 Hawaii* L, 36-65 2/3/00
19. 3,646 Houston* W, 74-67 1/11/09
20. 3,497 Rice* W, 65-52 1/5/07
21. 3,450 UNM W, 64-62 12/20/10
22. 3,273 NM State L, 60-61 12/7/02
23. 3,215 Fresno St.* L, 62-78 2/14/02
24. 3,173 San Diego St.* W, 70-59 1/22/93
25. 3,107 Fresno State* W, 45-38 2/12/04
26. 3,104 Wyoming* L, 64-66 3/6/93
27. 3,102 SHSU W, 85-66 12/28/12
28. 3,091 New Mexico W, 60-45 12/20/12
29. 3,052 Memphis* W, 66-60 1/8/12
denotes Adams era
* denotes league contest
CLIFFSNOTES ON 2012-13 CAMPAIGN
at UTEP 73, Houston 55 (2/21/13)
- UTEP jumped out to a 33-19 lead at the break and never looked back en route to toppling Houston, 73-55, at home Feb. 21.
- Connected on season-high 47.1% (vs. D1 foes) from the floor.
- Held UH to 29.1 percent & led by 10+ points for final 8:50.
- Teams were whistled for a combined 42 fouls. The Miners drilled 19-of-25 (76.0) percent at the line, including 15-of-20 in the second half. Houston finished at 17-of-21 from the charity stripe, with all of those occurring in the second stanza.
at UCF 76, UTEP 69, OT (2/17/13)
- Kayla Thornton (26 points, 11 rebounds), Anete Steinberga (18 points, 11 rebounds) & Chrishauna Parker (11 points, 11 rebounds) all registered double-doubles but UTEP was derailed in overtime at UCF, 76-69, on Feb. 17.
- Led for most of regulation only to have UCF force OT after 58% free-throw shooter Erika Jones sank a pair of tosses at the charity stripe to tie the tilt at 66 with 0.8 seconds left.
- Knights scored the first 10 points of OT before Cameasha Turner hit a 3 with 4 seconds left to account for the game’s final points.
- UCF shot 32.2 percent & was out-rebounded, 52-44.
- Overcame that by going 31-of-45 at charity stripe, including a combined 17-of-27 in the second half and overtime.
- UTEP was 17-of-22 at the line, but missed 3 in final 26 seconds.
at Marshall 59, UTEP 47 (2/14/13)
- Steinberga was 8-of-16 from floor; Rest of team went 9-of-43.
- UTEP wrapped 12-0 run around halftime to trim 14-point deficit down to two (27-25, 19:35 2H).
- MU regained control with 13-2 run next five minutes & UTEP couldn’t get closer than nine.
- 1st double-digit loss for UTEP in almost two years.
at UTEP 60, Southern Miss 55 (2/10/13)
- Anete Steinberga posted a monstrous double-double (17 points, 16 rebounds), and UTEP used a 12-0 run over the final 1:47 to rally past Southern Miss, 60-55, Feb. 10.
- The 11th-largest crowd (4,501) & season high cheered on UTEP.
- Broke 2-game skid in C-USA play as result, its first since 2010-11.
- Trailed 55-48 with less than 2 minutes to play.
- Kayla Thornton also had a double-double (14 points, 11 boards).
- Thornton got comeback started with layup with 1:47 to play.
- UTEP called timeout to set up a press & madness ensued.
- Miners forced three turnovers in 25 seconds, scoring after each.
- Result was 8-0 run in 50 seconds to take lead for good.
- Steinberga capped sequence with old-fashioned three-point play.
- Defense delivered four more stops & UTEP hit 3 free throws to ice it.
at Tulane 56, UTEP 49 (2/7/13)
- Tulane shot 28.1% (18-of-64), including 26.3% (5-of-19) on 3s.
- UTEP trailed by 10 (15-5) four minutes into the game.
- It worked deficit down to 25-21 with 3:42 left in half but Tulane finished on 7-0 run, including half-court shot as time expired.
- Fought back from down 13 to get within 3, but Tulane held on.
- Kayla Thornton added nine points.
- Shot 30.8% (16-of-52) from the floor.
- Nailed 15-of-21 (71.4%) free throws & had 15 turnovers.
SMU 83, at UTEP 72 (2/3/13)
- Connected on 42.4% (28-of-66) from floor, including 8-20 on 3s.
- Won boards (41-38) but SMU had too much firepower.
- 3 SMU players combined for 63 points.
- SMU led 38-34 at half & eventually at 68-50 with 8:26 to play.
- UTEP used 13-2 run to trim deficit to 7 but couldn’t finish rally.
- Chrishauna Parker had game-high 11 boards & five assists.
at UTEP 50, Tulsa 35 (1/31/13)
- UTEP used swarming defense and an offensive outburst in the second half to storm past Tulsa, 50-35, in front of a season-best 4,006 fans at the Don Haskins Center Jan. 31.
- Tulsa was held to the lowest field-goal percentage (20.6) and fewest points (35) by a conference opponent in UTEP history.
- First double-digit win for UTEP when scoring 50 or fewer points.
- TU led 22-17 with 17:31 to play before 18-2 UTEP run.
- Kayla Thornton scored 16 points & had eight rebounds.
- Anete Steinberga (13 points & 10 rebounds) had a double-double
- Chrishauna Parker scored seven points, grabbed a career-best 15 rebounds while posting four assist & three steals.
UTEP 65, at Houston 54 (1/24/13)
- Buoyed by Anete Steinberga’s double-double (20 points, 12 rebounds) and a sizzling second half of shooting, UTEP soared to a 65-54 road conquest of Houston on Jan. 27.
- There were four ties & 11 lead changes, with UTEP using 11-2 run to grab 50-43 edge & it never relinquished it.
- Shot 58.7 (17-of-29) after the break.
- Owned the boards, with a +19 margin (50-31).
- UH shot 28.1 % (16-of-57), including 24.0% on threes (6-of-24).
- Chrishauna Parker flirted with a triple double (8 points, 10 rebounds & 7 assists).
UTEP 49, at Rice (1/24/13)
- Anete Steinberga banked home a lay-up with 10 seconds to play to propel UTEP to a 49-48 win at Rice Jan. 24.
- A quality Miners’ double team forced Jessica Kuster, who finished with a game-high 21 points, to give it up and the shot by Christal Porter rimmed out as time expired.
- Parker had a huge impact on the eventual game-winning bucket, coming up with a loose ball to save the possession before Irene Gari used a beautiful lob pass to find Steinberga.
- Used 18-0 run to build a 14-point lead in the first half, finished the game at 33.3 (19-of-57) percent from the floor.
- Made 75% (9-of-12) on free throws & had 12 turnovers.
- Rice was held to 36.4 percent (20-of-55) from the floor.
UAB 61, at UTEP 57 (1/20/13)
- Blazers closed game on 13-4 push.
- Chrishauna Parker buoyed Steinberga and Thornton with nine points and 12 boards.
- Kelli Willingham chipped in eight, but no other Miner finished with more than four points.
- Miners were searching for 1st 15-1 start to year.
- UTEP outrebounded UAB, 57-33, the largest margin in a loss.
at UTEP 81, East Carolina 66 (1/9/13)
- Five different Miners reached double figures in scoring, & UTEP used a huge second half to beat East Carolina, 81-66, at home on Jan. 13.
- Outscored ECU, 54-31, in the second half.
- 54 points are 7th in the 2nd half of a game in program annals.
- The Pirates led by five (48-43) before a 10-0 UTEP run provided the first & only lead change.
- Kelli Willingham scored 8 points in run & finished with 15.
- Gari and Parker flirted with a double-double with 9 boards each.
- Fourth straight win in league home opener.
- Won six of the past seven contests in situation.
- Moved to 9-3 in them under Keitha Adams & 16-16 overall in program history.
UTEP 71, at Tulsa 64 (1/9/13)
- Kayla Thornton posted her fifth double-double of the season (23 points & 12 boards) and Anete Steinberga navigated through foul trouble to add 18 as UTEP toppled Tulsa, 71-64, on the road in the Conference USA opener for both squads on Jan. 9.
- Thornton scored 16 points in the first half, including drilling 1 of her 5 three pointers in game as time expired, to give UTEP a 5-point lead (32-27) at the break).
- Advantage swelled to 12 & UTEP withstood several charges.
- Kelli Willingham had career-high nine boards.
- UTEP won its fourth straight league opener.
- It improved to 6-2 in them since joining C-USA.
at UTEP 83, UTPA 56 (12/30/12)
- Kayla Thornton (15 points & 14 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (17 points & 12 rebounds) both registered double-doubles, and UTEP ran its unbeaten streak to seven with an 83-56 victory against UTPA on Dec. 30.
- Never trailed & used 18-4 run early in 2nd half to blow it open.
- Hit on 40.3 percent from floor & finished with 18 assists.
- Parker set the scoring tone with a game-high and career-best 17 points while also adding four helpers. She was 9-of-10 at line.
- Saidah Zuberi Allen came off the bench to tally a career-best 12 points while also grabbing eight rebounds.
- Anete Steinberga finished with the identical stat line.
at UTEP 85, Sam Houston 66 (12/28/12)
- Anete Steinberga scored a season-high 23 points, Kayla Thornton added 17 and Chrishauna Parker posted her third career double-double to help UTEP soar past Sam Houston State, 85-66, in front of a then season-best 3,102 fans Dec. 28.
- Used 23-8 run to take control of game after falling behind 5-0.
- Led 44-25 at the half & never was threatened down the stretch.
- Parker had 15 points, then career-best 14 boards & 7 assists.
- UTEP had 6 turnovers to tie as 4th fewest in single game.
- Bearkats held to 33.3 percent from floor.
- The school-record-tying four-game streak of foes being held to 50 points or less was halted.
at UTEP 60, New Mexico 45 (12/20/12)
- Kayla Thornton poured in 22 points while Irene Gari (11 points) and Anete Steinberga (10 points) also reached double figures as UTEP topped New Mexico, 60-45, in front of a then season-best 3,091 fans at the Don Haskins Center Dec. 20.
- The Miners led wire-to-wire.
- Forced 20 turnovers-which led to 22 points, & UNM shot 35.7%.
- UTEP made 20-of-29 free throws.
- UNM was 1-of-3 at the line, which ties as the fewest makes & attempts by foe in school history.
UTEP 52, at Kansas State 50 (12/16/12)
- Trailing by 10 (48-38) with 5:27 to play, UTEP dug deep and finished the game on a 14-2 run to topple previously unbeaten Kansas State, 52-50, at Bramlage Coliseum on Dec. 16.
- Improved to 3-0 this year against power conference schools.
- KSU fell to 100-10 in non-league home games the past 17 years.
- Held KSU to 29.2 percent (19-of-65) from the floor.
at UTEP 71, Eastern New Mexico 34 (12/8/12)
- UTEP dismantling Eastern New Mexico, 71-34, to push its winning streak to three on Dec. 8.
- The Miners, who never trailed in the contest, led the Division II Zias by 25 at the break (43-18) and were up by at least 30 for the final six minutes of action.
- All 10 players who saw action scored, with freshman Irene Gari keying the charge by reaching double figures (14 points) for the second straight game.
at UTEP 66, NM State 44 (12/5/12)
- Buoyed by freshman Irene Gari’s career-high 19 points and stifling defense, UTEP pounded I-10 rival NM State, 66-44, at home Dec. 5.
- The game was tied 4-4 before UTEP closed the half on a 31-6 surge, which was started by a 13-0 run.
- NM State finished with the third-lowest field-goal percentage by an opponent (20.9) in program history.
- It connected on just 2-of-17 in the first half (11.8 percent).
- Aggies scored 24 of 44 points in game on free throws.
- UTEP nailed eight three pointers to nearly match its sum (nine) from the prior three contests.
at UTEP 88, Texas State 81 (12/1/12)
- Thornton also grabbed 11 boards to secure her second double-double this year & 10th of her career.
- Trailed,46-41, at the half before a big second half.
- The game featured seven lead changes and 10 ties before a 7-0 run by UTEP in the final minute.
- Chrishauna Parker started it with a lay-up off an offensive rebound before Kelli Willingham drilled the Miners’ lone three pointer of the night with 28 seconds left. Thornton capped the surge, while also essentially icing the game, by sinking two free throws with 11 seconds to play.
at NM State 69, UTEP 68 (11/28/12)
- UTEP sustained its first loss of the season after being edged at NM State, 69-68, Nov. 28. The Aggies never led by more than one point in the game.
- There were five lead changes in the final 1:21, with the last one being after two made free throws by NM State’s Daneshia Williamson with 12 seconds left. UTEP pushed the ball up the court but couldn’t get a shot off in time.
- After connecting on a combined 55.2 percent (69-125) from the free-throw line the first five games, UTEP nailed 17-of-19 (89.5).
- Thornton set a career high for rebounds (15) while Gari established one for points (seven).
UTEP 64, vs. Arizona 53 (11/23/12)
- UTEP wrapped a 17-point run around the intermission and pulled away to a 64-53 victory against Arizona to win the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 23.
- Anete Steinberga led four players in double figures with 18 points. Kayla Thornton (10 points, 10 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (10 points, 11 rebounds) each had double-doubles and Kelli Willingham added 11 points to help the Miners to their second victory against a Pacific-12 team in a week.
- It marked the first career double-double for Parker.
UTEP 61, vs. Texas Southern 52 (11/22/12)
- UTEP rode a big second half to post a 61-52 win vs. Texas Southern at its first game of the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 22.
- Outscored the Tigers 38-22 in the second half to make a 30-23 halftime deficit a distant memory.
at UTEP 60, Arizona State 54 (11/18/12)
- Sophomore Chrishauna Parker scored 15 points, senior Anete Steinberga added 14, and UTEP defended with tenacity in an emotional 60-54 victory against traditional Pacific-12 power Arizona State at the Don Haskins Center Nov. 18.
- The back-and-forth game featured 10 ties and 15 lead changes. UTEP outscored ASU, 33-26, in the second half, including a key 5-0 run to break a 45-45 deadlock with 4:35 left.
- Connected on 25-of-39 at the free-throw line, including going 10-of-12 in the final four minutes of the tilt.
- Parker led the charge in that department by making 9-of-12, both career highs. Kelli Willingham was perfect (4-4) at the line while Steinberga drilled four as well.
- Willingham dished out four assists, but more importantly had just one turnover despite facing a full-court press from ASU for the majority of the contest.
- UTEP held ASU to 33.9 percent (19-of-56) while also forcing 18 turnovers that led to 22 points.
- Marring the win was Kristine Vitola sustaining torn ACL.
at UTEP 67, HBU 58 (11/16/12)
- The Huskies hung around for a bit before the Miners blew the visitors out of the water with a game-changing 19-6 run spanning about seven minutes in the second half.
- The surge afforded UTEP a 56-41 lead with 8:10 to play, and HBU never got closer than seven down the stretch.
at UTEP 79, LMU 51 (11/10/12)
- Kristine Vitola notched her first career-double double (21 points, 12 rebounds) to help UTEP pound Loyola Marymount.
- In addition to it being the initial double-double since joining the Orange and Blue, Vitola also set career standards for points (21) and boards (12). She hit on 10-of-11 free throws, also personal bests. She made 5-of-7 shots from the floor, including 1-of-2 from beyond-the-arc.
- UTEP opened up on a 15-0 run, with 10 points by Thornton.
- The prior best run to start a season under Keitha Adams was 7-0 in 2006-07.
- The 28-point margin of victory was the largest in a season opener vs. D1 foe in program history. The prior standard was 19 (68-49 vs. Northern Arizona, 11/20/05).
- The Miners improved to 7-5 in campaign lidlifters under head coach Keitha Adams, with 6-2 in home contests.
- 26-13 in home openers & 9-3 under Adams.
- 20-19 all time in season openers, 17-6 in El Paso.
at UTEP 69, St. Mary’s 60 (11/3/12)
- The Miners led for most of the game, and were up by 17 (61-44) with five minutes to play.
- Marring the victory was sophomore Jenzel Nash suffering a season-ending torn ACL.
The Last Meeting
January 24, 2013
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store