UTEP To Open Two-Game Homestand Vs. Tulsa Thursday
Jan. 31, 2013
THE OPENING ACT
- UTEP will play the first of two home games on the week when it challenges Tulsa at 7:05 p.m. MST Thursday.
- Tickets are $5 for adults & $3 for kids.
- The Miners (16-2, 4-1 C-USA) were 2-0 on the road last week.
- Beat Rice (49-48, 1/24) & Houston (65-54, 1/27).
- Keitha Adams reached 200 wins at UTEP as result.
- Overall she has 327 collegiate victories (127 at Independence CC).
- The Golden Hurricane (7-12, 2-4 C-USA) are 2-2 in past 4 games.
- TU beat UCF (54-51, 1/24) & fell to SMU (46-71, 1/27) last week.
- UTEP is 10-1 at home, including 1-1 in C-USA play.
- Last lost consecutive home contests in 2009-10 season.
- 16-2 record for fourth time in program history.
- 2006-07, 2007-08 & 2011-12 also did so.
- 2007-08 improved to 27-2 & finished 28-4.
- 2011-12 moved to 25-2 & finished 29-4
- 2006-07 climbed to 16-2 & finished 22-8.
- Off to start of at least 4-1 in league play for 7th time at school.
- 2007-08 (16-0), 2011-12 (15-1), 1992-93 (6-1), 1997-98 (5-1), 2008-09 (4-1), 2006-07 (4-1) were at least 4-1.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Six straight weeks receiving votes in the polls.
- 27th in Associated Press (21 points) & 30th in Coaches (16 points).
- Rated fourth in ESPN.com Midmajor poll.
- Stand 52nd in the RPI (RPIRatings.com).
- Record of 3-0 on year vs. top-100 RPI foes.
- Best overall win% (67.8) of C-USA teams since joining in 2005-06.
- 159-75 overall record, including 16-2 this year, in timeframe.
- Most league wins & best league win% of each team since 2005-06.
- 71-41 (.634) including 4-1 on year, in C-USA play.
- Tied for most years (4) with 10+ C-USA wins since 2005-06.
- Four C-USA weekly award recipients.
QUITE A RUN
- 45-6 since start of the 2011-12 season, including 16-2 this year.
- 30 wins, including 7 this year, by 10+ points.
- 6 losses by combined 20 points, with 2 losses this year by 5 total.
- 19-2 in C-USA games since 2011-12, including 4-1 this season.
- 61-20 overall since the start of 2010-11 campaign.
- 18 of 20 losses in that timeframe by single digits.
- Last double-digit loss was at Houston (61-77, 2/20/11).
- Other in sequence was at UCSB (50-68, 12/11/10).
UTEP & THE STAT RANKINGS
- UTEP has top-3 rank in 7 of 14 major stat categories (chart, pg. 1).
- Miners pace league in 4 categories.
- Kayla Thornton is in top 10 for scoring (15.1 ppg-7th) & rebounding (8.3-7th).
- Anete Steinberga is 10th in FG percentage (43.8) & scoring (14.1) while rating 17th in rebounding (6.3).
- Chrishauna Parker is 2nd in FG percentage (52.9), 5th in rebounding (8.5) & 6th in assists (4.1).
INSIDE THE SERIES
- UTEP leads the series, 19-10, including 71-64 win at TU (1/9).
- The Miners have won 13 in a row vs. TU & 15 of the past 18.
- Tulsa claimed seven of the first nine meetings.
GOING BACK IN TIME
UTEP 65, at Houston 54 (1/24/13)
- The Miners have won 13 in a row vs. TU & 15 of the past 18.
-Buoyed by Anete Steinberga’s double-double (20 points, 12 rebounds) and a sizzling second half of shooting, UTEP soared to a 65-54 road conquest of Houston on Jan. 27.
- There were four ties & 11 lead changes, with UTEP using 11-2 run to grab 50-43 edge & it never relinquished it.
- Shot 58.7 (17-of-29) after the break.
- Owned the boards, with a +19 margin (50-31).
- UH shot 28.1 % (16-of-57), including 24.0% on threes (6-of-24).
- Chrishauna Parker flirted with a triple double (8 points, 10 rebounds & 7 assists).
GETTING TO KNOW TULSA
- Tulsa is 7-12 overall, including 2-6 on the road.
- Tumbled out of gates at 0-5 before winning three straight.
- Went 2-5 after win streak but is 2-2 since that point.
- Taleya Mayberry leads TU & is 2nd in C-USA in scoring (18.7 ppg).
- She tops team in assists (78) steals (49) & free throws made & attempted (101-of-124).
- 2 other players produce at least 8.5 ppg.
- 2 TU players have least 8.0 rpg but no one else more than 4.5.
- 6-2 when leading at half & 4-1 shooting at least 40% from floor.
- 1-11 when opponent has better field-goal percentage.
- 7-3 when keeping foes to less than 65 points.
- Private university located in Tulsa, Okla.
- Founded in 1882 as the Presbyterian School for Indian Girls.
- Notable alumni include Peter Frey (2008 Silver Medalist in target shooting), Hank Haney (highly-regarded golf coach) & the late Gordon Matthews (pioneer of voice mail technology).
- The late Paul Harvey (American broadcaster) and Phillip McGraw-AKA Dr. Phil (TV personality) both attended the school but neither earned degrees.
RUNDOWN ON THE 2012-13 MINERS
- Vitola was off to a tremendous start, leading the Miners in field-goal percentage (.600), rebounding (8.3) and scoring (16.0).
- Nash had 5.1 ppg in 11.9 mpg in promising freshman year.
- 1 healthy senior after Vitola’s injury.
- Miners had largest senior class (7) a year ago.
- Six newcomers are in mix with four true freshmen (Irene Gari, G, Jamie Madden, G, Diamond Posey, G, & Cameasha Turner), a freshman transfer Saidah Zuberi Allen (G/F) & a junior-college transfer Destinee LaFountain (F).
- Freshman F Tommitrise Collins will redshirt.
- Picked 2nd in the 2012-13 Conference USA Preseason Poll.
-Tulane was tabbed as the favorite to win the league.
TOUGH TO REPLACE
- Graduated biggest class (7) in program history.
- Headlining that group was 2012 C-USA Tournament MVP & second-team all C-USA honoree Gloria Brown, who paced the Miners in blocked shots (97), free throws made (102), attempted (125), percentage (.816), field-goal percentage (.527), points per game (12.1) and rebounds per contest (8.8). A reserve, she repeated as the C-USA 6th Player of the Year.
- Kim Smith (2.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.8 apg) & Erika Warren (5.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg) both started last year while Baiba Eglite (1.6 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.4 apg), Briana Green (2.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg & 1.1 apg), Whitney Houston (1.4 ppg, 0.1 rpg, 0.5 apg) & Melisa Mendes (4.1 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.7 apg) came off bench.
THE BASIC FACTS ON UTEP
- 463-588 since program started (1974-75) including 16-2 this year
- Won 3 league titles, including claiming both the 2012 C-USA regular season & tournament championship (29-4 final mark).
- First league crown was in 2007-08.
- Became first C-USA women’s team to go 16-0 in league play.
- Finished 28-4 overall 2007-08, helped by school & C-USA setting 23-game winning streak.
- Appeared in two NCAA Tournaments, forging a mark of 1-2.
- Advanced to second round in 2008.
- Secured Conference USA’s automatic bid last year but derailed by national power (11/12) Penn State, 85-77, in the first round.
- Will celebrate its 100th year as a school in 2014.
- Notable alumni include former ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Sam Donaldson, well-respected NFL referee Ed Hochuli, former NASA astronaut Danny Olivas engineer & Dennis Poon, who designed Taipei 101 & some of the tallest buildings in the world.
THE ADAMS FILE
- Keitha Adams is 200-149 in 12th year at UTEP.
- Is program’s all-time win leader.
- 327-186 overall mark as 17 years as collegiate head coach.
- 1 of 5 active C-USA women’s basketball coaches with 300+ wins.
- All 3 20+ win seasons & 4 of 5 with 18+ wins at UTEP under Adams.
- Produced 7 straight & 8 total seasons with 16+ wins.
- Feat achieved three times in 27 years prior.
- All 3 league championships at school during her tenure.
- Same goes for both NCAA Tournament bids.
- 185-107 record past 10 years, including 16-2 in 2012-13.
- 115-155 was best record for 10-year stretch before her arrival.
- Led UTEP to 11-7 mark on national TV games.
- Earned votes in top-25 poll in 5 years, including 2012-13.
- Never achieved feat before Adams’ era.
- Nationally ranked for final six weeks of 07-08.
- 12 of 18 individual career record holders at UTEP played for Adams.
- Coached 15 players who have gone on to play professionally.
- Impacted the international game at the highest level, with Noni Wharemate representing New Zealand at ‘08 Olympic Games.
- Every player who has exhausted her eligibility at UTEP during her tenure has graduated.
HOME SWEET HOME
- Home record of 127-52 in Keitha Adams era.
- 92-20 since 2006-07, including 10-1 this year.
- 57-27 was the best 7-year record before Adams.
- 25-3 over past 28 home games.
- 3 losses by combined seven points.
- 7th straight year with 10+ home victories.
- Prior six featured at least 12.
- Four 10+ win seasons in 27 years before Adams.
- Only one of four (12-1, 1988-89) reached 12.
- 126-40 since starting streak in 2002-03.
- Overall road mark of 53-85 under Keitha Adams.
- 39-33 since 2006-07, including 4-1 this year.
- 25-57 was the best seven-year record before Adams.
- 16-2 over past 18 road contests.
- Won school-record 12 consecutive C-USA road tilts.
- Previous mark was 9 (2006-07 through 2007-08)
Two winning road seasons under Adams.
- Never happened in first 27 years of program.
- Twice finished at .500 during Adams’ tenure.
- Only occurred a pair of times before her.
- 65 points at Houston (1/27), including 44 in the second half.
- 57 vs. UAB (1/20) & 49 at Rice (1/24).
- 3 starters with +10.0 ppg. with 2 better than 14.0
- 2 others at 8.7 & 6.1 ppg.
- No reserve contributing more than 4.0 ppg.
- 23 points from bench (13 at Houston, 1/27) & 10 at Rice (1/24).
- 6 points (2/4) total by reserves in previous 2 contests.
- 8-of-13 (61.3%) on free throws at Houston (1/27).
- Was above 70% on free throws 5 of past 6 games.
- Achieved twice first 11 contests on the year.
- 122-of-156 (78.2) in free throws in 7 games +70%.
- 141-of-243 (58.0) at the line in other 11 contests.
- 10+ offensive boards in 17 of 18 tilts.
- 8 offensive rebounds at Rice (1/24).
- Season-high 22 turnovers at Houston (1/27).
- 13 or fewer giveaways in previous 3 games.
- More turnovers than foes in 4 games (3-1).
- 15 helpers at Houston (1/27).
- 17 assists combined prior 2 games.
- 17+ helpers in 4 consecutive games before the dry spell.
- 4th time in school history of such a streak.
- 2005-06 & 2007-08 (4 games) 2006-07 (5 games).
- Scored 80+ points vs. both SHSU & UTPA.
- First time with 80+ points in consecutive games vs. D1 foes since 2005-06 (85, at N. Colo., 12/13 & 83 vs. Ill. St. 12/18).
- Had 20+ offensive boards vs. SHSU & UTPA.
- Feat hadn’t been achieved since 2006-07.
- Prevented 12 foes from cracking 60 points.
- Only Texas State (81, 12/1) has scored 70+ points.
- Held Rice (1/24) to 48 points & Houston (1/27) to 54 points.
- 4 of 5 previous team had 60+ points.
- Happened twice in first 11 contests.
- 14 foes held to less than 36% from floor.
- Past 2 teams finished at 25.6 (10-of-39) from 3-pt range.
- UAB nailed 40.0 percent (8-of-20) on treys.
- Forced at least 18 turnovers 10 times.
- 6 opponents have made at least 20.
- 4 straight foes with 15 or fewer turnovers.
- Prior 2 opponents had 18 & 23.
- 7+ steals in 4 of the past 6 games.
- Had 4 games with 7+ steals in first 12 tilts.
- Equaled a school record by holding four straight opponents to 50 points or less (12/5-12/20) before SHSU had 66 (12/28).
- The 1992-93 squad was the first to do so.
- Also streaks of 3 in a row of conceding 50 points or less in 1974-75, 1980-81, 2003-04 & 2011-12.
- Kept NM State (12/5) & ENMU (12/8) to less than 23%.
- 1st time in school history consecutive foes fell shy of figure.
- TSU (11/22) tied for 7th most turnovers by opponent with 33.
QUICK HITTERS ACROSS THE ROSTER
#1 Jamie Madden (5-8, Freshman, PG)
- Earning 7.6 minutes per game & has appeared in 10 contests.
- Set career bests for points (7) & minutes (18) at Houston (1/27).
- Nailed 4-of-7 for 9 points in 28 minutes total past 2 tilts.
- Was 3-of-13 & scored 12 points in first 8 appearances.
- Hit only three-point try at Houston (1/27).
- Was 0-of-7 in that area to start her career.
- 6-of-6 at the charity stripe.
- 2+ boards in 3 contests.
- Made debut at the Junkanoo Jam.
- Rated No. 103 point guard in nation by All Star Girls Report coming out of high school.
#2 Cameasha Turner (5-9, Freshman, G)
- One of nine Miners to earn +10.0 mpg (11.9).
- Had 2 minutes of playing time at Tulsa (1/9).
- Did not play in the next three league contests.
- 7+ minutes in each non-conference game.
- 11 points (4-of-9 shooting) in first three games.
- 15 points while hitting 5-of-28 since.
- 2+ rebounds six times.
- 1 offensive & 20 defensive rebounds.
- Rated as No. 74 point guard in country & assessed a grade of 86 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#3 Kelli Willingham (5-6, Junior, PG)
- Started every game & tops team in assist/turnover ratio (1.7), three pointers made (34) & minutes per game (31.9).
- One of four Miners with at least 8.5 ppg (8.7).
- Lone Miner with 5+ points in every game.
- 8 or more points in 11 contests.
- 7-of-19 on threes point shots the past 4 tilts.
- 5-of-13 on twos in that timeframe.
- 0-of-5 at Tulsa (1/9), her first game without a three.
- 11-of-15 on free throws the past 7 games.
- 10-of-13 at charity stripe the first 11 contests.
- 3 or more assists in 14 games.
- 1 assist vs. both Texas State (12/1) & NM State (12/5).
- Career-best 9 boards at Tulsa (1/9).
- 3 of them were offensive rebounds.
- 2 total offensive boards first 13 games of year.
- 7 games with 4+ rebounds. Had 5 such games in 2011-12.
- 30+ minutes in 9 straight & team-high 14 games.
- 2012 C-USA All-Academic Team member.
- 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Medal recipient.
- 57-20 as starter, including 16-2 in 2012-13.
#4 Irene Gari (6-1, Freshman, G)
- Started 15 straight & played in every game.
- Moved into starting line-up after Kristine Vitola sustained a season-ending injury against Arizona State (11/18/12).
- 5 points while hitting 2-of-4 shots (50.0%) at Houston (1/27).
- 4 points on 2-of-12 shooting previous 2 contests.
- 6 boards at Houston (1/27).
- 3 rebounds in the past 2 games.
- 22 minutes at both Rice (1/24) & Houston (1/27).
- 30+ minutes in the 3 previous tilts.
- Named C-USA Freshman of Week on Dec. 10.
- First player in program history from Spain.
#5 Kayla Thornton (6-1, Junior, F)
- Leads team in double-doubles (6), scoring (15.1), rebounding (8.3) & total steals (30).
- 2nd on team in offensive boards (53).
- 1 of 3 Miners with 50+ free throws (52-of-74).
- 9 straight & 14 double-figure scoring games on year.
- 7+ points in three other games.
- 6-of-21 (28.5%) overall from floor past 2 tilts.
- 7-of-17 (41.2%) from the field vs. UAB (1/20).
- 2-of-10 on three pointers in the past 2 contests.
- 4-of-9 from distance against UAB (1/20).
- 35-of-46 on free throws in past 9 contests.
- 17-of-28 in the first 9 games of the year.
- 9 steals past 4 games to equal sum from the prior 8.
- 30+ minutes in 4 of past 5 games.
- 30+ minutes 4 times over first 13 tilts.
- 51-12 as starter, including 16-2 in 2012-13.
- C-USA Co-Player of the Week on 12/17/12.
- 2012 Junkanoo Jam MVP (16 ppg, 8.0 rpg).
- 2012-13 preseason All-C-USA team.
- 2012 2nd-team All C-USA (9.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg).
#10 Syerra Davis (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- Played in every game, earning 11.1 mpg.
- 1 of 3 Miners with +assist/turnover ratio (1.5).
- Career-best 4 assists vs. East Carolina (1/13).
- 2 minutes of action at Houston (1/27).
- 5+ minutes in the first 17 games, with 9 of 10+.
- Hit only three-point try at Tulsa (1/9).
- 0-of-8 from distance in other games.
- 13 points (6-of-11) vs. LMU (11/10) & vs. TSU (12/1).
- 10 points (4-24) in other 14 games.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#12 Anete Steinberga (6-2, Senior, C)
- Lone healthy senior & has started every game.
- 9 straight & team-high 15 games of 10+ points.
- Previously long stretch in career was 6 in a row (twice).
- 2nd on team in free-throws made (56) & attempted (74).
- 2nd in scoring (14.1) & 3rd in rebounding (6.3).
- 1 of 4 Miners with 35+ offensive boards (48).
- 2 points in opener vs. LMU (11/10).
- 8+ points in each game since.
- Double-doubles in 2 of the past 3 games.
- 31-of-37 on free throws over the past 7 contests.
- 25-of-37 at the line in the first 11 games..
- 3+ fouls in 5 straight tilts, with 4 ore more in three of them.
- Committed 2 fouls vs. SHSU (12/28) & 1 against UTPA (12/30).
- 30+ minutes 6 times this year.
- 2 such games in 2011-12.
- C-USA Player of the Week on 1/14/12.
- 2010, 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#14 Marissa Rodriguez (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- 18 minutes in 4 games of action.
- Career-high 5 points vs. ENMU (12/8).
- 2 of 3 shots made have been three pointers.
- 3 of 4 shots tried from beyond the arc.
- 3 pointer vs. NM State (12/5) for first career points.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Medal Recipient.
- Recipient of 2012 C-USA Academic Medal.
- Walk-on who grew up in El Paso.
- Attended HS in San Antonio before returning.
#20 Diamond Posey (5-7, Freshman, G)
- 37 minutes in 7 games in non-conference play.
- Has not played since the start of C-USA action.
- All 11 points scored in her most-recent 3 appearances.
- 3-of-7 from floor in those games.
- Scoreless & 0-of-5 from floor previously.
- 8 of 12 field-goal attempts have been treys.
- Ranked as No. 106 guard in country & assessed a grade of 87 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#21 Saidah Zuberi Allen (5-11, Freshman, F/G)
- Played in every game, earning 13.8 mpg.
- 1 of 4 Miners with 35+ offensive boards (38).
- 6 points & nailed 3-of-4 shots at Houston (1/27).
- 7 points & 3-of-19 from the floor the prior 3 contests.
- 5+ rebounds in 10 straight contests & 71 total boards in stretch.
- 5 boards once in first 8 games (vs. HBU, 11/16) & 22 total.
- All 16 steals have come in past 10 games.
- 10+ minutes in 11 of past 12 games.
- 1 game of 10+ minutes in the first 6.
- Sat out 2011-12 season with injury at Fresno St.
- Transferred & ruled eligible to play immediately.
#32 Chrishauna Parker (5-10, Sophomore, G)
- Started every game & paces team in assists per game (4.1), FG% (52.9), free-throws made (58) & attempts (90), & offensive boards (59).
- 2nd in double-doubles (4), rebounds (8.5) & 3rd in scoring (10.4).
- Lone Miner with 5+ boards in every game.
- 10+ points in 6 of 7 & 11 games total.
- 3 double-digit scoring games as a freshman.
- 8 games with 5+ assists.
- Never had more than 3 assists last year.
- 5+ free throw attempts in 7 games.
- 3 games with 10+ free throw attempts.
- Above 50.0% in past two games, making combined 7-of-11.
- Hadn’t topped 44.4% from floor in past 5 games.
- Was +50.0% in 10 of the first 11 contests on year.
- 11 steals in the first 5 games.
- 5 thefts in ensuing 13 contests.
- 23-3 as starter, including 16-2 in 2012-13.
#34 Destinee LaFountain (6-1, Junior, F)
- Reserve-best 14.3 minutes per game
- Back-up forward & played in all 18 contests.
- Team-high 14 blocked shots.
- 3 points (1-of-1) on an old-fashioned 3-point play at Rice (1/24).
- 3 points total (1-of-14) from floor in other 4 C-USA contests.
- 3 boards total in past 2 tilts.
- 12 rebounds, including 5 offensive, before the past 2 tilts.
- Joined UTEP from Ventura College.
- Earned Honorable-Mention All-America Honors.
IT’S A MONTH THING
- Winning record in 3 of 5 months under Keitha Adams.
- December (53-25) is the top month, followed by November (38-22) & January (55-38).
- 14-1 since January 2012, including 4-1 this year.
STAT LOVERS’ LANE
- Hit at least 1 three pointer in program-best 218 straight games.
- Last game without a trey was Dec. 30, 2005.
- Hit 1 in all but 4 games under Keith Adams.
- 7-0 on year & 118-13 with 70+ pts under Adams.
- 9-0 on year & 107-16 past 123 games when making 40.5 percent or better from floor.
- 5-0 on year & 76-17 under Adams +40.0% on 3s.
- 13-2 on year & 128-45 under Adams winning boards.
- 61-14 in past 75 games when doing so.
- 3-0 on year & 59-2 under Adams with 20+ assists.
- 5-0 this year & 70-12 under Adams when more turnovers forced than field-goals made by the opposition.
- 51-3 in that area since the start of the 2006-07 campaign.
- 4-2 this year & 57-13 past 70 games making 70% on free throws (min. 10 free throws made).
- Oddly enough, 5-0 on year & 30-12 since 2006-07 when falling shy of 61 percent at the line (min. 10 free-throw attempts).
Anete Steinberga (Senior)
- 20th on UTEP scoring list (777).
- Kanequa Chancellor (1994-98) is 18th at 781.
- 44 10+ point games most of any active Miners.
- 8th at UTEP for career field-goal% (.455).
- UTEP has won 77 games since Steinberga & the now injured Kristine Vitola arrived on campus in 2009, which is the 4th most by a Miner class in program history.
- Started 73 games to place 10th at UTEP.
- Has a chance to reach 500+ rebounds (458).
Kayla Thornton (Junior)
- One of 10 Miners in school history to register at least 700 points (796) & grab 500 rebounds (558).
- 8th for rebounds (553) & 9th for average (7.0)
- Tonietta Greene (1981-84) is 7th with 561 boards.
- 17th for total points (796).
- Norma Sierra (1988-92) is 16th (804).
- 14 double doubles ranks 5th at school.
- Dragana Zoric (2001-03) is 4th with 18.
- 9th at UTEP for career field-goal% (.443).
- 18th at school for steals (97).
- Chris Hall (1985-89) holds 17th place (106).
Kelli Willingham (Junior)
- On track (689) to crack 700+ points.
- On pace (278) to reach 300+ assists.
- Would become third Miner (Jareica Hughes & Ana Valtierra) to achieve both feats.
- Fifth at UTEP for three pointers made (127).
- Kasia Krezel (2004-08) is 4th (138).
- Also fifth for triples attempted (349).
- Fourth place held by Hughes. (430).
- Tied for 8th at UTEP for career starts (76).
- 11th all time for minutes played (2,449).
- Christina Mata (1999-01) is 10th (2,569).
- 80.0 free-throw % (min. 100 made) is 2nd.
TAKING OUT POWER SCHOOLS
- 3 wins against members of power conferences.
- UTEP downed Pacific 12 members Arizona State (60-54, 11/18/12) & Arizona (64-53, 11/23/12) while also toppling Kansas State on the road (52-50, 12/16/12).
- 6-35 all time in such games, including 3-0 this year.
- 4 of the wins during the Keitha Adams era.
- UTEP beat Nebraska (Big 12, 63-53, 12/20/08).
- Before Adams, UTEP beat Kansas State (Big 8, 67-61, 12/6/96) & Arizona (66-46, Pac 10, 11/20/80).
THIS & THAT
- Winning mark through both 10 games (9-1) & 15 games (14-1).
- School-record 9th straight season of winning mark at 15 tilts.
- Prior school standards was four.
- Ensured program-best 8th straight winning mark at 20 games.
- Previous record was six consecutive campaigns.
- 4 in row & 6 total under Keitha Adams of +.500 at 10 games.
- 2nd straight & 3rd overall start of at least 5-0 on the year.
- Longest win streak to start year is 10 (2011-12).
- Previously never had back-to-back 3-0 starts.
SUCCESS GALORE IN NON CONFERENCE
- Most wins (12) before league play by UTEP team.
- Prior school standard was 11.
- 11-2 entering C-USA play last year & 11-1 at juncture in 2006-07.
- 99-57 in non-league play under Keitha Adams.
- School-record 8 straight seasons of .500 or better out of league.
- 75-33 in timeframe, including 23-4 past 2 years.
- The prior record was four (1994-95 to 1997-98).
- 29-4 to set both the school (men’s) & Conference USA single-season record for wins. 4 losses were by a combined 15 points.
- Won both the 2012 Conference USA regular-season & tournament title championship.
- 1st tourney title at school & 2nd regular-season crown.
- Fell to #11/12 Penn State (85-77) in first round of NCAA Tourney.
- Finished 15-1 in C-USA play, with .938 winning percentage rating third all time in the league.
- Program-best 10-0 start to the year. Also had 15-game win streak.
- Other single-season records set include blocked shots (197), games played (33), rebounding margin (+9.5), scoring defense (54.2), scoring margin (13.4), double-digit wins (21), road wins (11), wins by at 20+ points & overall wins (29).
- Led C-USA in attendance average (2,639), blocked shots (6.0), field-goal percentage (40.8), field-goal percentage defense (33.6), free-throw percentage (69.7), RPI (49), rebounding margin (6.0), scoring margin (+13.4), three-point percentage defense (24.5)
- Received votes for the top-25 the final nine weeks of the season.
- Gloria Brown was voted first-team All C-USA, a member of the all-defensive team, named the Sixth Player of the Year and voted as the 2012 C-USA Tournament Champion MVP.
- Kayla Thornton was a 2nd-team All C-USA member & voted to all-tournament team.
- Keitha Adams was tabbed C-USA Coach of the Year.
- Kelli Willingham was voted to the C-USA Academic All Conference Team.
- More than 2,000 fans in 9 of the final 10 games and a single-season best 11 times overall.
- Final five games all had more than 4,000 fans, also a program best.
- Averaged 4,243 fans during the eight C-USA home games.
ALL ABOUT THE FANS
- All four non-conference home games of 3,000+ fans at school have been under Keitha Adams.
- Topped 3,000 in back-to-back non conference contests (UNM, SHSU) for first time at school.
- 20 of the 26 home games in school history with 3,000+ fans occurred during Adams’ tenure.
- 19-7 all time in such contests, including 16-4 under Adams.
UTEP Home Games With 3,000+ Fans
No. Crowd Foe Score Date
1. 7,255 SMU* W, 76-63 2/28/08
2. 7,212 Memphis* W, 80-58 2/10/07
3. 7,103 BYU* L, 57-61 2/22/93
4. 7,003 ECU* W, 81-53 2/10/08
5. 6,532 SMU* W, 68-50 2/23/12
6. 6,421 Rice* L, 48-52 2/26/12
7. 5,513 Houston* W, 80-55 2/14/08
8. 5,093 Tulsa* W, 65-50 3/1/08
9. 4,682 UNLV* W, 73-58 2/10/98
10. 4,536 Tulane* W, 80-65 2/12/12
11. 4,167 Marshall* W, 64-58 2/9/12
12. 4,069 TCU* W, 79-76 2/22/01
13. 4,029 UCF* W, 67-38 1/29/12
14. 3,781 UAB* L, 57-61 1/20/13
15. 3,726 Hawaii* L, 36-65 2/3/00
16. 3,646 Houston* W, 74-67 1/11/09
17. 3,497 Rice* W, 65-52 1/5/07
18. 3,450 UNM W, 64-62 12/20/10
19. 3,273 NM State L, 60-61 12/7/02
20. 3,215 Fresno St.* L, 62-78 2/14/02
21. 3,173 San Diego St.* W, 70-59 1/22/93
22. 3,107 Fresno State* W, 45-38 2/12/04
23. 3,104 Wyoming* L, 64-66 3/6/93
24. 3,102 SHSU W, 85-66 12/28/12
25. 3,091 New Mexico W, 60-45 12/20/12
26. 3,052 Memphis* W, 66-60 1/8/12
denotes Adams era
* denotes league contest
CLIFFSNOTES ON 2012-13 CAMPAIGN
UTEP 49, at Rice (1/24/13)
- Anete Steinberga banked home a lay-up with 10 seconds to play to propel UTEP to a 49-48 win at Rice Jan. 24.
- The Owls had a chance to pull out the victory but a quality Miners’ (15-2, 3-1 C-USA) double team forced Jessica Kuster, who finished with a game-high 21 points, to give it up and the shot by Christal Porter rimmed out as time expired.
- Parker had a huge impact on the eventual game-winning bucket, coming up with a loose ball to save the possession before Irene Gari used a beautiful lob pass to find Steinberga.
- Used 18-0 run to build a 14-point lead in the first half, finished the game at 33.3 (19-of-57) percent from the floor.
- Made 75% (9-of-12) on free throws & had 12 turnovers.
- Rice was held to 36.4 percent (20-of-55) from the floor.
UAB 61, at UTEP 57 (1/20/13)
- Blazers closed game on 13-4 push.
- Chrishauna Parker buoyed Steinberga and Thornton with nine points and 12 boards.
- Kelli Willingham chipped in eight, but no other Miner finished with more than four points.
- Miners were searching for 1st 15-1 start to year.
- UTEP outrebounded UAB, 57-33, the largest margin in a loss.
at UTEP 81, East Carolina 66 (1/9/13)
- Five different Miners reached double figures in scoring, & UTEP used a huge second half to beat East Carolina, 81-66, at home on Jan. 13.
- Outscored ECU, 54-31, in the second half.
- 54 points are 7th in the 2nd half of a game in program annals.
- The Pirates led by five (48-43) before a 10-0 UTEP run provided the first & only lead change.
- Kelli Willingham scored 8 points in run & finished with 15.
- Gari and Parker flirted with a double-double by grabbing nine rebounds apiece.
- Fourth straight win in league home opener.
- Won six of the past seven contests in situation.
- Moved to 9-3 in them under Keitha Adams & 16-16 overall in program history.
UTEP 71, at Tulsa 64 (1/9/13)
- Kayla Thornton posted her fifth double-double of the season (23 points & 12 boards) and Anete Steinberga navigated through foul trouble to add 18 as UTEP toppled Tulsa, 71-64, on the road in the Conference USA opener for both squads on Jan. 9.
- Thornton scored 16 points in the first half, including drilling one of her five three pointers in the contest as time expired, to afford the Miners a five-point lead (32-27) at the break. They extended that advantage to as many as 12 before withstanding several charges by TU.
- Kelli Willingham had career-high nine boards.
- UTEP won its fourth straight league opener.
- It improved to 6-2 in them since joining C-USA.
at UTEP 83, UTPA 56 (12/30/12)
- Kayla Thornton (15 points & 14 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (17 points & 12 rebounds) both registered double-doubles, and UTEP ran its unbeaten streak to seven with an 83-56 victory against UTPA on Dec. 30.
- Never trailed in contest & used an 18-4 run early in second half to put it out of reach.
- UTEP connected on 40.3 percent (29-of-72) from the floor while finishing with 18 assists.
- Parker set the scoring tone with a game-high and career-best 17 points while also adding four helpers. She did ample damage at the free-throw line, going 9-of-10.
- Saidah Zuberi Allen came off the bench to tally a career-best 12 points while also grabbing eight rebounds.
- Anete Steinberga finished with the identical stat line.
at UTEP 85, Sam Houston 66 (12/28/12)
- Anete Steinberga scored a season-high 23 points, Kayla Thornton added 17 and Chrishauna Parker posted her third career double-double to help UTEP soar past Sam Houston State, 85-66, in front of a season-best 3,102 fans Dec. 28.
- After falling behind 5-0 in the first minute, UTEP used a 23-8 run to rip control of the contest. It was up 44-25 at half & cruised down the stretch.
- Parker tallied 15 points while grabbing a career-best 14 rebounds. She also dished out a personal-best-tying seven assists. .
- UTEP had just six turnovers, which ties as the fourth fewest in a single game at the school.
- The Bearkats were held to 33.3 percent from the floor, earning every point they got.
- The school-record-tying four-game streak of foes being held to 50 points or less was halted.
at UTEP 60, New Mexico 45 (12/20/12)
- Kayla Thornton poured in 22 points while Irene Gari (11 points) and Anete Steinberga (10 points) also reached double figures to help propel UTEP to a 60-45 conquest of I-25 rival New Mexico in front of a season-best 3,091 fans at the Don Haskins Center Dec. 20.
- The Miners led wire-to-wire.
- UTEP forced 20 turnovers-which led to 22 points- and kept UNM to 35.7 percent.
- UTEP made 20-of-29 free throws.
- UNM was 1-of-3 at the line, which ties as the fewest makes & attempts by foe in school history.
UTEP 52, at Kansas State 50 (12/16/12)
- Trailing by 10 (48-38) with 5:27 to play, UTEP dug deep and finished the game on a 14-2 run to topple previously unbeaten Kansas State, 52-50, at Bramlage Coliseum on Dec. 16.
- Improved to 3-0 this year against power conference schools.
- KSU fell to 100-10 in non-league home games the past 17 years.
- Held KSU to 29.2 percent (19-of-65) from the floor.
at UTEP 71, Eastern New Mexico 34 (12/8/12)
- UTEP dismantling Eastern New Mexico, 71-34, to push its winning streak to three on Dec. 8.
- The Miners, who never trailed in the contest, led the Division II Zias by 25 at the break (43-18) and were up by at least 30 for the final six minutes of action.
- All 10 players who saw action scored, with freshman Irene Gari keying the charge by reaching double figures (14 points) for the second straight game.
at UTEP 66, NM State 44 (12/5/12)
- Buoyed by freshman Irene Gari’s career-high 19 points and stifling defense, UTEP pounded I-10 rival NM State, 66-44, at home Dec. 5.
- The game was tied 4-4 before UTEP closed the half on a 31-6 surge, which was started by a 13-0 run.
- NM State finished with the third-lowest field-goal percentage by an opponent (20.9) in program history.
- It connected on just 2-of-17 in the first half (11.8 percent).
- Aggies scored 24 of 44 points in game on free throws.
- UTEP nailed eight three pointers to nearly match its sum (nine) from the prior three contests.
at UTEP 88, Texas State 81 (12/1/12)
- Thornton also grabbed 11 boards to secure her second double-double this year & 10th of her career.
- Trailed,46-41, at the half before a big second half.
- The game featured seven lead changes and 10 ties before a 7-0 run by UTEP in the final minute.
- Chrishauna Parker started it with a lay-up off an offensive rebound before Kelli Willingham drilled the Miners’ lone three pointer of the night with 28 seconds left. Thornton capped the surge, while also essentially icing the game, by sinking two free throws with 11 seconds to play.
at NM State 69, UTEP 68 (11/28/12)
- UTEP sustained its first loss of the season after being edged at NM State, 69-68, Nov. 28. The Aggies never led by more than one point in the game.
- There were five lead changes in the final 1:21, with the last one being after two made free throws by NM State’s Daneshia Williamson with 12 seconds left. UTEP pushed the ball up the court but couldn’t get a shot off in time.
- After connecting on a combined 55.2 percent (69-125) from the free-throw line the first five games, UTEP nailed 17-of-19 (89.5).
- Thornton set a career high for rebounds (15) while Gari established one for points (seven).
UTEP 64, vs. Arizona 53 (11/23/12)
- UTEP wrapped a 17-point run around the intermission and pulled away to a 64-53 victory against Arizona to win the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 23.
- Anete Steinberga led four players in double figures with 18 points. Kayla Thornton (10 points, 10 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (10 points, 11 rebounds) each had double-doubles and Kelli Willingham added 11 points to help the Miners to their second victory against a Pacific-12 team in a week.
- It marked the first career double-double for Parker.
UTEP 61, vs. Texas Southern 52 (11/22/12)
- UTEP rode a big second half to post a 61-52 win vs. Texas Southern at its first game of the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 22.
- Outscored the Tigers 38-22 in the second half to make a 30-23 halftime deficit a distant memory.
at UTEP 60, Arizona State 54 (11/18/12)
- Sophomore Chrishauna Parker scored 15 points, senior Anete Steinberga added 14, and UTEP defended with tenacity in an emotional 60-54 victory against traditional Pacific-12 power Arizona State at the Don Haskins Center Nov. 18.
- The back-and-forth game featured 10 ties and 15 lead changes. UTEP outscored ASU, 33-26, in the second half, including a key 5-0 run to break a 45-45 deadlock with 4:35 left.
- Connected on 25-of-39 at the free-throw line, including going 10-of-12 in the final four minutes of the tilt.
- Parker led the charge in that department by making 9-of-12, both career highs. Kelli Willingham was perfect (4-4) at the line while Steinberga drilled four as well.
- Willingham dished out four assists, but more importantly had just one turnover despite facing a full-court press from ASU for the majority of the contest.
- UTEP held ASU to 33.9 percent (19-of-56) while also forcing 18 turnovers that led to 22 points.
- Marring the win was Kristine Vitola sustaining torn ACL.
at UTEP 67, HBU 58 (11/16/12)
- The Huskies hung around for a bit before the Miners blew the visitors out of the water with a game-changing 19-6 run spanning about seven minutes in the second half.
- The surge afforded UTEP a 56-41 lead with 8:10 to play, and HBU never got closer than seven down the stretch.
at UTEP 79, LMU 51 (11/10/12)
- Kristine Vitola notched her first career-double double (21 points, 12 rebounds) to help UTEP pound Loyola Marymount.
- In addition to it being the initial double-double since joining the Orange and Blue, Vitola also set career standards for points (21) and boards (12). She hit on 10-of-11 free throws, also personal bests. She made 5-of-7 shots from the floor, including 1-of-2 from beyond-the-arc.
- UTEP opened up on a 15-0 run, with 10 points by Thornton.
- The prior best run to start a season under Keitha Adams was 7-0 in 2006-07.
- The 28-point margin of victory was the largest in a season opener vs. D1 foe in program history. The prior standard was 19 (68-49 vs. Northern Arizona, 11/20/05).
- The Miners improved to 7-5 in campaign lidlifters under head coach Keitha Adams, including 6-2 when starting the year at home.
- UTEP moved to 26-13 in home openers, helped by an effort of 9-3 under Adams.
- UTEP is now 20-19 all time in season openers, including 17-6 in El Paso.
at UTEP 69, St. Mary’s 60 (11/3/12)
- The Miners led for most of the game, and were up by 17 (61-44) with five minutes to play.
- Marring the victory was sophomore Jenzel Nash suffering a season-ending torn ACL.
The Last Meeting
January 9, 2013