Free Admission As UTEP Plays Host To Southern Miss For "Pack The House Game"
Feb. 9, 2013
THE OPENING ACT
- UTEP will play host to Southern Miss at 2:05 p.m. MST at the Don Haskins Center Sunday.
- There is free admission as part of the “Pack The House Night” promotion.
- Game will stream online through UTEPAthletics.com (subscription required).
- The Golden Eagles (12-9, 4-4) have been idle since a 78-56 home loss to Tulsa Feb. 3.
- The Miners (17-4, 5-3) were edged at Tulane, 56-49, Feb. 7. Previously, it was a 82-73 setback to SMU at home Feb. 3.
- In the midst of playing 3 of 4 away from home. It will wrap that sequence up with match-ups at Marshall (5 p.m. MST, Feb. 14 & at UCF, 12 p.m. MST, Feb. 17).
- Lost consecutive C-USA contests for first time since 2010-11.
- 2010-11 also last time there was a 3-game skid of any kind.
- Have not lost back-to-back games in El Paso since falling by combined 4 points in final 2 home games of 2009-10.
- Have not dropped 2 league home tilts in span of 7 days since 2005-06, its first year as C-USA member.
- Winning percentage of .500 or better at halfway point of league action for the 7th straight year.
- 2007-08 (8-0, finished 16-0)
- 2011-12 (8-0, finished 15-1)
- 2006-07 (6-2, finished 10-6)
- 2008-09 (5-3, finished 11-5)
- 2010-11 (4-4, finished 7-9)
- 2009-10 (4-4, finished 6-10)
- Achieved 3 times in 15 campaigns before streak started.
- 2003-04 (5-4, finished 10-8
- 1997-98 (5-3, finished 10-6)
- 1992-93 (6-1, finished 8-6).
- 17 wins is 5th-highest single-season total in program history.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Seven straight weeks receiving votes in the polls.
- Rated fourth in ESPN.com Midmajor poll.
- 71st in the RPI (RPIRatings.com).
- 3-0 on year vs. teams from power-league conferences.
- Best overall win% (67.5) of C-USA teams since joining in 2005-06.
- 160-77 overall record, including 17-4 this year, in timeframe.
- Most league wins & best league win% of each team since 2005-06.
- 76-43 (.633) including 5-3 on year, in C-USA play.
- Tied for most years (4) with 10+ C-USA wins since 2005-06.
- Four C-USA weekly award recipients.
QUITE A RUN
- 46-8 since start of the 2011-12 season, including 17-4 this year.
- 31 wins, including 8 this year, by 10+ points.
- 8 losses by combined 29 points, with 4 losses this year by 21 total.
- 20-4 in C-USA games since 2011-12, including 5-3 this season.
- 62-22 overall since the start of 2010-11 campaign.
- 20 of 22 losses in that timeframe by single digits.
- Last double-digit loss was at Houston (61-77, 2/20/11).
- Other in sequence was at UCSB (50-68, 12/11/10).
UTEP & THE STAT RANKINGS
- Top-3 ranking in 9 of 14 major stat categories (chart, pg. 1).
- Pace C-USA in 2 categories.
- Kayla Thornton is 1 of 2 players in C-USA with top-10 ranking for both scoring (15.0-6th) & rebounding (8.2-7th).
- Anete Steinberga is 11th in scoring (14.0) & 13th in both field-goal percentage (42.8) & rebounding (6.8).
- Chrishauna Parker is 3rd in field-goal percentage (51.1), t3rd
in rebounding (8.8), t5th in assists (4.0), 9th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.2) & 25th in scoring (9.6 ppg).
- Kelli Willingham is 4th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.6), three-point percentage (37.1), t12th in assists per game (3.1) & 28th in scoring (9.1).
INSIDE THE SERIES
- UTEP leads the series, 7-3, including 2 wins last year.
- USM claimed first two meetings but UTEP is 7-1 since.
- Miners sport 3-0 record vs. USM at home & 2-0 neutral site.
GOING BACK IN TIME
at Tulane 56, UTEP 49 (2/7/13)
- Tulane shot 28.1% (18-of-64), including 26.3% (5-of-19) on 3s.
- UTEP trailed by 10 (15-5) four minutes into the game.
- It worked deficit down to 25-21 with 3:42 left in half but Tulane finished on 7-0 run, including half-court shot as time expired.
- Fought back from down 13 to get within 3, but Tulane held on.
- Kayla Thornton added nine points.
- Shot 30.8% (16-of-52) from the floor.
- Nailed 15-of-21 (71.4%) free throws & had 15 turnovers.
GETTING TO KNOW SOUTHERN MISS
- Opened up at 0-2 before peeling off 4 straight wins.
- Dropped 3 of next 4 before another 4-game streak.
- After 1-3 stretch, has gone 2-1.
- 3 players with 10+ ppg, with 2 at +14.0 ppg.
- 2 players at +6.0 ppg but no one else better than +4.5 rpg.
- Tanecka Carey has hit 52 triples.
- Rest of squad combined for 22.
- Only Jamierra Faulker has more assists (133) than turnovers (117).
- Less than 60 points in consecutive contests.
- 70+ points in 2 games before.
- 7 of past 11 foes have been held to fewer than 60 points.
- Achieved feat 3 times in first 10 games.
- Southern Miss was founded in 1910.
- One of a dozen institutions in the nation to hold accreditation in all four fine arts emphasis areas (art, dance, theatre & music).
- Notable alumni include Jimmy Buffett (singer, songwriter & actor), Brett Favre (three-time NFL MVP QB) and Robert L. Stewart (former NASA astronaut) are notable alumni.
RUNDOWN ON THE 2012-13 MINERS
- Vitola was off to a tremendous start, leading the Miners in field-goal percentage (.600), rebounding (8.3) and scoring (16.0).
- Nash had 5.1 ppg in 11.9 mpg in promising freshman year.
- 1 healthy senior after Vitola’s injury.
- Miners had largest senior class (7) a year ago.
- Six newcomers are in mix with four true freshmen (Irene Gari, G, Jamie Madden, G, Diamond Posey, G, & Cameasha Turner), a freshman transfer Saidah Zuberi Allen (G/F) & a junior-college transfer Destinee LaFountain (F).
- Freshman F Tommitrise Collins will redshirt.
- Picked 2nd in the 2012-13 Conference USA Preseason Poll.
-Tulane was tabbed as the favorite to win the league.
TOUGH TO REPLACE
- Graduated biggest class (7) in program history.
- Headlining that group was 2012 C-USA Tournament MVP & second-team all C-USA honoree Gloria Brown, who paced the Miners in blocked shots (97), free throws made (102), attempted (125), percentage (.816), field-goal percentage (.527), points per game (12.1) and rebounds per contest (8.8). A reserve, she repeated as the C-USA 6th Player of the Year.
- Kim Smith (2.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.8 apg) & Erika Warren (5.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg) both started last year while Baiba Eglite (1.6 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.4 apg), Briana Green (2.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg & 1.1 apg), Whitney Houston (1.4 ppg, 0.1 rpg, 0.5 apg) & Melisa Mendes (4.1 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.7 apg) came off bench.
THE BASIC FACTS ON UTEP
- 464-590 since program started (1974-75) including 17-4 this year.
- Won 3 league titles, including claiming both the 2012 C-USA regular season & tournament championship (29-4 final mark).
- First league crown was in 2007-08.
- Became first C-USA women’s team to go 16-0 in league play.
- Finished 28-4 overall 2007-08, helped by school & C-USA setting 23-game winning streak.
- Appeared in two NCAA Tournaments, forging a mark of 1-2.
- Advanced to second round in 2008.
- Secured Conference USA’s automatic bid last year but derailed by national power (11/12) Penn State, 85-77, in the first round.
- Will celebrate its 100th year as a school in 2014.
- Notable alumni include former ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Sam Donaldson, well-respected NFL referee Ed Hochuli, former NASA astronaut Danny Olivas engineer & Dennis Poon, who designed Taipei 101 & some of the tallest buildings in the world.
THE ADAMS FILE
- Keitha Adams is 201-151 in 12th year at UTEP.
- Is program’s all-time win leader.
- 328-188 overall mark in 17 years as collegiate head coach.
- 1 of 5 active C-USA women’s basketball coaches with 300+ wins.
- All 3 20+ win seasons & 4 of 5 with 18+ wins at UTEP under Adams.
- Produced 7 straight & 8 total seasons with 16+ wins.
- Feat achieved three times in 27 years prior.
- All 3 league championships at school during her tenure.
- Same goes for both NCAA Tournament bids.
- 186-109 record past 10 years, including 17-4 in 2012-13.
- 115-155 was best record for 10-year stretch before her arrival.
- Led UTEP to 11-7 mark on national TV games.
- Earned votes in top-25 poll in 5 years, including 2012-13.
- Never achieved feat before Adams’ era.
- Nationally ranked for final six weeks of 07-08.
- 12 of 18 individual career record holders at UTEP played for Adams.
- Coached 15 players who have gone on to play professionally.
- Impacted the international game at the highest level, with Noni Wharemate representing New Zealand at ‘08 Olympic Games.
- Every player who has exhausted her eligibility at UTEP during her tenure has graduated.
HOME SWEET HOME
- Home record of 128-53 in Keitha Adams era.
- 93-21 since 2006-07, including 11-2 this year.
- 57-27 was the best 7-year record before Adams.
- 26-4 over past 30 home games.
- 7th straight year with 10+ home victories.
- Prior six featured at least 12.
- Four 10+ win seasons in 27 years before Adams.
- Only one of four (12-1, 1988-89) reached 12.
- 127-41 since starting streak in 2002-03.
- Overall road mark of 53-86 under Keitha Adams.
- 39-34 since 2006-07, including 4-2 this year.
- 25-57 was the best seven-year record before Adams.
- 16-3 over past 19 road contests.
- Fell at Tulane, 56-49, on Feb. 7.
- Had won school-record 12 consecutive C-USA road tilts.
- Previous mark was 9 (2006-07 through 2007-08)
Two winning road seasons under Adams.
- Never happened in first 27 years of program.
- Twice finished at .500 during Adams’ tenure.
- Only occurred a pair of times before her.
- 4 starters at +9.0 ppg, with 2 at +14.0 ppg, & the 5th at 5.9 ppg.
- No reserve contributing more than 3.5 points per game.
- Less than 60 points in 4 of past 6 games.
- 1 such game (52 at Kansas State, 12/16) in first 15 contests.
- 70+ points 4 straight games before dropoff.
- 30.8 points on avg. & 36.4% (243-668) in 1st half of games.
- 35.9 points on avg. & 41.1% (262-638) in 2nd half of games.
- Less than 40% from floor in 5 of 8 C-USA games.
- Happened 5 times total in 13 non-conference contests.
- 2-of-13 from distance at Tulane (2/7).
- 8-of-20 on treys, to equal season high, against SMU (2/3).
- 71.4% (15-of-21) on free throws at Tulane (2/3).
- 22-of-43 (51.2) at charity stripe the prior 3 games.
- 137-of-177 (77.4) in free throws in 8 games +70%.
- 155-of-273 (56.8) at the line in other 13 contests.
- 10+ offensive boards in 20 of 21 tilts, with 7 of 20+.
- 8 offensive rebounds at Rice (1/24)
- 12 assists or fewer in of 4 of past 6 games.
- 17+ assists in 4 straight contests before slump.
- 4th time in school history to have such a streak.
- 2005-06 & 2007-08 (4 games) 2006-07 (5 games).
- 15 turnovers at Tulane (2/7).
- 17+ in 4 straight before, with season-high 22 at Houston (1/27).
- More turnovers than foes in 6 games (3-3).
- 4 points by reserves at Tulane (2/7).
- 16 points from bench players vs. SMU (2/3).
- Scored 80+ points vs. both SHSU & UTPA.
- First time with 80+ points in consecutive games vs. D1 foes since 2005-06 (85, at N. Colo., 12/13 & 83 vs. Ill. St. 12/18).
- Had 20+ offensive boards vs. SHSU & UTPA.
- Feat hadn’t been achieved since 2006-07.
- Prevented 14 foes from cracking 60 points.
- 16 opponents have shot less than 36% from floor.
- SMU (82, 2/3) & Texas State (81, 12/1) are only with 70+ points.
- Kept 3 of past 4 teams to less than 30% from floor
- Held Tulane to 56 points (2/7).
- Conceded season-high 82 points against SMU (2/3).
- 6 of past 7 teams finished with 15 or fewer turnovers.
- Allowed 17+ offensive boards in 3 straight games.
- Happened once in first 19 contests.
- Tied season high for blocks (6) at Tulane (2/7).
- 9 steals combined past 2 games.
- 11 thefts vs. Tulsa (1/31).
- Equaled a school record by holding four straight opponents to 50 points or less (12/5-12/20) before SHSU had 66 (12/28).
- The 1992-93 squad was the first to do so.
- Also streaks of 3 in a row of conceding 50 points or less in 1974-75, 1980-81, 2003-04 & 2011-12.
- Kept NM State (12/5) & ENMU (12/8) to less than 23%.
- 1st time in school history consecutive foes fell shy of figure.
- TSU (11/22) tied for 7th most turnovers by opponent with 33.
QUICK HITTERS ACROSS THE ROSTER
#1 Jamie Madden (5-8, Freshman, PG)
- 9.2 minutes per game & has appeared in 12 contests as reserve.
- 7-of-19 from floor for 18 points in 72 minutes past 5 games.
- 3-of-13 shooting & tallied 12 points in first 8 appearances.
- 2-of-5 on three pointers vs. SMU (2/3).
- 1-of-10 in area in her first 11 appearances.
- 7-of-8 at the charity stripe.
- 2+ boards in 3 contests.
- Made debut at the Junkanoo Jam.
- Rated No. 103 point guard in nation by All Star Girls Report coming out of high school.
#2 Cameasha Turner (5-9, Freshman, G)
- One of nine Miners to earn +10.0 mpg (11.2)
- 2 boards in 16 minutes of action at Tulane (2/7).
- 2 rebounds in 42 minutes total over prior 6 appearances.
- Less than 5 minutes of action in 3 of 4 C-USA games played in.
- 7+ minutes in each of the 13 non-conference game.
- 11 points (4-of-9 shooting) in first three games.
- 15 points while hitting 5-of-32 in her 14 appearances since.
- 2+ rebounds seven times, but just one of those is in C-USA play.
- 1 offensive & 22 defensive rebounds.
- Rated as No. 74 point guard in country & assessed a grade of 86 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#3 Kelli Willingham (5-6, Junior, PG)
- Started every game & tops team in assist/turnover ratio (1.6), three pointers made (39) & minutes per game (31.6).
- 2nd on squad in assists per game (3.1) & total steals (23).
- One of four Miners with at least 9.0 ppg (9.1).
- Lone Miner with 5+ points in every game.
- 8 or more points in 12 contests.
- Back-to-back double-digit games for 1st time this year.
- 9-of-18 (50.0%) from floor the past 2 games.
- 11-of-39 (28.2) overall shooting in 4 previous games.
- Made at least 1 three pointer in every game but at Tulsa (1/9).
- 6-of-7 on free throws at Tulane (2/7).
- 2-of-3 at charity stripe in the 5 contests before.
- 4 assists at Tulane (2/7)
- 5 total in 3 prior tilts, including back-to-back 1-helper games.
- 3 or more assists in 15 games but contests with exactly 1.
- 30+ minutes in 11 of past 12 contests & team-high 16 times.
- 23 minutes vs SMU (2/3), thanks largely to 2 fouls in 1st half.
- 7 games with 4+ rebounds. Had 5 such games in 2011-12.
- 2012 C-USA All-Academic Team member.
- 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Medal recipient.
- 58-22 as starter, including 17-4 in 2012-13.
#4 Irene Gari (6-1, Freshman, G)
- Started 18 straight & played in every game with 25.1 mpg.
- Moved into starting line-up after Kristine Vitola sustained a season-ending injury against Arizona State (11/18/12).
- Scoreless (0-of-2 from floor) in 20 minutes at Tulane (2/7).
- 19 points (7-of-16 shooting) in 3 games before.
- 3-of-4 on free throws in the past 3 games
- 0-of-1 at charity stripe the prior 5 contests.
- 17 rebounds the past 4 tilts
- 3 boards total the 2 games before the surge on the glass.
- 0 turnovers at Tulane (2/7).
- 10 giveaways the previous 3 contests.
- 20, 28, 27,22 & 22 minutes played past 3 games.
- 30+ minutes in the previous 3 tilts.
- Named C-USA Freshman of Week on Dec. 10.
- First player in program history from Spain.
#5 Kayla Thornton (6-1, Junior, F)
- Started every game, earning second-most mpg (28.9).
- Leads team in double-doubles (6), scoring (15.0), & steals (36).
- 2nd in double-digit scoring games (16), rebounding (8.2) & offensive boards (62).
- 1 of 3 Miners with 50+ free throws (54-of-79).
- 9 points at Tulane (2/7).
- 10+ points in 11 consecutive games before.
- 7+ points in three other games.
- 4-of-13 (30.8) shooting in setback at Tulane (2/7).
- 16-of-36 (44.4) from floor 2 games before.
- 0-of-4 from distance at Tulane (2/7).
- 3-of-6 on three-pointers against SMU (2/3).
- 47.8% (86-of-180) on year in 2-point shots.
- 29.7% (30-of-101) on season in 3-point tries.
- 2-of-5 on free throws past 3 games.
- 15-of-16 at charity stripe prior 4 contests.
- 17 steals past 8 games.
- 8 thefts total in the 9 games before surge.
- 30+ minutes in 6 of past 8 games.
- 30+ minutes 4 times over first 13 tilts.
- 52-14 as starter, including 17-4 in 2012-13.
- C-USA Co-Player of the Week on 12/17/12.
- 2012 Junkanoo Jam MVP (16 ppg, 8.0 rpg).
- 2012-13 preseason All-C-USA team.
- 2012 2nd-team All C-USA (9.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg).
#10 Syerra Davis (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- Played in every game as reserve, earning 10.5 mpg.
- 1 of 3 Miners with +assist/turnover ratio (1.4).
- 14 minutes of playing time past 2 games.
- 4 minutes combined of action in previous 2 tilts.
- 5+ minutes in the first 17 games, with 9 of 10+.
- Hit only three-point try at Tulsa (1/9).
- 0-of-8 from distance in other games.
- 13 points (6-of-11) vs. LMU (11/10) & vs. TSU (12/1).
- 10 points (4-24) in other 19 games.
- 6 assists combined at Tulsa (1/9) & vs. East Carolina (1/13).
- 7 total helpers in other 19 contests.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#12 Anete Steinberga (6-2, Senior, C)
- Lone healthy senior & has started every game.
- 12 straight & team-high 18 games of 10+ points.
- Previously long stretch in career was 6 in a row (twice).
- 2nd in scoring (14.0) & 3rd in rebounding (6.5).
- Paces team in free-throws made (66) & 2nd in attempts (90).
- 1 of 3 Miners with 60+ offensive boards (60).
- 2 points in opener vs. LMU (11/10).
- 8+ points in each game since.
- 5+ boards in 7 straight games, with 3 10+ & another of 9.
- All 4 double-doubles on year have come in past 6 contests.
- 10 assists, including career-high 5 vs. SMU (2/3), past 3 games.
- 9 helpers total the 8 contests before.
- 3-of-13 (23.1) from floor at Tulane (2/7).
- 26-of-56 (46.4) shooting the previous 4 contests.
- 8-of-10 on free throws at Tulane (2/7), season highs for both.
- 4-of-9 at the charity stripe the previous 4 contests.
- 4-of-9 (44.4) on free throws past 4 games.
- 3+ fouls in 8 straight tilts, with four or more in half of games.
- Committed 2 fouls vs. SHSU (12/28) & 1 against UTPA (12/30).
- 30+ minutes in 4 straight & 9 times total on year.
- 2 such contests in 2011-12.
- C-USA Player of the Week on 1/14/12.
- 2010, 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#14 Marissa Rodriguez (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- 19 minutes in 5 games of action.
- Career-high 5 points vs. ENMU (12/8).
- 2 of 3 shots made have been three pointers.
- 3 of 4 shots tried from beyond the arc.
- 3 pointer vs. NM State (12/5) for first career points.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Medal Recipient.
- Recipient of 2012 C-USA Academic Medal.
- Walk-on who grew up in El Paso.
- Attended HS in San Antonio before returning.
#20 Diamond Posey (5-7, Freshman, G)
- 37 minutes in 7 games in non-conference play.
- Has not played since the start of C-USA action.
- All 11 points scored in her most-recent 3 appearances.
- 3-of-7 from floor in those games.
- Scoreless & 0-of-5 from floor previously.
- 8 of 12 field-goal attempts have been treys.
- Ranked as No. 106 guard in country & assessed a grade of 87 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#21 Saidah Zuberi Allen (5-11, Freshman, F/G)
- Played in every game, earning 13.5 mpg.
- Suffered knee injury after just 2 minutes of action at Tulane (2/7).
- Did not register a stat in the game.
- 12 points total & 6-of-11 shooting the three games .
- 1 of 4 Miners with 40+ offensive boards (40).
- 2 boards against Tulsa (1/31) & 4 vs. SMU (2/3).
- 5+ rebounds 10 prior tilts, with 71 total (7.1 rpg) in stretch.
- 1-of-5 on free throws the past 8 games.
- 18-of-31 at the line the 8 tilts before dry spell.
- 0-2 from charity stripe in the first 5 contests of the campaign.
- 10+ minutes in 13 of past 15 games.
- 1 game of 10+ minutes in the first 6.
- Sat out 2011-12 season with injury at Fresno St.
- Transferred & ruled eligible to play immediately.
#32 Chrishauna Parker (5-10, Sophomore, G)
- Started every game & paces team in assists per game (4.0), FG% (51.1), free-throw attempts (101), offensive boards (73) & rebounding (8.8).
- Amy Pack (9.4, 2000-01) was last Miner with at least 9.0 rpg.
- No Miner has ever finished with +4.0 apg & 9.0 rpg.
- 2nd in double-doubles (4) & free throws (62). 3rd in scoring (9.6).
- Lone Miner with 5+ boards in every game.
- 3+ offensive boards in 12 of past 14 & 16 contests total on year.
- 7 points total while hitting 2-of-9 from floor past 2 games.
- 27 points on 10-of-16 shooting the prior 3 contests.
- 9 games with 5+ assists.
- Never had more than 3 assists last year.
- 5+ free throw attempts in 8 games.
- 3 games with 10+ free throw attempts.
- 24-5 as starter, including 17-4 in 2012-13.
#34 Destinee LaFountain (6-1, Junior, F)
- Played in all 21 games as center, earning reserve-high 13.7 mpg.
- Team-high 17 blocked shots.
- 8 points (4-of-8 from floor) in past 2 games.
- 9 points (2-of-17 shooting) the previous 7 contests.
- 3+ boards in 4 straight games for first time of her career.
- 0 rebounds in 12 minutes of action at Rice (1/24) before surge.
- Hit 3 of her past 6 free throws attempted.
- 5-of-19 at charity stripe before recent stretch.
- 3-of-6 at the line in the season opener vs. LMU (11/10).
- Joined UTEP from Ventura College.
- Earned Honorable-Mention All-America Honors.
IT’S A MONTH THING
- Winning record in 3 of 5 months under Keitha Adams.
- December (53-25) is the top month, followed by November (38-22) & January (55-38).
- 20-4 combined in January & February of 2012 & 2013.
STAT LOVERS’ LANE
- Hit at least 2 three pointer in program-best 220 straight games.
- Last game without a trey was Dec. 30, 2005.
- Hit 1 in all but 4 games under Keitha Adams.
- 7-1 on year & 118-14 with 70+ pts under Adams.
- 9-1 on year & 107-17 past 124 games when making 40.5 percent or better from floor.
- 5-1 on year & 76-18 under Adams +40.0% on 3s.
- 14-3 on year & 129-46 under Adams winning boards.
- 62-15 in past 77 games when doing so.
- 3-0 on year & 59-2 under Adams with 20+ assists.
- 6-0 this year & 71-12 under Adams when more turnovers forced than field-goals made by the opposition.
- 52-3 in that area since the start of the 2006-07 campaign.
- 57-14 past 71 games making 70% on free throws (min. 10 free throws made), but just 4-3 in area this year.
- Oddly enough, 6-1 on year & 31-13 since 2006-07 when falling shy of 61 percent at the line (min. 10 free-throw attempts).
Anete Steinberga (Senior)
- 17th on UTEP scoring list (817).
- Teammate Kayla Thornton is 16th (841)
- Lenore Dembs (1983-85) is 15th (849).
- 47 10+ point games most of any active Miners.
- 8th at UTEP for career field-goal% (45.1).
- UTEP has won 78 games since Steinberga & the now injured Kristine Vitola arrived on campus in 2009.
- Tied for 4th with Sviatlana Trukshanina (2007-11).
- Started 76 games to place tied for 9th at UTEP.
- Closing in on 500+ rebounds (487).
Kayla Thornton (Junior)
- 1 of 4 Miners in school history with at least 800 points (841), 100 steals (103) & 500 rebounds (581).
- 5th for rebounds (581) & ninth for average (3.0)
- Izabela Piekarska (2004-08) ranks fourth on the list (651).
- 16th for total points (841).
- Lenore Dembs (1983-85) is 15th (849).
- 18th at school for steals (102).
- Chris Hall (1985-89) holds 17th place (106).
- 14 double doubles ranks 5th at school.
- Dragana Zoric (2001-03) is 4th with 18.
- 10th at UTEP for career field-goal% (44.1).
Kelli Willingham (Junior)
- Recently became 27th Miner all time with 700+ points (723).
- On track to reaching 300+ assists (284).
- Would be 3rd Miner Jareica Hughes (2006-09) & Ana Valtierra (2002-07) to achieve both feats.
- Fifth at UTEP for three pointers made (132).
- Kasia Krezel (2004-08) is 4th (138).
- Also fifth for triples attempted (364).
- Fourth place held by Hughes. (430).
- 6th at UTEP for career starts (79).
- Dietra Caldwell (2008-11) is 5th (81).
- 11th all time for minutes played (2,538).
- Christina Mata (1999-01) is 10th (2,569).
- 80.4 free-throw % (min. 100 made) is 2nd.
TAKING OUT POWER SCHOOLS
- 3 wins against members of power conferences.
- UTEP downed Pacific 12 members Arizona State (60-54, 11/18/12) & Arizona (64-53, 11/23/12) while also toppling Kansas State on the road (52-50, 12/16/12).
- 6-35 all time in such games, including 3-0 this year.
- 4 of the wins during the Keitha Adams era.
- UTEP beat Nebraska (Big 12, 63-53, 12/20/08).
- Before Adams, UTEP beat Kansas State (Big 8, 67-61, 12/6/96) & Arizona (66-46, Pac 10, 11/20/80).
THIS & THAT
- Winning mark at 10 (9-1), 15 (14-1) & 20 (17-3) games.
- School-record 9th straight season of winning mark at 15 tilts.
- Prior school standards was four.
- Program-record 8th straight winning mark at 20 games.
- Previous record was six consecutive campaigns.
- 4 in row & 6 total under Keitha Adams of +.500 at 10 games.
- 2nd straight & 3rd overall start of at least 5-0 on the year.
- Longest win streak to start year is 10 (2011-12).
- Previously never had back-to-back 3-0 starts.
SUCCESS GALORE IN NON CONFERENCE
- Most wins (12) before league play by UTEP team.
- Prior school standard was 11.
- 11-2 entering C-USA play last year & 11-1 at juncture in 2006-07.
- 99-57 in non-league play under Keitha Adams.
- School-record 8 straight seasons of .500 or better out of league.
- 75-33 in timeframe, including 23-4 past 2 years.
- The prior record was four (1994-95 to 1997-98).
- 29-4 to set both the school (men’s) & Conference USA single-season record for wins. 4 losses were by a combined 15 points.
- Won both the 2012 Conference USA regular-season & tournament title championship.
- 1st tourney title at school & 2nd regular-season crown.
- Fell to #11/12 Penn State (85-77) in first round of NCAA Tourney.
- Finished 15-1 in C-USA play, with .938 winning percentage rating third all time in the league.
- Program-best 10-0 start to the year. Also had 15-game win streak.
- Other single-season records set include blocked shots (197), games played (33), rebounding margin (+9.5), scoring defense (54.2), scoring margin (13.4), double-digit wins (21), road wins (11), wins by at 20+ points & overall wins (29).
- Led C-USA in attendance average (2,639), blocked shots (6.0), field-goal percentage (40.8), field-goal percentage defense (33.6), free-throw percentage (69.7), RPI (49), rebounding margin (6.0), scoring margin (+13.4), three-point percentage defense (24.5)
- Received votes for the top-25 the final nine weeks of the season.
- Gloria Brown was voted first-team All C-USA, a member of the all-defensive team, named the Sixth Player of the Year and voted as the 2012 C-USA Tournament Champion MVP.
- Kayla Thornton was a 2nd-team All C-USA member & voted to all-tournament team.
- Keitha Adams was tabbed C-USA Coach of the Year.
- Kelli Willingham was voted to the C-USA Academic All Conference Team.
- More than 2,000 fans in 9 of the final 10 games and a single-season best 11 times overall.
- Final five games all had more than 4,000 fans, also a program best.
- Averaged 4,243 fans during the eight C-USA home games.
ALL ABOUT THE FANS
- All four non-conference home games of 3,000+ fans at school have been under Keitha Adams.
- Topped 3,000 in back-to-back non conference contests (UNM, SHSU) for first time at school.
- 20 of the 26 home games in school history with 3,000+ fans occurred during Adams’ tenure.
- 20-7 all time in such contests, including 17-4 under Adams.
UTEP Home Games With 3,000+ Fans
No. Crowd Foe Score Date
1. 7,255 SMU* W, 76-63 2/28/08
2. 7,212 Memphis* W, 80-58 2/10/07
3. 7,103 BYU* L, 57-61 2/22/93
4. 7,003 ECU* W, 81-53 2/10/08
5. 6,532 SMU* W, 68-50 2/23/12
6. 6,421 Rice* L, 48-52 2/26/12
7. 5,513 Houston* W, 80-55 2/14/08
8. 5,093 Tulsa* W, 65-50 3/1/08
9. 4,682 UNLV* W, 73-58 2/10/98
10. 4,536 Tulane* W, 80-65 2/12/12
11. 4,167 Marshall* W, 64-58 2/9/12
12. 4,069 TCU* W, 79-76 2/22/01
13. 4,029 UCF* W, 67-38 1/29/12
14. 4,007 Tulsa* W, 50-35 1/31/13
15. 3,781 UAB* L, 57-61 1/20/13
16. 3,726 Hawaii* L, 36-65 2/3/00
17. 3,646 Houston* W, 74-67 1/11/09
18. 3,497 Rice* W, 65-52 1/5/07
19. 3,450 UNM W, 64-62 12/20/10
20. 3,273 NM State L, 60-61 12/7/02
21. 3,215 Fresno St.* L, 62-78 2/14/02
22. 3,173 San Diego St.* W, 70-59 1/22/93
23. 3,107 Fresno State* W, 45-38 2/12/04
24. 3,104 Wyoming* L, 64-66 3/6/93
25. 3,102 SHSU W, 85-66 12/28/12
26. 3,091 New Mexico W, 60-45 12/20/12
27. 3,052 Memphis* W, 66-60 1/8/12
denotes Adams era
* denotes league contest
CLIFFSNOTES ON 2012-13 CAMPAIGN
SMU 83, at UTEP 72 (2/3/13)
- Connected on 42.4% (28-of-66) from floor, including 8-20 on 3s.
- Won boards (41-38) but SMU had too much firepower.
- 3 SMU players combined for 63 points.
- SMU led 38-34 at half & eventually at 68-50 with 8:26 to play.
- UTEP used 13-2 run to trim deficit to 7 but couldn’t finish rally.
- Chrishauna Parker had game-high 11 boards & five assists.
at UTEP 50, Tulsa 35 (1/31/13)
- UTEP used swarming defense and an offensive outburst in the second half to storm past Tulsa, 50-35, in front of a season-best 4,006 fans at the Don Haskins Center Jan. 31.
- Tulsa was held to the lowest field-goal percentage (20.6) and fewest points (35) by a conference opponent in UTEP history.
- First double-digit win for UTEP when scoring 50 or fewer points.
- TU led 22-17 with 17:31 to play before 18-2 UTEP run.
- Kayla Thornton scored 16 points & had eight rebounds.
- Anete Steinberga (13 points & 10 rebounds) had a double-double
- Chrishauna Parker scored seven points, grabbed a career-best 15 rebounds while posting four assist & three steals.
UTEP 65, at Houston 54 (1/24/13)
- Buoyed by Anete Steinberga’s double-double (20 points, 12 rebounds) and a sizzling second half of shooting, UTEP soared to a 65-54 road conquest of Houston on Jan. 27.
- There were four ties & 11 lead changes, with UTEP using 11-2 run to grab 50-43 edge & it never relinquished it.
- Shot 58.7 (17-of-29) after the break.
- Owned the boards, with a +19 margin (50-31).
- UH shot 28.1 % (16-of-57), including 24.0% on threes (6-of-24).
- Chrishauna Parker flirted with a triple double (8 points, 10 rebounds & 7 assists).
UTEP 49, at Rice (1/24/13)
- Anete Steinberga banked home a lay-up with 10 seconds to play to propel UTEP to a 49-48 win at Rice Jan. 24.
- The Owls had a chance to pull out the victory but a quality Miners’ (15-2, 3-1 C-USA) double team forced Jessica Kuster, who finished with a game-high 21 points, to give it up and the shot by Christal Porter rimmed out as time expired.
- Parker had a huge impact on the eventual game-winning bucket, coming up with a loose ball to save the possession before Irene Gari used a beautiful lob pass to find Steinberga.
- Used 18-0 run to build a 14-point lead in the first half, finished the game at 33.3 (19-of-57) percent from the floor.
- Made 75% (9-of-12) on free throws & had 12 turnovers.
- Rice was held to 36.4 percent (20-of-55) from the floor.
UAB 61, at UTEP 57 (1/20/13)
- Blazers closed game on 13-4 push.
- Chrishauna Parker buoyed Steinberga and Thornton with nine points and 12 boards.
- Kelli Willingham chipped in eight, but no other Miner finished with more than four points.
- Miners were searching for 1st 15-1 start to year.
- UTEP outrebounded UAB, 57-33, the largest margin in a loss.
at UTEP 81, East Carolina 66 (1/9/13)
- Five different Miners reached double figures in scoring, & UTEP used a huge second half to beat East Carolina, 81-66, at home on Jan. 13.
- Outscored ECU, 54-31, in the second half.
- 54 points are 7th in the 2nd half of a game in program annals.
- The Pirates led by five (48-43) before a 10-0 UTEP run provided the first & only lead change.
- Kelli Willingham scored 8 points in run & finished with 15.
- Gari and Parker flirted with a double-double by grabbing nine rebounds apiece.
- Fourth straight win in league home opener.
- Won six of the past seven contests in situation.
- Moved to 9-3 in them under Keitha Adams & 16-16 overall in program history.
UTEP 71, at Tulsa 64 (1/9/13)
- Kayla Thornton posted her fifth double-double of the season (23 points & 12 boards) and Anete Steinberga navigated through foul trouble to add 18 as UTEP toppled Tulsa, 71-64, on the road in the Conference USA opener for both squads on Jan. 9.
- Thornton scored 16 points in the first half, including drilling 1 of her 5 three pointers in game as time expired, to give UTEP a 5-point lead (32-27) at the break).
- Advantage swelled to 12 & UTEP withstood several charges.
- Kelli Willingham had career-high nine boards.
- UTEP won its fourth straight league opener.
- It improved to 6-2 in them since joining C-USA.
at UTEP 83, UTPA 56 (12/30/12)
- Kayla Thornton (15 points & 14 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (17 points & 12 rebounds) both registered double-doubles, and UTEP ran its unbeaten streak to seven with an 83-56 victory against UTPA on Dec. 30.
- Never trailed & used 18-4 run early in 2nd half to blow it open.
- Hit on 40.3 percent from floor & finished with 18 assists.
- Parker set the scoring tone with a game-high and career-best 17 points while also adding four helpers. She was 9-of-10 at line.
- Saidah Zuberi Allen came off the bench to tally a career-best 12 points while also grabbing eight rebounds.
- Anete Steinberga finished with the identical stat line.
at UTEP 85, Sam Houston 66 (12/28/12)
- Anete Steinberga scored a season-high 23 points, Kayla Thornton added 17 and Chrishauna Parker posted her third career double-double to help UTEP soar past Sam Houston State, 85-66, in front of a then season-best 3,102 fans Dec. 28.
- Used 23-8 run to take control of game after falling behind 5-0.
- Led 44-25 at the half & never was threatened down the stretch.
- Parker had 15 points, then career-best 14 boards & 7 assists.
- UTEP had 6 turnovers to tie as 4th fewest in single game.
- Bearkats held to 33.3 percent from floor.
- The school-record-tying four-game streak of foes being held to 50 points or less was halted.
at UTEP 60, New Mexico 45 (12/20/12)
- Kayla Thornton poured in 22 points while Irene Gari (11 points) and Anete Steinberga (10 points) also reached double figures as UTEP topped New Mexico, 60-45, in front of a then season-best 3,091 fans at the Don Haskins Center Dec. 20.
- The Miners led wire-to-wire.
- Forced 20 turnovers-which led to 22 points, & UNM shot 35.7%.
- UTEP made 20-of-29 free throws.
- UNM was 1-of-3 at the line, which ties as the fewest makes & attempts by foe in school history.
UTEP 52, at Kansas State 50 (12/16/12)
- Trailing by 10 (48-38) with 5:27 to play, UTEP dug deep and finished the game on a 14-2 run to topple previously unbeaten Kansas State, 52-50, at Bramlage Coliseum on Dec. 16.
- Improved to 3-0 this year against power conference schools.
- KSU fell to 100-10 in non-league home games the past 17 years.
- Held KSU to 29.2 percent (19-of-65) from the floor.
at UTEP 71, Eastern New Mexico 34 (12/8/12)
- UTEP dismantling Eastern New Mexico, 71-34, to push its winning streak to three on Dec. 8.
- The Miners, who never trailed in the contest, led the Division II Zias by 25 at the break (43-18) and were up by at least 30 for the final six minutes of action.
- All 10 players who saw action scored, with freshman Irene Gari keying the charge by reaching double figures (14 points) for the second straight game.
at UTEP 66, NM State 44 (12/5/12)
- Buoyed by freshman Irene Gari’s career-high 19 points and stifling defense, UTEP pounded I-10 rival NM State, 66-44, at home Dec. 5.
- The game was tied 4-4 before UTEP closed the half on a 31-6 surge, which was started by a 13-0 run.
- NM State finished with the third-lowest field-goal percentage by an opponent (20.9) in program history.
- It connected on just 2-of-17 in the first half (11.8 percent).
- Aggies scored 24 of 44 points in game on free throws.
- UTEP nailed eight three pointers to nearly match its sum (nine) from the prior three contests.
at UTEP 88, Texas State 81 (12/1/12)
- Thornton also grabbed 11 boards to secure her second double-double this year & 10th of her career.
- Trailed,46-41, at the half before a big second half.
- The game featured seven lead changes and 10 ties before a 7-0 run by UTEP in the final minute.
- Chrishauna Parker started it with a lay-up off an offensive rebound before Kelli Willingham drilled the Miners’ lone three pointer of the night with 28 seconds left. Thornton capped the surge, while also essentially icing the game, by sinking two free throws with 11 seconds to play.
at NM State 69, UTEP 68 (11/28/12)
- UTEP sustained its first loss of the season after being edged at NM State, 69-68, Nov. 28. The Aggies never led by more than one point in the game.
- There were five lead changes in the final 1:21, with the last one being after two made free throws by NM State’s Daneshia Williamson with 12 seconds left. UTEP pushed the ball up the court but couldn’t get a shot off in time.
- After connecting on a combined 55.2 percent (69-125) from the free-throw line the first five games, UTEP nailed 17-of-19 (89.5).
- Thornton set a career high for rebounds (15) while Gari established one for points (seven).
UTEP 64, vs. Arizona 53 (11/23/12)
- UTEP wrapped a 17-point run around the intermission and pulled away to a 64-53 victory against Arizona to win the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 23.
- Anete Steinberga led four players in double figures with 18 points. Kayla Thornton (10 points, 10 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (10 points, 11 rebounds) each had double-doubles and Kelli Willingham added 11 points to help the Miners to their second victory against a Pacific-12 team in a week.
- It marked the first career double-double for Parker.
UTEP 61, vs. Texas Southern 52 (11/22/12)
- UTEP rode a big second half to post a 61-52 win vs. Texas Southern at its first game of the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 22.
- Outscored the Tigers 38-22 in the second half to make a 30-23 halftime deficit a distant memory.
at UTEP 60, Arizona State 54 (11/18/12)
- Sophomore Chrishauna Parker scored 15 points, senior Anete Steinberga added 14, and UTEP defended with tenacity in an emotional 60-54 victory against traditional Pacific-12 power Arizona State at the Don Haskins Center Nov. 18.
- The back-and-forth game featured 10 ties and 15 lead changes. UTEP outscored ASU, 33-26, in the second half, including a key 5-0 run to break a 45-45 deadlock with 4:35 left.
- Connected on 25-of-39 at the free-throw line, including going 10-of-12 in the final four minutes of the tilt.
- Parker led the charge in that department by making 9-of-12, both career highs. Kelli Willingham was perfect (4-4) at the line while Steinberga drilled four as well.
- Willingham dished out four assists, but more importantly had just one turnover despite facing a full-court press from ASU for the majority of the contest.
- UTEP held ASU to 33.9 percent (19-of-56) while also forcing 18 turnovers that led to 22 points.
- Marring the win was Kristine Vitola sustaining torn ACL.
at UTEP 67, HBU 58 (11/16/12)
- The Huskies hung around for a bit before the Miners blew the visitors out of the water with a game-changing 19-6 run spanning about seven minutes in the second half.
- The surge afforded UTEP a 56-41 lead with 8:10 to play, and HBU never got closer than seven down the stretch.
at UTEP 79, LMU 51 (11/10/12)
- Kristine Vitola notched her first career-double double (21 points, 12 rebounds) to help UTEP pound Loyola Marymount.
- In addition to it being the initial double-double since joining the Orange and Blue, Vitola also set career standards for points (21) and boards (12). She hit on 10-of-11 free throws, also personal bests. She made 5-of-7 shots from the floor, including 1-of-2 from beyond-the-arc.
- UTEP opened up on a 15-0 run, with 10 points by Thornton.
- The prior best run to start a season under Keitha Adams was 7-0 in 2006-07.
- The 28-point margin of victory was the largest in a season opener vs. D1 foe in program history. The prior standard was 19 (68-49 vs. Northern Arizona, 11/20/05).
- The Miners improved to 7-5 in campaign lidlifters under head coach Keitha Adams, including 6-2 when starting the year at home.
- UTEP moved to 26-13 in home openers, helped by an effort of 9-3 under Adams.
- UTEP is now 20-19 all time in season openers, including 17-6 in El Paso.
at UTEP 69, St. Mary’s 60 (11/3/12)
- The Miners led for most of the game, and were up by 17 (61-44) with five minutes to play.
- Marring the victory was sophomore Jenzel Nash suffering a season-ending torn ACL.
The Last Meeting
March 8, 2012