UTEP To Wrap Roadtrip At Houston Sunday
Jan. 26, 2013
THE OPENING ACT
- UTEP will return to action at Houston at 12 p.m. MST Sunday.
- Game will air on KHRO 1150 AM in El Paso.
- The Miners (15-2, 3-1 C-USA) bested Rice, 49-48, on Jan. 24.
- The Cougars (9-8, 3-1) toppled Southern Miss, 81-70, on Jan. 24.
- Houston is 8-2 at home, including 2-0 in C-USA action on year.
- UTEP is 3-1 on road , including 2-0 in C-USA play, this year.
- Won school-record 11 consecutive C-USA road contests.
- Previous mark was 9 (2006-07 through 2007-08)
- Aiming for 2nd straight & 3rd overall road sweep of UH & Rice.
- Also achieved feat in 2007-08.
- 15-2 record for fourth time in program history.
- 2006-07, 2007-08 & 2011-12 also did so.
- 2007-08 improved to 27-2 & finished 28-4.
- 2011-12 moved to 25-2 & finished 29-4
- 2006-07 climbed to 16-2 & finished 22-8.
- Off to start of at least 3-1 in league play for 8th time at school.
- 2007-08 (16-0), 2011-12 (15-1), 1992-93 (6-1), 1997-98 (5-1), 2008-09 (4-1), 2006-07 (4-1) & 1975-76 (3-1) were at least 3-1.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Five straight weeks receiving votes in the polls.
- 29th in Associated Press & tied for 35th in Coaches’ Poll.
- Rated fourth in ESPN.com Midmajor poll.
- Stand 58th in the RPI (RPIRatings.com)
- Record of 3-0 on year vs. top-100 RPI foes.
- Four C-USA weekly award recipients.
QUITE A RUN
- 44-6 since start of the 2011-12 season, including 15-2 this year.
- 29 wins, including 7 this year, by 10+ points.
- 6 losses by combined 20 points, with 2 losses this year by 5 total.
- 60-20 since start of 2010-11 campaign.
- 18 of 20 losses in that timeframe by single digits.
- Last double-digit loss was at Houston (61-77, 2/20/11).
- Other in sequence was at UCSB (50-68, 12/11/10).
UTEP & C-USA
- UTEP has top-3 rank in 6 of 14 major statistical categories.
- 18-2 in C-USA games since 2011-12, including 3-1 this year.
- UTEP has posted four seasons with at least 10 league victories since joining C-USA in 2005-06.
- Miners are 74-42 overall in C-USA contests.
- Best overall win percentage among C-USA teams in 2005-06.
- The Miners are 158-75 (67.8) in that timeframe.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Houston leads the overall series, 13-9.
- Miners won both meetings during 2011-12 campaign.
- UH had claimed prior six games (2009-10 through 2010-11)
- Included in stretch were 2 UH wins at C-USA tourney.
- UTEP won six in a row before the UH run.
- Houston took home victories in 7 of first 8 match-ups.
GOING BACK IN TIME
UAB 61, at UTEP 57 (1/20/13)
- Anete Steinberga banked home a lay-up with 10 seconds to play to propel UTEP to a 49-48 win at Rice on Jan. 24.
- Rice had a chance to pull out the victory but a double team forced Jessica Kuster, who finished with game-high 21 points, to give it up & shot by Christal Porter rimmed out as time expired.
- Parker had a huge impact on the eventual game-winning bucket, coming up with a loose ball to save the possession before Irene Gari used a beautiful lob pass to find Steinberga.
- UTEP built 14-point lead in first half behind 18-0 run.
GETTING TO KNOW HOUSTON
- Houston is 9-8, including 8-2 at home.
- 0-4 start before winning next 4.
- 1-3 stretch after that streak but turned it around since.
- 4-1 over last 5 games, including 3-1 in C-USA action.
- Started 0-3 when scoring 70+ points.
- Won past six games when topping 70 points.
- 6 players better than 7.0 points per game, including 1 at 17.6.
- 3 Cougars with +5.0 rebounds per game, with leader at 9.4.
- UH was founded in 1927.
- Notable alumni include Fred Couples (golfing legend), Carl Lewis (Olympic gold medalist) & Jack Valenti (creator of movie rating system.)
RUNDOWN ON THE 2012-13 MINERS
- Vitola was off to a tremendous start, leading the Miners in field-goal percentage (.600), rebounding (8.3) and scoring (16.0).
- Nash contributed 5.1 ppg on 11.9 mpg in a promising freshman campaign last year.
- Vitola’s injury left UTEP, which had largest senior class in program history a year ago at seven, with just one healthy senior in Steinberga.
- Six newcomers are in mix with four true freshmen (Irene Gari, G, Jamie Madden, G, Diamond Posey, G, & Cameasha Turner), a freshman transfer Saidah Zuberi Allen (G/F) & a junior-college transfer Destinee LaFountain (F).
- Freshman F Tommitrise Collins will redshirt.
- Picked 2nd in the 2012-13 Conference USA Preseason Poll.
-Tulane was tabbed as the favorite to win the league.
TOUGH TO REPLACE
- Graduated biggest class (7) in program history.
- Headlining that group was 2012 C-USA Tournament MVP & second-team all C-USA honoree Gloria Brown, who paced the Miners in blocked shots (97), free throws made (102), attempted (125), percentage (.816), field-goal percentage (.527), points per game (12.1) and rebounds per contest (8.8). A reserve, she repeated as the C-USA 6th Player of the Year.
- Kim Smith (2.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.8 apg) & Erika Warren (5.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg) both started last year while Baiba Eglite (1.6 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.4 apg), Briana Green (2.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg & 1.1 apg), Whitney Houston (1.4 ppg, 0.1 rpg, 0.5 apg) & Melisa Mendes (4.1 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.7 apg) came off bench.
THE BASIC FACTS ON UTEP
- 462-588 since program started (1974-75) including 15-2 this year
- Won 3 league titles, including claiming both the 2012 C-USA regular season & tournament championship (29-4 final mark).
- First league crown was in 2007-08.
- Became first C-USA women’s team to go 16-0 in league play.
- Finished 28-4 overall 2007-08, helped by school & C-USA setting 23-game winning streak.
- Appeared in two NCAA Tournaments, forging a mark of 1-2.
- Advanced to second round in 2008.
- Secured Conference USA’s automatic bid last year but derailed by national power (11/12) Penn State, 85-77, in the first round.
- Will celebrate its 100th year as a school in 2014.
- Notable alumni include former ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Sam Donaldson, well-respected NFL referee Ed Hochuli, former NASA astronaut Danny Olivas engineer & Dennis Poon, who designed Taipei 101 & some of the tallest buildings in the world.
THE ADAMS FILE
- Keitha Adams is 199-149 in 12th year at UTEP.
- Is program’s all-time win leader.
- 326-186 overall mark as 17 years as collegiate head coach.
- 1 of 5 active C-USA women’s basketball coaches with 300+ wins.
- All 3 20+ win seasons & 4 of 5 with 18+ wins at UTEP under Adams.
- Produced seven seasons with 16+ victories.
- Feat achieved three times in 27 years prior.
- All 3 league championships at school during her tenure.
- Same goes for both NCAA Tournament bids.
- 184-107 record past 10 years, including 15-2 in 2012-13.
- 115-155 was best record for 10-year stretch before her arrival.
- Led UTEP to 11-7 mark on national TV games.
- Earned votes in top-25 poll in 5 years, including 2011-12.
- Never achieved feat before Adams’ era.
- Nationally ranked for final six weeks of 07-08.
- 12 of 18 individual career record holders at UTEP played for Adams.
- Coached 15 players who have gone on to play professionally.
- Impacted the international game at the highest level, with Noni Wharemate representing New Zealand at ‘08 Olympic Games.
- Every player who has exhausted her eligibility at UTEP during her tenure has graduated.
HOME SWEET HOME
- Home record of 127-52 in Keitha Adams era.
- 92-20 since 2006-07, including 10-1 this year.
- 57-27 was the best 7-year record before Adams.
- 25-3 over past 28 home games.
- 3 losses by combined seven points.
- 7th straight year with 10+ home victories.
- Prior six featured at least 12.
- Four 10+ win seasons in 27 years before Adams.
- Only one of four (12-1, 1988-89) reached 12.
- 126-40 since starting streak in 2002-03.
- Overall road mark of 51-85 under Keitha Adams.
- 38-33 since 2006-07, including 3-1 this year.
- 25-57 was the best 7-year record before Adams.
- 15-2 over past 17 road contests.
- Won school-record 11 consecutive C-USA road tilts.
- Previous mark was 9 (2006-07 through 2007-08)
Two winning road seasons under Adams.
- Never happened in first 27 years of program.
- Twice finished at .500 during Adams’ tenure.
- Only occurred a pair of times before her.
- Tallied 57 points vs. UAB (1/20) & 49 at Rice (1/24).
- 70+ points in previous 4 games, with 3 of 80+.
- 70+ points 3 times out of first 11 games.
- 3 starters with +10.0 ppg. 2 others at 8.7 & 6.1.
- No reserve contributing more than 4.0 ppg.
- 10 points from bench at Rice (1/24).
- 6 points (2/4) total by reserves in previous 2 contests.
- Above 70% on free throws 5 of past 6 games.
- Achieved twice first 11 contests on the year.
- 122-of-156 (78.2) in free throws in 7 games +70%.
- 133-of-234 (79.3) at the line in other 10 contests.
- 8 offensive boards at Rice (1/24).
- 10+ offensive boards first 16 games.
- 20+ offensive boards in previous 4-of-5 contests.
- 13 or fewer turnovers in 3 straight games.
- 4 games of 13 or less in the first 14 contests of year.
- More turnovers than foes in three games (2-1).
- 17 assists total past 2 contests.
- 17+ assists in previous 4 tilts.
- 4th time in school history of such a streak.
- 2005-06 & 2007-08 (4 games) 2006-07 (5 games).
- Scored 80+ points vs. both SHSU & UTPA.
- First time with 80+ points in consecutive games vs. D1 foes since 2005-06 (85, at N. Colo., 12/13 & 83 vs. Ill. St. 12/18).
- Had 20+ offensive boards vs. SHSU & UTPA.
- Feat hadn’t been achieved since 2006-07
- Prevented 11 foes from cracking 60 points.
- Only Texas State (81, 12/1) has scored 70+ points.
- Held Rice (1/24) to 48 points.
- 4 of 5 previous team had 60+ points.
- Happened twice in first 11 contests.
- 13 foes held to less than 36% from floor.
- Rice finished 4-of-14 (.286) on three points.
- UAB was 8-of-20 (.400) on three pointers.
- Forced at least 18 turnovers 10 times.
- 6 opponents have made at least 20.
- 3 straight foes with 15 or fewer turnovers.
- Prior 2 opponents had 18 & 23.
- 7+ steals in 4 of the past 5 games.
- Had 4 games with 7+ steals in first 12 tilts.
- Equaled a school record by holding four straight opponents to 50 points or less (12/5-12/20) before SHSU had 66 (12/28).
- The 1992-93 squad was the first to do so.
- Also streaks of 3 in a row of conceding 50 points or less in 1974-75, 1980-81, 2003-04 & 2011-12.
- Kept NM State (12/5) & ENMU (12/8) to less than 23%.
- 1st time in school history consecutive foes fell shy of figure.
- TSU (11/22) tied for 7th most turnovers by opponent with 33.
QUICK HITTERS ACROSS THE ROSTER
#1 Jamie Madden (5-8, Freshman, PG)
- Played 58 minutes total in nine games.
- Logged 10 minutes at Rice (1/24) to equal sum from prior 2.
- Scored 6 of her 14 points on year at the free-throw line.
- 6-of-6 at the charity stripe.
- 4-of-8 on twos & 0-of-7 on threes.
- 2+ boards in 3 contests.
- Made debut at the Junkanoo Jam.
- Rated No. 103 point guard in nation by All Star Girls Report coming out of high school.
#2 Cameasha Turner (5-9, Freshman, G)
- One of nine Miners to earn +10.0 mpg (11.9).
- Did not play vs. ECU (1/13) nor vs. UAB (1/20).
- 2 minutes of action at Tulsa (1/9).
- 7+ minutes in each non-conference game.
- 11 points (4-of-9 shooting) in first three games.
- 15 points while hitting 5-of-28 since.
- 2+ rebounds six times.
- 1 offensive & 20 defensive rebounds.
- Rated as No. 74 point guard in country & assessed a grade of 86 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#3 Kelli Willingham (5-6, Junior, PG)
- Started every game & tops team in assist/turnover ratio (1.7), three pointers made (312 & minutes per game (31.8).
- One of four Miners with at least 8.5 ppg (8.7).
- Lone Miner with 5+ points in every game.
- 8 or more points in 11 contests.
- 5-of-12 on threes point shots the past 3 tilts.
- 4-of-12 on twos in that timeframe.
- 0-of-5 at Tulsa (1/9), her first game without a three.
- 10-of-13 on free throws the past 6 games.
- 10-of-13 at charity stripe the first 11 contests.
- 3 or more assists in 13 games.
- 1 assist vs. both Texas State (12/1) & NM State (12/5).
- Career-best 9 boards at Tulsa (1/9).
- 3 of them were offensive rebounds.
- 2 total offensive boards first 13 games of year.
- 7 games with 4+ rebounds. Had 5 such games in 2011-12.
- 30+ minutes in 8 straight & team-high 13 games.
- 2012 C-USA All-Academic Team member.
- 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Medal recipient.
- 55-20 as starter, including 14-2 in 2012-13.
#4 Irene Gari (6-1, Freshman, G)
- Started 14 straight & played in every game.
- Moved into starting line-up after Kristine Vitola sustained a season-ending injury against Arizona State (11/18/12).
- 1 of 4 Miners with +assist/turnover ratio (1.0).
- 4 points on 2-of-12 shooting past 2 contests.
- 12 points while hitting 6-of-10 against East Carolina (1/13/13).
- Did have clutch basket in one-point win at Rice (1/24).
- 3 rebounds in the past 2 games.
- Career-best 9 boards vs. ECU (1/13).
- 22 minutes of action in the contest at Rice (1/24).
- 30+ minutes in the 3 previous games.
- Named C-USA Freshman of Week on Dec. 10.
- First player in program history from Spain.
#5 Kayla Thornton (6-1, Junior, F)
- Leads team in double-doubles (6), scoring (15.7), rebounding (8.4) & total steals (30).
- 2nd on team in offensive boards (52).
- 1 of 3 Miners with 40+ free throws (49-of-70).
- 8 straight & 13 double-figure scoring games on year.
- 7+ points in three other games.
- 16-of-49 (32.7%) overall shooting from floor prior 3 tilts.
- 8-of-16 (50.0%) from field in win at Tulsa (1/9).
- 19-of-49 (37.2%) on three pointers past 7 games.
- 7-of-31 (22.6%) from distance in the first 10 contests.
- 32-of-42 on free throws in past 8 contests.
- 17-of-28 in the first 9 games of the year.
- 9 steals past 3 games to equal sum from the prior 8.
- 4 straight games of 30+ minutes.
- 30+ minutes 4 times over first 13 tilts.
- 50-12 as starter, including 15-2 in 2012-13.
- C-USA Co-Player of the Week on 12/17/12.
- 2012 Junkanoo Jam MVP (16 ppg, 8.0 rpg).
- 2012-13 preseason All-C-USA team.
- 2012 2nd-team All C-USA (9.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg).
- 47-12 as starter, including 14-2 in 2012-13.
#10 Syerra Davis (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- Played in every game, earning 11.6 mpg.
- 1 of 4 Miners with +assist/turnover ratio (1.5).
- 9 assists past 6 games tops sum (7) to start year.
- Career-best 4 assists vs. East Carolina (1/13).
- Hit only three-point try at Tulsa (1/9).
- 0-of-8 from distance in other games.
- 13 points (6-of-11) vs. LMU (11/10) & vs. TSU (12/1).
- 10 points (4-24) in other 14 games.
- 5+ minutes in every game, including 9 of 10+.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#12 Anete Steinberga (6-2, Senior, C)
- Lone healthy senior & has started every game.
- 8 straight & team-high 14 games of 10+ points.
- Previously long stretch in career was 6 in a row (twice).
- 2nd on team in free-throws made (54) & attempted (71).
- 2nd in scoring (13.7) & 3rd in rebounding (5.9).
- 1 of 4 Miners with 30+ offensive boards (45).
- 2 points in opener vs. LMU (11/10).
- 8+ points in each game since.
- 5+ boards in 12 games, with season-high 11 vs. UAB (1/20).
- 1st double-double of year (14 pts./11 rbs.) vs. UAB (1/20).
- 29-of-34 on free throws over past 6 games.
- 25-of-37 at the line in the first 11 contests.
- Did not attempt a free throw against the Blazers.
- 4 straight games with at least 3 fouls, including 5 vs. ECU (1/13).
- Committed 2 fouls vs. SHSU (12/28) & 1 against UTPA (12/30).
- 30+ minutes 5 times this year.
- 2 such games in 2011-12.
- C-USA Player of the Week on 1/14/12.
- 2010, 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#14 Marissa Rodriguez (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- 18 minutes in 4 games of action.
- Career-high 5 points vs. ENMU (12/8).
- 2 of 3 shots made have been three pointers.
- 3 of 4 shots tried from beyond the arc.
- 3 pointer vs. NM State (12/5) for first career points.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Medal Recipient.
- Recipient of 2012 C-USA Academic Medal.
- Walk-on who grew up in El Paso.
- Attended HS in San Antonio before returning.
#20 Diamond Posey (5-7, Freshman, G)
- 37 minutes in 7 games in non-conference play.
- Has not played since the start of C-USA action.
- All 11 points scored in her most-recent 3 appearances.
- 3-of-7 from floor in those games.
- Scoreless & 0-of-5 from floor previously.
- 8 of 12 field-goal attempts have been treys.
- Ranked as No. 106 guard in country & assessed a grade of 87 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#21 Saidah Zuberi Allen (5-11, Freshman, F/G)
- Played in every game, earning 13.4 mpg.
- 1 of 4 Miners with 30+ offensive boards (34)
- 3-of-19 from floor in the past 3 games.
- 10-of-16 shots made in prior 3 contests.
- 5+ rebounds in 9 straight contests & 63 total boards in stretch.
- 5 boards once in first 8 games (vs. HBU, 11/16) & 22 total.
- All 14 steals have come in past 9 games.
- 10+ minutes in 10 of past 11 games.
- 1 game of 10+ minutes in the first 6.
- Sat out 2011-12 season with injury at Fresno St.
- Transferred & ruled eligible to play immediately.
#32 Chrishauna Parker (5-10, Sophomore, G)
- Started every game & paces team in assists per game (3.9), FG% (51.8), free-throws made (56) & attempts (86), & offensive boards (56).
- 2nd in double-doubles (4), rebounds (8.4) & 3rd in scoring (10.5)
- Lone Miner with 5+ boards in every game.
- 10+ points in 5 of past 6 & 10 games total.
- 3 double-digit scoring games as a freshman.
- 7 games with 5+ assists.
- Never had more than 3 assists last year.
- 5+ free throw attempts in 7 games.
- 3 games with 10+ free throw attempts.
- 80.0 (4-of-5) shooting percentage at Rice (1/24).
- Hadn’t topped 44.4% from floor in past 5 games.
- Was +50.0% in 10 of the first 11 contests on year.
- 11 steals in the first 5 games.
- 5 thefts in ensuing 12 contests.
- 22-3 as starter, including 15-2 in 2012-13.
#34 Destinee LaFountain (6-1, Junior, F)
- Reserve-best 14.6 minutes per game
- Back-up forward & played in all 17 contests.
- Team-high 14 blocked shots.
- 3 points (1-of-1) on an old-fashioned 3-point play at Rice (1/24).
- 3 points total (1-of-10) from floor in the first 3 C-USA tilts.
- 0 rebounds in 12 minutes of action at Rice (1/24).
- 12 boards, including 5 offensive, in 25 minutes prior 2 games.
- Joined UTEP from Ventura College.
- Earned Honorable-Mention All-America Honors.
IT’S A MONTH THING
- Winning record in 3 of 5 months under Keitha Adams.
- December (53-25) is the top month, followed by November (38-22) & January (54-38).
- 13-1 in January since last year, including 3-1 this year.
STAT LOVERS’ LANE
- Hit at least 1 three pointer in program-best 217 straight games.
- Last game without a trey was Dec. 30, 2005.
- Hit 1 in all but 4 games under Keith Adams.
- 7-0 on year & 118-13 with 70+ pts under Adams.
- 8-0 on year & 106-16 past 122 games when making 40.5 percent or better from floor.
- 5-0 on year & 76-17 under Adams +40.0% on 3s.
- 12-2 on year & 127-45 under Adams winning boards.
- 60-14 in past 74 games when doing so.
- 3-0 on year & 59-2 under Adams with 20+ assists.
- 5-0 this year & 70-12 under Adams when more turnovers forced than field-goals made by the opposition.
- 51-3 in that area since the start of the 2006-07 campaign.
- 4-2 this year & 57-13 past 70 games making 70% on free throws (min. 10 free throws made).
- Oddly enough, 5-0 on year & 30-12 since 2006-07 when falling shy of 61 percent at the line (min. 10 free-throw attempts).
Anete Steinberga (Senior)
- 20th on UTEP scoring list (757).
- Gloria Brown (2010-12) is 19th with 761.
- 43 10+ point games most of any active Miners.
- 8th at UTEP for career field-goal% (.453).
- UTEP has won 76 games since Steinberga & the now injured Kristine Vitola arrived on campus in 2009, which ties as 5th most by a Miner class.
- Started 72 games to place 10th at UTEP.
- Has a chance to reach 500+ rebounds (446).
Kayla Thornton (Junior)
- One of 10 Miners in school history to register at least 700 points (786) & grab 500 rebounds (553).
- 8th for rebounds (553) & 9th for average (7.0)
- Tonietta Greene (1981-84) is 7th with 561 boards.
- 16th for total points (786).
- Norma Sierra (1988-92) is 16th (804).
- 14 double doubles ranks 5th at school.
- Dragana Zoric (2001-03) is 4th with 18.
- 9th at UTEP for career field-goal% (.448).
- 18th at school for steals (97).
- Chris Hall (1985-89) holds 17th place (106).
Kelli Willingham (Junior)
- On track (680) to crack 700+ points.
- On pace (275) to reach 300+ assists.
- Would become third Miner (Jareica Hughes & Ana Valtierra) to achieve both feats.
- Fifth at UTEP for three pointers made (125).
- Kasia Krezel (2004-08) is 4th (138).
- Also fifth for triples attempted (338).
- Fourth place held by Hughes. (430).
- Ninth at UTEP for career starts (75).
- Izabela Piekarska (2004-08) is 8th (76 starts).
- 11th all time for minutes played (2,385).
- Christina Mata (1999-01) is 10th (2,569).
- 80.4 free-throw % (min. 100 made) is 2nd.
TAKING OUT POWER SCHOOLS
- 3 wins against members of power conferences.
- UTEP downed Pacific 12 members Arizona State (60-54, 11/18/12) & Arizona (64-53, 11/23/12) while also toppling Kansas State on the road (52-50, 12/16/12).
- 6-35 all time in such games, including 3-0 this year.
- 4 of the wins during the Keitha Adams era.
- UTEP beat Nebraska (Big 12, 63-53, 12/20/08).
- Before Adams, UTEP beat Kansas State (Big 8, 67-61, 12/6/96) & Arizona (66-46, Pac 10, 11/20/80).
THIS & THAT
- Winning mark through both 10 games (9-1) & 15 games (14-1).
- School-record 9th straight season of winning mark at 15 tilts.
- Prior school standards was four.
- Ensured program-best 8th straight winning mark at 20 games.
- Previous record was six consecutive campaigns.
- 4 in row & 6 total under Keitha Adams of +.500 at 10 games.
- 2nd straight & 3rd overall start of at least 5-0 on the year.
- Longest win streak to start year is 10 (2011-12).
- Previously never had back-to-back 3-0 starts.
SUCCESS GALORE IN NON CONFERENCE
- Most wins (12) before league play by UTEP team.
- Prior school standard was 11.
- 11-2 entering C-USA play last year & 11-1 at juncture in 2006-07.
- 99-57 in non-league play under Keitha Adams.
- School-record 8 straight seasons of .500 or better out of league.
- 75-33 in timeframe, including 23-4 past 2 years.
- The prior record was four (1994-95 to 1997-98).
- 29-4 to set both the school (men’s) & Conference USA single-season record for wins. 4 losses were by a combined 15 points.
- Won both the 2012 Conference USA regular-season & tournament title championship.
- 1st tourney title at school & 2nd regular-season crown.
- Fell to #11/12 Penn State (85-77) in first round of NCAA Tourney.
- Finished 15-1 in C-USA play, with .938 winning percentage rating third all time in the league.
- Program-best 10-0 start to the year. Also had 15-game win streak.
- Other single-season records set include blocked shots (197), games played (33), rebounding margin (+9.5), scoring defense (54.2), scoring margin (13.4), double-digit wins (21), road wins (11), wins by at 20+ points & overall wins (29).
- Led C-USA in attendance average (2,639), blocked shots (6.0), field-goal percentage (40.8), field-goal percentage defense (33.6), free-throw percentage (69.7), RPI (49), rebounding margin (6.0), scoring margin (+13.4), three-point percentage defense (24.5)
- Received votes for the top-25 the final nine weeks of the season.
- Gloria Brown was voted first-team All C-USA, a member of the all-defensive team, named the Sixth Player of the Year and voted as the 2012 C-USA Tournament Champion MVP.
- Kayla Thornton was a 2nd-team All C-USA member & voted to all-tournament team.
- Keitha Adams was tabbed C-USA Coach of the Year.
- Kelli Willingham was voted to the C-USA Academic All Conference Team.
- More than 2,000 fans in 9 of the final 10 games and a single-season best 11 times overall.
- Final five games all had more than 4,000 fans, also a program best.
- Averaged 4,243 fans during the eight C-USA home games.
ALL ABOUT THE FANS
- All four non-conference home games of 3,000+ fans at school have been under Keitha Adams.
- Topped 3,000 in back-to-back non conference contests (UNM, SHSU) for first time at school.
- 20 of the 26 home games in school history with 3,000+ fans occurred during Adams’ tenure.
- 19-7 all time in such contests, including 16-4 under Adams.
UTEP Home Games With 3,000+ Fans
No. Crowd Foe Score Date
1. 7,255 SMU* W, 76-63 2/28/08
2. 7,212 Memphis* W, 80-58 2/10/07
3. 7,103 BYU* L, 57-61 2/22/93
4. 7,003 ECU* W, 81-53 2/10/08
5. 6,532 SMU* W, 68-50 2/23/12
6. 6,421 Rice* L, 48-52 2/26/12
7. 5,513 Houston* W, 80-55 2/14/08
8. 5,093 Tulsa* W, 65-50 3/1/08
9. 4,682 UNLV* W, 73-58 2/10/98
10. 4,536 Tulane* W, 80-65 2/12/12
11. 4,167 Marshall* W, 64-58 2/9/12
12. 4,069 TCU* W, 79-76 2/22/01
13. 4,029 UCF* W, 67-38 1/29/12
14. 3,781 UAB* L, 57-61 1/20/13
15. 3,726 Hawaii* L, 36-65 2/3/00
16. 3,646 Houston* W, 74-67 1/11/09
17. 3,497 Rice* W, 65-52 1/5/07
18. 3,450 UNM W, 64-62 12/20/10
19. 3,273 NM State L, 60-61 12/7/02
20. 3,215 Fresno St.* L, 62-78 2/14/02
21. 3,173 San Diego St.* W, 70-59 1/22/93
22. 3,107 Fresno State* W, 45-38 2/12/04
23. 3,104 Wyoming* L, 64-66 3/6/93
24. 3,102 SHSU W, 85-66 12/28/12
25. 3,091 New Mexico W, 60-45 12/20/12
26. 3,052 Memphis* W, 66-60 1/8/12
denotes Adams era
* denotes league contest
CLIFFSNOTES ON 2012-13 CAMPAIGN
UAB 61, at UTEP 57 (1/20/13)
- Blazers closed game on 13-4 push.
- Chrishauna Parker buoyed Steinberga and Thornton with nine points and 12 boards.
- Kelli Willingham chipped in eight, but no other Miner finished with more than four points.
- Miners were searching for 1st 15-1 start to year.
- UTEP outrebounded UAB, 57-33, the largest margin in a loss.
at UTEP 81, East Carolina 66 (1/9/13)
- Five different Miners reached double figures in scoring, & UTEP used a huge second half to beat East Carolina, 81-66, at home on Jan. 13.
- Outscored ECU, 54-31, in the second half.
- 54 points are 7th in the 2nd half of a game in program annals.
- The Pirates led by five (48-43) before a 10-0 UTEP run provided the first & only lead change.
- Kelli Willingham scored 8 points in run & finished with 15.
- Gari and Parker flirted with a double-double by grabbing nine rebounds apiece.
- Fourth straight win in league home opener.
- Won six of the past seven contests in situation.
- Moved to 9-3 in them under Keitha Adams & 16-16 overall in program history.
UTEP 71, at Tulsa 64 (1/9/13)
- Kayla Thornton posted her fifth double-double of the season (23 points & 12 boards) and Anete Steinberga navigated through foul trouble to add 18 as UTEP toppled Tulsa, 71-64, on the road in the Conference USA opener for both squads on Jan. 9.
- Thornton scored 16 points in the first half, including drilling one of her five three pointers in the contest as time expired, to afford the Miners a five-point lead (32-27) at the break. They extended that advantage to as many as 12 before withstanding several charges by TU.
- Kelli Willingham had career-high nine boards.
- UTEP won its fourth straight league opener.
- It improved to 6-2 in them since joining C-USA.
at UTEP 83, UTPA 56 (12/30/12)
- Kayla Thornton (15 points & 14 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (17 points & 12 rebounds) both registered double-doubles, and UTEP ran its unbeaten streak to seven with an 83-56 victory against UTPA on Dec. 30.
- Never trailed in contest & used an 18-4 run early in second half to put it out of reach.
- UTEP connected on 40.3 percent (29-of-72) from the floor while finishing with 18 assists.
- Parker set the scoring tone with a game-high and career-best 17 points while also adding four helpers. She did ample damage at the free-throw line, going 9-of-10.
- Saidah Zuberi Allen came off the bench to tally a career-best 12 points while also grabbing eight rebounds.
- Anete Steinberga finished with the identical stat line.
at UTEP 85, Sam Houston 66 (12/28/12)
- Anete Steinberga scored a season-high 23 points, Kayla Thornton added 17 and Chrishauna Parker posted her third career double-double to help UTEP soar past Sam Houston State, 85-66, in front of a season-best 3,102 fans Dec. 28.
- After falling behind 5-0 in the first minute, UTEP used a 23-8 run to rip control of the contest. It was up 44-25 at half & cruised down the stretch.
- Parker tallied 15 points while grabbing a career-best 14 rebounds. She also dished out a personal-best-tying seven assists. .
- UTEP had just six turnovers, which ties as the fourth fewest in a single game at the school.
- The Bearkats were held to 33.3 percent from the floor, earning every point they got.
- The school-record-tying four-game streak of foes being held to 50 points or less was halted.
at UTEP 60, New Mexico 45 (12/20/12)
- Kayla Thornton poured in 22 points while Irene Gari (11 points) and Anete Steinberga (10 points) also reached double figures to help propel UTEP to a 60-45 conquest of I-25 rival New Mexico in front of a season-best 3,091 fans at the Don Haskins Center Dec. 20.
- The Miners led wire-to-wire.
- UTEP forced 20 turnovers-which led to 22 points- and kept UNM to 35.7 percent.
- UTEP made 20-of-29 free throws.
- UNM was 1-of-3 at the line, which ties as the fewest makes & attempts by foe in school history.
UTEP 52, at Kansas State 50 (12/16/12)
- Trailing by 10 (48-38) with 5:27 to play, UTEP dug deep and finished the game on a 14-2 run to topple previously unbeaten Kansas State, 52-50, at Bramlage Coliseum on Dec. 16.
- Improved to 3-0 this year against power conference schools.
- KSU fell to 100-10 in non-league home games the past 17 years.
- Held KSU to 29.2 percent (19-of-65) from the floor.
at UTEP 71, Eastern New Mexico 34 (12/8/12)
- UTEP dismantling Eastern New Mexico, 71-34, to push its winning streak to three on Dec. 8.
- The Miners, who never trailed in the contest, led the Division II Zias by 25 at the break (43-18) and were up by at least 30 for the final six minutes of action.
- All 10 players who saw action scored, with freshman Irene Gari keying the charge by reaching double figures (14 points) for the second straight game.
at UTEP 66, NM State 44 (12/5/12)
- Buoyed by freshman Irene Gari’s career-high 19 points and stifling defense, UTEP pounded I-10 rival NM State, 66-44, at home Dec. 5.
- The game was tied 4-4 before UTEP closed the half on a 31-6 surge, which was started by a 13-0 run.
- NM State finished with the third-lowest field-goal percentage by an opponent (20.9) in program history.
- It connected on just 2-of-17 in the first half (11.8 percent).
- Aggies scored 24 of 44 points in game on free throws.
- UTEP nailed eight three pointers to nearly match its sum (nine) from the prior three contests.
at UTEP 88, Texas State 81 (12/1/12)
- Thornton also grabbed 11 boards to secure her second double-double this year & 10th of her career.
- Trailed,46-41, at the half before a big second half.
- The game featured seven lead changes and 10 ties before a 7-0 run by UTEP in the final minute.
- Chrishauna Parker started it with a lay-up off an offensive rebound before Kelli Willingham drilled the Miners’ lone three pointer of the night with 28 seconds left. Thornton capped the surge, while also essentially icing the game, by sinking two free throws with 11 seconds to play.
at NM State 69, UTEP 68 (11/28/12)
- UTEP sustained its first loss of the season after being edged at NM State, 69-68, Nov. 28. The Aggies never led by more than one point in the game.
- There were five lead changes in the final 1:21, with the last one being after two made free throws by NM State’s Daneshia Williamson with 12 seconds left. UTEP pushed the ball up the court but couldn’t get a shot off in time.
- After connecting on a combined 55.2 percent (69-125) from the free-throw line the first five games, UTEP nailed 17-of-19 (89.5).
- Thornton set a career high for rebounds (15) while Gari established one for points (seven).
UTEP 64, vs. Arizona 53 (11/23/12)
- UTEP wrapped a 17-point run around the intermission and pulled away to a 64-53 victory against Arizona to win the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 23.
- Anete Steinberga led four players in double figures with 18 points. Kayla Thornton (10 points, 10 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (10 points, 11 rebounds) each had double-doubles and Kelli Willingham added 11 points to help the Miners to their second victory against a Pacific-12 team in a week.
- It marked the first career double-double for Parker.
UTEP 61, vs. Texas Southern 52 (11/22/12)
- UTEP rode a big second half to post a 61-52 win vs. Texas Southern at its first game of the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 22.
- Outscored the Tigers 38-22 in the second half to make a 30-23 halftime deficit a distant memory.
at UTEP 60, Arizona State 54 (11/18/12)
- Sophomore Chrishauna Parker scored 15 points, senior Anete Steinberga added 14, and UTEP defended with tenacity in an emotional 60-54 victory against traditional Pacific-12 power Arizona State at the Don Haskins Center Nov. 18.
- The back-and-forth game featured 10 ties and 15 lead changes. UTEP outscored ASU, 33-26, in the second half, including a key 5-0 run to break a 45-45 deadlock with 4:35 left.
- Connected on 25-of-39 at the free-throw line, including going 10-of-12 in the final four minutes of the tilt.
- Parker led the charge in that department by making 9-of-12, both career highs. Kelli Willingham was perfect (4-4) at the line while Steinberga drilled four as well.
- Willingham dished out four assists, but more importantly had just one turnover despite facing a full-court press from ASU for the majority of the contest.
- UTEP held ASU to 33.9 percent (19-of-56) while also forcing 18 turnovers that led to 22 points.
- Marring the win was Kristine Vitola sustaining torn ACL.
at UTEP 67, HBU 58 (11/16/12)
- The Huskies hung around for a bit before the Miners blew the visitors out of the water with a game-changing 19-6 run spanning about seven minutes in the second half.
- The surge afforded UTEP a 56-41 lead with 8:10 to play, and HBU never got closer than seven down the stretch.
at UTEP 79, LMU 51 (11/10/12)
- Kristine Vitola notched her first career-double double (21 points, 12 rebounds) to help UTEP pound Loyola Marymount.
- In addition to it being the initial double-double since joining the Orange and Blue, Vitola also set career standards for points (21) and boards (12). She hit on 10-of-11 free throws, also personal bests. She made 5-of-7 shots from the floor, including 1-of-2 from beyond-the-arc.
- UTEP opened up on a 15-0 run, with 10 points by Thornton.
- The prior best run to start a season under Keitha Adams was 7-0 in 2006-07.
- The 28-point margin of victory was the largest in a season opener vs. D1 foe in program history. The prior standard was 19 (68-49 vs. Northern Arizona, 11/20/05).
- The Miners improved to 7-5 in campaign lidlifters under head coach Keitha Adams, including 6-2 when starting the year at home.
- UTEP moved to 26-13 in home openers, helped by an effort of 9-3 under Adams.
- UTEP is now 20-19 all time in season openers, including 17-6 in El Paso.
at UTEP 69, St. Mary’s 60 (11/3/12)
- The Miners led for most of the game, and were up by 17 (61-44) with five minutes to play.
- Marring the victory was sophomore Jenzel Nash suffering a season-ending torn ACL.
The Last Meeting
February 19, 2012
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store