Miners Open Roadswing At Rice
Jan. 23, 2013
THE OPENING ACT
- UTEP will kick off a two-game roadswing with a match-up at Rice at 6 p.m. MST Thursday.
- The Miners (14-2, 2-1) are 2-1 on the road.
- 1-0 this year & 10 straight C-USA road wins.
- Last lost consecutive league games in 2010-11.
- The Owls (9-8, 1-3) are 8-2 at home, 1-1 C-USA.
- Top 2 rebounding teams in C-USA.
- Game will air on KHRO 1150 AM in El Paso
- 14-2 record for fourth time in program history.
- 2006-07, 2007-08 & 2011-12 also did so.
- 2007-08 improved to 27-2 & finished 28-4.
- 2011-12 moved to 25-2 & finished 29-4
- 2006-07 climbed to 16-2 & finished 22-8.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Five straight weeks receiving votes in the polls.
- 29th in AP & tied for 35th in Coaches’ Poll.
- Rated fourth in ESPN.com Midmajor poll.
- Stand 58th in the RPI (RPIRatings.com)
- Record of 3-0 on year vs. top-100 RPI foes.
- Four C-USA weekly award recipients.
QUITE A RUN
- UTEP is 43-6 since the start of the 2011-12 season, including 14-2 this year.
- 29 wins, including 7 this year, by 10+ points.
- 6 losses by combined 20 points.
- 59-20 since start of 2010-11 campaign.
- Only 2 of losses by double digits. (@ Houston, 61-77, 2/20/11 & @ UCSB, 50-68, 12/11/10).
- The last double-digit home loss came against Kansas State (65-44, 11/14/08).
UTEP & C-USA
- UTEP is within the top three of eight of the 14 major statistical categories. (see chart, page 1).
- 17-2 in C-USA games since the start of last season, including 2-1 this year.
- UTEP has posted four seasons with at least 10 league victories since joining C-USA in 2005-06.
- Miners are 72-43 overall in C-USA contests.
- UTEP has the best overall winning percentage since the restructure of C-USA in 2005-06.
- The Miners are 157-75 (.677) in that timeframe.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- Rice leads the overall series, 24-12.
- Owls own 14-4 advantage at home.
- UTEP is 10-5 vs. Owls since start of 2006-07.
- Miners are 3-2 at Rice since 2007-08
- Road team won each of the meetings last year.
- Each game was decided by four points.
GOING BACK IN TIME
UAB 61, at UTEP 57 (1/20/13)
- Blazers closed game on 13-4 push.
- Chrishauna Parker buoyed Steinberga and Thornton with nine points and 12 boards.
- Kelli Willingham chipped in eight, but no other Miner finished with more than four points.
- Miners were searching for 1st 15-1 start to year.
- UTEP outrebounded UAB, 57-33.
GETTING TO KNOW RICE
- Rice is 9-8, including 8-2 at home.
- 2-4 start before winning six straight games.
- Lost 2 straight & is 1-4 since that surge.
- Two players in double figures for scoring.
- Two others at +6.5 points per game.
- Three Owls with +6.5 rebounds per game.
- 3-0 when scoring 68 or more points.
- 8-0 when giving up fewer than 60 points.
- Nine postseason bids in program history.
- Went 0-1 in the WBI last year.
- Played in WNIT in 2011.
- School opened in 1912
- Notable alumni include Lance Berkman (former MLB All Star), Thomas Cruikshank (former chairman & CEO at Haliburton), Howard Hughes (once richest man in world) John Kline (US Congressman) and Peggy Whitson (U.S. Astronaut.)
RUNDOWN ON THE 2012-13 MINERS
- Hit hard by injuries losing starters sophomore guard Jenzel Nash (vs. St. Mary’s, 11/3) & senior center Kristine Vitola (vs. ASU, 11/18/12) to torn anterior cruciate ligament (left knee).
- Vitola was off to a tremendous start, leading the Miners in field-goal percentage (.600), rebounding (8.3) and scoring (16.0).
- Nash contributed 5.1 ppg on 11.9 mpg in a promising freshman campaign last year.
- Vitola’s injury left UTEP, which had largest senior class in program history a year ago at seven, with just one healthy senior in Steinberga.
- Six newcomers are in mix with four true freshmen (Irene Gari, G, Jamie Madden, G, Diamond Posey, G, & Cameasha Turner), a freshman transfer Saidah Zuberi Allen (G/F) & a junior-college transfer (Destinee LaFountain F).
- Freshman F Tommitrise Collins will redshirt.
- Picked second in the 2012-13 Conference USA Preseason Poll, as voted upon by the league’s 12 head coaches. Tulane was tabbed as the favorite to win the league.
TOUGH TO REPLACE
- Graduated biggest class (7) in program history.
- Headlining that group was 2012 C-USA Tournament MVP & second-team all C-USA honoree Gloria Brown, who paced the Miners in blocked shots (97), free throws made (102), attempted (125), percentage (.816), field-goal percentage (.527), points per game (12.1) and rebounds per contest (8.8). A reserve, she repeated as the C-USA 6th Player of the Year.
- Kim Smith (2.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.8 apg) & Erika Warren (5.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg) both started last year while Baiba Eglite (1.6 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.4 apg), Briana Green (2.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg & 1.1 apg), Whitney Houston (1.4 ppg, 0.1 rpg, 0.5 apg) & Melisa Mendes (4.1 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.7 apg) joined Brown in coming off the bench.
THE BASIC FACTS ON UTEP
- 461-588 since the start of the program for 1974-75 season, including 14-2 this year.
- Won three conference titles, including claiming both the 2012 C-USA regular season & tournament championship (29-4 final mark).
- First league crown was in 2007-08. Became first C-USA women’s team to go 16-0 in league play.
- Finished 28-4 overall 2007-08, helped by school & C-USA setting 23-game winning streak.
- Appeared in two NCAA Tournaments, forging a mark of 1-2 at the “Big Dance.”
- Advanced to second round in 2008.
- Secured Conference USA’s automatic bid last year but was derailed by national power (11/12) Penn State, 85-77, in the first round.
- Will celebrate its 100th year as a school in 2014.
- Notable alumni include former ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Sam Donaldson, well-respected NFL referee Ed Hochuli, former NASA astronaut Danny Olivas engineer & Dennis Poon, who designed Taipei 101 & some of the tallest buildings in the world.
THE ADAMS FILE
- Keitha Adams is 198-149 in 12th year at UTEP.
- Is program’s all-time win leader.
- Overall is 325-186, including 14-2 this year,in 17th season as collegiate head coach.
- One of five active coaches in C-USA women’s basketball with 300+ victories.
- All three 20+ win seasons & 4 of 5 years of 18+win seasons at UTEP during Adams’ tenure.
- Produced seven seasons with 16+ victories.
- Feat achieved three times in 27 years prior.
- All three league crowns & both NCAA Tourney bids in program history during her tenure.
- The Miners are 183-107 in the past 10 years, including the 14-2 record in 2012-13.
- Best record for a 10-year stretch before Adams’ arrival was 115-155.
- Led UTEP to 11-7 mark on national TV games.
- UTEP has earned votes in the top-25 poll in five seasons, including this year.
- Nationally ranked for final six weeks of 07-08.
- Twelve of the 18 major individual career records at the school held by Adams’ players.
- Impacted the international game at the highest level, with Noni Wharemate representing New Zealand at the 2008 Olympic Summer Games.
- Every player who has exhausted her eligibility at UTEP during her tenure has graduated.
HOME SWEET HOME
- Home record of 127-52 in Keitha Adams era.
- 92-19 since 2006-07, including 10-0 this year.
- 57-27 was the best 7-year record before Adams.
- 25-3 over past 28 home games.
- 3 losses by combined seven points.
- 7th straight year with 10+ home victories.
- Prior six featured at least 12.
- Four 10+ win seasons in 27 years before Adams.
- Only one of four (12-1, 1988-89) reached 12.
- 126-40 since starting streak in 2002-03.
ALL ABOUT THE FANS
- All four non-conference home games of 3,000+ fans at school have been under Keitha Adams.
- Topped 3,000 in back-to-back non conference contests (UNM, SHSU) for first time at school.
- 20 of the 26 home games in school history with 3,000+ fans occurred during Adams’ tenure.
- Record of 19-7 all time in such contests, including 16-4 under Adams.
UTEP Home Games With 3,000+ Fans
No. Crowd Foe Score Date
1. 7,255 SMU* W, 76-63 2/28/08
2. 7,212 Memphis* W, 80-58 2/10/07
3. 7,103 BYU* L, 57-61 2/22/93
4. 7,003 ECU* W, 81-53 2/10/08
5. 6,532 SMU* W, 68-50 2/23/12
6. 6,421 Rice* L, 48-52 2/26/12
7. 5,513 Houston* W, 80-55 2/14/08
8. 5,093 Tulsa* W, 65-50 3/1/08
9. 4,682 UNLV* W, 73-58 2/10/98
10. 4,536 Tulane* W, 80-65 2/12/12
11. 4,167 Marshall* W, 64-58 2/9/12
12. 4,069 TCU* W, 79-76 2/22/01
13. 4,029 UCF* W, 67-38 1/29/12
14. 3,781 UAB* L, 57-61 1/20/13
15. 3,726 Hawaii* L, 36-65 2/3/00
16. 3,646 Houston* W, 74-67 1/11/09
17. 3,497 Rice* W, 65-52 1/5/07
18. 3,450 UNM W, 64-62 12/20/10
19. 3,273 NM State L, 60-61 12/7/02
20. 3,215 Fresno St.* L, 62-78 2/14/02
21. 3,173 San Diego St.* W, 70-59 1/22/93
22. 3,107 Fresno State* W, 45-38 2/12/04
23. 3,104 Wyoming* L, 64-66 3/6/93
24. 3,102 SHSU W, 85-66 12/28/12
25. 3,091 New Mexico W, 60-45 12/20/12
26. 3,052 Memphis* W, 66-60 1/8/12
denotes Adams era
* denotes league contest
- Overall road mark of 50-85 under Keitha Adams.
- 37-33 since 2006-07, including 2-1 this year.
- 25-57 was the best 7-year record before Adams.
- Won 10 straight within C-USA play.
- Two winning road seasons under Adams.
- Never happened in first 27 years of program.
- Twice finished at .500 during Adams’ tenure.
- Only occurred a pair of times before her.
- Held to 57 points against UAB (1/20).
- 70+ points in previous 4 games, with 3 of 80+.
- 70+ points 3 times out of first 11 games.
- 3 starters with +10.0 ppg. 2 others at 8.9 & 6.4.
- No reserve contributing more than 4.0 ppg.
- 6 points (2/4) total from bench past 2 games.
- season-best 23 2nd-chance points vs. UAB (1/20)
- Above 70% on free throws 4 of past 5 games.
- Achieved twice first 11 contests on the year.
- 113-of-126 (79.3) in free throws in 6 games +70%.
- 133-of-234 (79.3) at the line in other 10 contests.
- 20+ offensive boards in 4 of the last 5 tilts.
- 2 such games in first 11 to start the season.
- 10+ offensive boards in every contest.
- 22 turnovers (9/13) past two games.
- 38 total (20 & 18) in two previous contests.
- More turnovers than foes 3 games (2-1).
- 10 assists vs. UAB (1/20).
- 17+ assists in previous 4 tilts.
- 4th time in school history of such a streak.
- 2005-06 & 2007-08 (4 games) 2006-07 (5 games).
- 36 (24/12) prior 2 tilts before surge.
- Prevented 10 foes from cracking 60 points.
- Only Texas State (81, 12/1) has scored 70+ points.
- 4 of past 5 teams with 60+ points.
- Happened twice in first 11 contests.
- 12 foes held to less than 36% from floor.
- 3 of past 4 foes with 8 or fewer offensive boards.
- 5 of prior 6 with 10+ offensive rebounds.
- UAB was 8-of-20 (.400) on three pointers.
- ECU hit just 3-of-19 (.158) from beyond-the-arc.
- Forced at least 18 turnovers 10 times.
- 6 opponents have made at least 20.
- Foes made 18 giveaways in past 2 games.
- Tulsa (1/9/13) committed 18 of its own.
- 2 steals vs. UAB (1/20).
- 7+ steals in the 3 previous contests.
- Had 4 games with 7+ steals in first 12 tilts.
QUICK HITTERS ACROSS THE ROSTER
#1 Jamie Madden (5-8, Freshman, PG)
- Played 48 minutes total in eight games.
- Scored half (6-of-12) of points on free throws.
- 6-of-6 at the charity stripe.
- 3-of-8 on twos & 0-of-7 on threes.
- Made debut at the Junkanoo Jam.
- Rated No. 103 point guard in nation by All Star Girls Report coming out of high school.
#2 Cameasha Turner (5-9, Freshman, G)
- One of nine Miners to earn +10.0 mpg (11.9).
- Did not play vs. ECU (1/13) nor vs. UAB (1/20).
- 2 minutes of action at Tulsa (1/9).
- 7+ minutes in each non-conference game.
- 11 points (4-of-9 shooting) in first three games.
- 15 points while hitting 5-of-28 since.
- 2+ rebounds six times.
- 1 offensive & 20 defensive rebounds.
- Rated as No. 74 point guard in country & assessed a grade of 86 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#3 Kelli Willingham (5-6, Junior, PG)
- Started every game & tops team in assist/turnover ratio (1.7), three pointers made (31) & minutes per game (31.9).
- One of four Miners with at least 8.5 ppg (8.9).
- Lone Miner with 5+ points in every game.
- 8 or more points in 11 contests.
- 4-of-8 on threes past two tilts.
- 0-of-5 at Tulsa (1/9), her first game without a three.
- 10-of-13 on free throws the past 5 games.
- 10-of-13 at charity stripe the first 11 contests.
- 3 or more assists in 13 games.
- 1 assist vs. both Texas State (12/1) & NM State (12/5).
- Career-best 9 boards at Tulsa (1/9).
- 3 of them were offensive rebounds.
- 2 total offensive boards first 13 games of year.
- 7 games with 4+ rebounds to top total (5) of such contests during 2011-12 campaign.
- 30+ minutes in 7 straight & team-high 12 games.
- 2012 C-USA All-Academic Team member.
- 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Medal recipient.
- 55-20 as starter, including 14-2 in 2012-13.
#4 Irene Gari (6-1, Freshman, G)
- Started 13 straight & played in every game.
- Moved into starting line-up after Kristine Vitola sustained a season-ending injury against Arizona State (11/18/12).
- 25 points on 8-of-41 shooting first 7 games.
- 2-of-14 on three pointers in that stretch.
- 75 points on 23-of-61 shooting next 8.
- 10-of-26 on triples during the surge.
- 2 points & 1-of-7 from floor vs. UAB (1/20).
- Effort has lifted scoring average from 3.6 to 6.7.
- 3 rebounds against UAB.
- Career-best 9 boards vs. ECU (1/13).
- 8-of-16 overall from floor past 2 contests.
- 3 assists past 2 games.
- 7 helpers the previous 5.
- 30+ minutes in 3 straight contests.
- Did so twice first 13 games on the year.
- Named C-USA Freshman of Week on Dec. 10.
- First player in program history from Spain.
#5 Kayla Thornton (6-1, Junior, F)
- Leads team in double-doubles (6), scoring (15.7), rebounding (8.7) & steals (26).
- 2nd on team in offensive boards (50).
- 1 of 3 Miners with 40+ free throws (46-of-66).
- 1 of 4 Miners with +assist/turnover ratio (1.1).
- 7 straight & 12 games total with 10+ points.
- 7+ points in three other games.
- 3 straight 20+ point games & 6 total on year.
- 18-of-45 on three pointers past 5 games.
- 7-of-31 in the first 11 contests.
- 19 offensive rebounds past four games.
- 6 in the prior 3 contests.
- 109 minutes past 3 games.
- 80 minutes the previous 2
- 29-of-38 on free throws in past 7 contests.
- 17-of-28 in the first nine games of the year.
- 7 steals past 3 games to equal sum the prior 8.
- 49-12 as starter, including 14-2 in 2012-13.
- C-USA Co-Player of the Week on 12/17/12.
- 2012 Junkanoo Jam MVP (16 ppg, 8.0 rpg).
- 2012-13 preseason All-C-USA team.
- 2012 2nd-team All C-USA (9.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg).
- 47-12 as starter, including 14-2 in 2012-13.
#10 Syerra Davis (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- Played in every game, earning 11.6 mpg.
- 1 of 4 Miners with +assist/turnover ratio (1.5).
- 9 assists past 5 games tops sum (7) to start year.
- Career-best 4 assists vs. East Carolina (1/13).
- Hit only three-point try at Tulsa (1/9).
- 0-of-8 from distance in other games.
- 13 points (6-of-11) vs. LMU (11/10) & TSU (12/1).
- 8 points (3-21) in other 14 games.
- 5+ minutes in every game, including 8 of 10+.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#12 Anete Steinberga (6-2, Senior, C)
- Lone healthy senior & has started every game.
- 7 straight & team-high 13 games of 10+ points.
- long stretch before this year was 6 straight 10+.
- Leads team free-throws made (54-71).
- 2nd in scoring (13.9) & 3rd in rebounding (6.0).
- 1 of 4 Miners with 30+ offensive boards (43).
- 2 points in opener vs. LMU (11/10).
- 8+ points in each game since.
- 5+ boards in 11 game.
- 1st double-double of year (14/11) vs. UAB (1/20).
- 29-of-34 on free throws over past 6 games.
- 25-of-37 at the line in the first 10 contests.
- 12 fouls past 3 tilts, including 5 vs. ECU (1/13).
- Hadn’t fouled out this year before that game.
- 9 fouls total over prior 4 games before stretch.
- 30+ minutes 5 times this year.
- 2 such games in 2011-12.
- C-USA Player of the Week on 1/14/12.
- 2010, 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#14 Marissa Rodriguez (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- 18 minutes in 4 games of action.
- Career-high 5 points vs. ENMU (12/8).
- 2 of 3 shots made have been three pointers.
- 3 of 4 shots tried from beyond the arc.
- 3 pointer vs. NM State (12/5).
- 2012 C-USA Academic Medal Recipient.
- Recipient of 2012 C-USA Academic Medal.
- Walk-on who grew up in El Paso.
- Attended HS in San Antonio before returning.
#20 Diamond Posey (5-7, Freshman, G)
- 37 minutes in 7 games in non-conference play.
- Has not played since start of C-USA action.
- All 11 points scored in her past 3 appearances.
- 3-of-7 from floor in those games.
- Scoreless & 0-of-5 from floor previously.
- 8 of 12 field-goal attempts have been treys.
- Ranked as No. 106 guard in country & assessed a grade of 87 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#21 Saidah Zuberi Allen (5-11, Freshman, F/G)
- Played in every game, earning 13.0 mpg.
- 1 of 4 Miners with 30+ offensive boards (33)
- 2-of-9 from floor in past 2 games.
- 10-of-16 shots made in prior 3 contests.
- 5+ rebounds in 8 straight contests.
- 52 boards total in the stretch.
- 22 total rebounds first 8 games, with high of 5.
- All 14 steals have come in past 8 games.
- 10+ minutes in 9 of past 10 games.
- 1 game of 10+ minutes in the first 6.
- Sat out 2011-12 season with injury at Fresno St.
- Transferred & ruled eligible to play immediately.
#32 Chrishauna Parker (5-10, Sophomore, G)
- Started every game, leading team in assists per game (3.9), field-goal percentage (51.8), free throw attempts (81) & offensive boards (54).
- 2nd in double-doubles (4), free throws made (52) & rebounding (8.4) & 3rd in scoring (10.5).
- Lone Miner with 5+ boards in every game.
- 10+ points in 4 of past 5 & 10 games total.
- 3 double-digit scoring games as a freshman.
- 7 games with 5+ assists.
- Never had more than 3 assists last year.
- 5+ free throw attempts in 6 games.
- 3 games with 10+ free throw attempts.
- + .500 shooting percentage 1st 10 of 11 games.
- Hasn’t topped .444 in 5 games since.
- 11 steals first 5 games.
- 4 thefts in ensuing 11 contests.
- 21-3 as starter, including 14-2 in 2012-13.
#34 Destinee LaFountain (6-1, Junior, F)
- Reserve-best 14.8 minutes per game
- Back-up forward & played in all 16 contests.
- Team-high 13 blocked shots.
- 6 points (3-of-7) in last 2 non-conference games.
- 3 points (1-of-11) in first 3 C-USA tilts.
- 12 boards, including 5 offensive, past 2 games.
- 11 boards total in 4 contests before the surge.
- Joined UTEP from Ventura College.
- Earned Honorable-Mention All-America Honors.
IT’S A MONTH THING
- Winning record in three of five months in basketball season under Keitha Adams.
- December (53-25) is the top month, followed by November (38-22) & January (52-38).
STAT LOVERS’ LANE
- Hit at least one three-point shot in a school-record 215 straight games.
- The last time UTEP failed to fill up a triple in a contest was on Dec. 30, 2005.
- Hit 1 in all but 4 games under Keith Adams.
- 118-13, including 7-0 this year, when scoring 70+ points under Adams.
- 106-16 in the past 122 contests, including 8-0 this year, when nailing at least 40.5% from floor.
- 76-17 under Adams, including 5-0 this year, when drilling at least 40% on 3s (min. five made).
- 127-45 under Adams, including 12-2 this year, when winning the boards.
- 60-14 in past 74 games when doing so.
- 59-2 under Adams, including 3-0 this year, when posting 20+ assists.
- 51-3 since the start of 2006-07 campaign & 70-12 under Adams when foes have more turnovers than field goals. 5-0 in area this year.
- 57-13 in past 70 games, including 4-2 this year, with 70% or better at the line. (min. 10 FTM).
- Oddly enough, record of 30-12 since 2006-07, including 5-0 this year, when falling shy of 61 percent at the free-throw line. (min. 10 FTA).
Anete Steinberga (Senior)
- 1 of 26 Miners all time with 700+ points (747)
- 42 10+ point games most of any active Miners.
- T7th at UTEP for career field-goal% (.454).
- UTEP has won 74 games since Steinberga & the now injured Kristine Vitola arrived on campus in 2009, which rates as the seventh-most by a class in Miner history.
- Started 71 games to place 10th at UTEP.
- Has a chance to reach 500+ rebounds (441).
Kayla Thornton (Junior)
- One of 10 Miners in school history to register at least 700 points (776) & grab 500 rebounds (548).
- 8th for rebounds (548) & 9th for average (7.0)
- Tonietta Greene (1981-84) is 7th with 561 boards.
- 18th for total points (776).
- Kanequa Chancellor (781) is 17th
- 14 double doubles ranks 5th at school.
- Dragana Zoric (2001-03) is 4th with 18.
- 9th at UTEP for career field-goal% (.448).
- 7.0 career rebounding average rates 9th.
Kelli Willingham (Junior)
- On track (675) to crack 700+ points.
- On pace (273) to reach 300+ assists.
- Would become third Miner (Jareica Hughes & Ana Valtierra) to achieve both feats.
- Fifth at UTEP for three pointers made (124).
- Former Miner Kasia Krezel is fourth (138).
- Also fifth for triples attempted (338).
- Fourth place held by Hughes. (430).
- Ninth at UTEP for career starts (74).
- Izabela Piekarska (2004-08) is 8th with 76
- 11th all time for minutes played (2,385).
- Christina Mata (2,569) is in 10th place on list.
- 80.4 free-throw % (min. 100 made) is 2nd.
TAKING OUT POWER SCHOOLS
- 3 wins against members of power conferences.
- UTEP downed Pacific 12 members Arizona State (60-54, 11/18/12) & Arizona (64-53, 11/23/12) while also toppling Kansas State on the road (52-50, 12/16/12).
- 6-35 all time in such games, including 3-0 this year.
- 4 of the wins during the Keitha Adams era.
- UTEP beat Nebraska (Big 12, 63-53, 12/20/08).
- Before Adams, UTEP beat Kansas State (Big 8, 67-61, 12/6/96) & Arizona (66-46, Pac 10, 11/20/80).
THIS & THAT
- Had winning record through 10 games (9-1).
- Marked fourth straight year to do so.
- Achieved six times total under Keitha Adams.
- Only happened five times in 27 years previously.
- Opened up at 5-0 (now 14-2) for second straight year & third time total in program history.
- Longest win streak to start year is 10 (2011-12).
- Previously never had back-to-back 3-0 starts.
- Scored 80+ points vs. both SHSU & UTPA.
- Was first time with back-to-back games vs. D1 foes with 80+ points since 2005-06 season. (85, at N. Colo., 12/13 & 83 vs. Ill. St. 12/18).
- Equaled a school record by holding four straight opponents to 50 points or less (12/5-12/20) before SHSU had 66 (12/28/12).
- The 1992-93 squad was the first to do so.
- Also streaks of 3 in a row of conceding 50 points or less in 1974-75, 1980-81, 2003-04 & 2011-12.
- Kept (New Mexico (20.5) & Eastern New Mexico (22.9) to below 23.0 percent from floor.
- Marked first time in program history that consecutive foes fell shy of figure.
- Texas Southern had 33 turnovers (11/22/12).
- Tied as seventh most by foe in program history.
- Had 20+ offensive boards vs. SHSU & UTPA.
- Feat hadn’t been achieved since 2006-07 (25 vs. Rice, 1/5 & 23 vs. Houston, 1/7).
SUCCESS GALORE IN NON CONFERENCE
- Most wins (12) before league play by UTEP team.
- Prior school standard was 11.
- UTEP was 11-2 heading into C-USA action last year & 11-1 at that juncture in 2006-07.
- 99-57 in non-league play under Keitha Adams
- School-record eight straight seasons of .500 or better in non-league play.
- 75-33 in timeframe, including 23-4 past 2 years.
- The prior record was four (1994-95 to 1997-98).
- Went 29-4 to set both the school (men’s) & Conference USA single-season record for wins. 4 losses were by a combined 15 points.
- Won both the 2012 Conference USA regular-season & tournament title championship. Tourney title was the first in program history while it was the second regular-season crown.
- Competed at the 2012 NCAA Championships, falling to nationally-ranked Penn State (11/12) 85-77, in the first round. Was program’s second appearance all time at the NCAA Tournament.
- Finished 15-1 in C-USA play, with .938 winning percentage rating third all time in the league.
- Separate winning streaks of at least 10 games, including a program-best 10-0 to start year.
- Other single-season records set include blocked shots (197), games played (33), rebounding margin (+9.5), scoring defense (54.2), scoring margin (13.4), double-digit wins (21), road wins (11), wins by at 20+ points & overall wins (29).
- Led C-USA in attendance average (2,639), blocked shots (6.0), field-goal percentage (40.8), field-goal percentage defense (33.6), free-throw percentage (69.7), RPI (49), rebounding margin (6.0), scoring margin (+13.4), three-point percentage defense (24.5)
- Received votes for the top-25 the final nine weeks of the season.
- Gloria Brown was voted first-team All C-USA, a member of the all-defensive team, named the Sixth Player of the Year and voted as the 2012 C-USA Tournament Champion MVP.
- Kayla Thornton was a 2nd-team All C-USA member & voted to all-tournament team.
- Keitha Adams was tabbed C-USA Coach of the Year.
- Kelli Willingham was voted to the C-USA Academic All Conference Team.
- More than 2,000 fans in 9 of the final 10 games and a single-season best 11 times overall.
- Final five games all had more than 4,000 fans, also a program best.
- Averaged 4,243 fans during the eight C-USA home games.
CLIFFSNOTES ON 2012-13 CAMPAIGN
at UTEP 81, East Carolina 66 (1/9/13)
- Five different Miners reached double figures in scoring, & UTEP used a huge second half to beat East Carolina, 81-66, at home on Jan. 13.
- Outscored ECU, 54-31, in the second half.
- UTEP’s 54 points are the seventh in the second half of a game in program annals.
- The Pirates led by five (48-43) before a 10-0 UTEP run provided the first & only lead change.
- Kelli Willingham scored eight points in sequence & finished with 15.
- Gari and Parker flirted with a double-double by grabbing nine rebounds apiece.
- Fourth straight win in league home opener.
- Won six of the past seven contests in situation.
- Moved to 9-3 in them under Keitha Adams & 16-16 overall in program history.
UTEP 71, at Tulsa 64 (1/9/13)
- Kayla Thornton posted her fifth double-double of the season (23 points & 12 boards) and Anete Steinberga navigated through foul trouble to add 18 as UTEP toppled Tulsa, 71-64, on the road in the Conference USA opener for both squads on Jan. 9.
- Thornton scored 16 points in the first half, including drilling one of her five three pointers in the contest as time expired, to afford the Miners a five-point lead (32-27) at the break. They extended that advantage to as many as 12 before withstanding several charges by TU.
- Kelli Willingham had career-high nine boards.
- UTEP won its fourth straight league opener.
- It improved to 6-2 in them since joining C-USA.
at UTEP 83, UTPA 56 (12/30/12)
- Kayla Thornton (15 points & 14 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (17 points & 12 rebounds) both registered double-doubles, and UTEP ran its unbeaten streak to seven with an 83-56 victory against UTPA on Dec. 30.
- Never trailed in contest & used an 18-4 run early in second half to put it out of reach.
- UTEP connected on 40.3 percent (29-of-72) from the floor while finishing with 18 assists.
- Parker set the scoring tone with a game-high and career-best 17 points while also adding four helpers. She did ample damage at the free-throw line, going 9-of-10.
- Saidah Zuberi Allen came off the bench to tally a career-best 12 points while also grabbing eight rebounds.
- Anete Steinberga finished with the identical stat line.
at UTEP 85, Sam Houston 66 (12/28/12)
- Anete Steinberga scored a season-high 23 points, Kayla Thornton added 17 and Chrishauna Parker posted her third career double-double to help UTEP soar past Sam Houston State, 85-66, in front of a season-best 3,102 fans Dec. 28.
- After falling behind 5-0 in the first minute, UTEP used a 23-8 run to rip control of the contest. It was up 44-25 at half & cruised down the stretch.
- Parker tallied 15 points while grabbing a career-best 14 rebounds. She also dished out a personal-best-tying seven assists. .
- UTEP had just six turnovers, which ties as the fourth fewest in a single game at the school.
- The Bearkats were held to 33.3 percent from the floor, earning every point they got.
- The school-record-tying four-game streak of foes being held to 50 points or less was halted.
at UTEP 60, New Mexico 45 (12/20/12)
- Kayla Thornton poured in 22 points while Irene Gari (11 points) and Anete Steinberga (10 points) also reached double figures to help propel UTEP to a 60-45 conquest of I-25 rival New Mexico in front of a season-best 3,091 fans at the Don Haskins Center Dec. 20.
- The Miners led wire-to-wire.
- UTEP forced 20 turnovers-which led to 22 points- and kept UNM to 35.7 percent.
- UTEP made 20-of-29 free throws.
- UNM was 1-of-3 at the line, which ties as the fewest makes & attempts by foe in school history.
UTEP 52, at Kansas State 50 (12/16/12)
- Trailing by 10 (48-38) with 5:27 to play, UTEP dug deep and finished the game on a 14-2 run to topple previously unbeaten Kansas State, 52-50, at Bramlage Coliseum on Dec. 16.
- Improved to 3-0 this year against power conference schools.
- The Wildcats fell to 100-10 in non-conference home games the past 17 years.
- Held KSU to 29.2 percent (19-of-65) from the floor.
at UTEP 71, Eastern New Mexico 34 (12/8/12)
- UTEP dismantling Eastern New Mexico, 71-34, to push its winning streak to three on Dec. 8.
- The Miners, who never trailed in the contest, led the Division II Zias by 25 at the break (43-18) and were up by at least 30 for the final six minutes of action.
- All 10 players who saw action scored, with freshman Irene Gari keying the charge by reaching double figures (14 points) for the second straight game.
at UTEP 66, NM State 44 (12/5/12)
- Buoyed by freshman Irene Gari’s career-high 19 points and stifling defense, UTEP pounded I-10 rival NM State, 66-44, at home Dec. 5.
- The game was tied 4-4 before UTEP closed the half on a 31-6 surge, which was started by a 13-0 run.
- NM State finished with the third-lowest field-goal percentage by an opponent (20.9) in program history.
- It connected on just 2-of-17 in the first half (11.8 percent).
- Aggies scored 24 of 44 points in game on free throws.
- UTEP nailed eight three pointers to nearly match its sum (nine) from the prior three contests.
at UTEP 88, Texas State 81 (12/1/12)
- Thornton also grabbed 11 boards to secure her second double-double this year & 10th of her career.
- Trailed,46-41, at the half before a big second half.
- The game featured seven lead changes and 10 ties before a 7-0 run by UTEP in the final minute.
- Chrishauna Parker started it with a lay-up off an offensive rebound before Kelli Willingham drilled the Miners’ lone three pointer of the night with 28 seconds left. Thornton capped the surge, while also essentially icing the game, by sinking two free throws with 11 seconds to play.
at NM State 69, UTEP 68 (11/28/12)
- UTEP sustained its first loss of the season after being edged at NM State, 69-68, Nov. 28. The Aggies never led by more than one point in the game.
- There were five lead changes in the final 1:21, with the last one being after two made free throws by NM State’s Daneshia Williamson with 12 seconds left. UTEP pushed the ball up the court but couldn’t get a shot off in time.
- After connecting on a combined 55.2 percent (69-125) from the free-throw line the first five games, UTEP nailed 17-of-19 (89.5).
- Thornton set a career high for rebounds (15) while Gari established one for points (seven).
UTEP 64, vs. Arizona 53 (11/23/12)
- UTEP wrapped a 17-point run around the intermission and pulled away to a 64-53 victory against Arizona to win the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 23.
- Anete Steinberga led four players in double figures with 18 points. Kayla Thornton (10 points, 10 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (10 points, 11 rebounds) each had double-doubles and Kelli Willingham added 11 points to help the Miners to their second victory against a Pacific-12 team in a week.
- It marked the first career double-double for Parker
UTEP 61, vs. Texas Southern 52 (11/22/12)
- UTEP rode a big second half to post a 61-52 win vs. Texas Southern at its first game of the 2012 Junkanoo Jam on Nov. 22.
- Outscored the Tigers 38-22 in the second half to make a 30-23 halftime deficit a distant memory.
at UTEP 60, Arizona State 54 (11/18/12)
- Sophomore Chrishauna Parker scored 15 points, senior Anete Steinberga added 14, and UTEP defended with tenacity in an emotional 60-54 victory against traditional Pacific-12 power Arizona State at the Don Haskins Center Nov. 18.
- The back-and-forth game featured 10 ties and 15 lead changes. UTEP outscored ASU, 33-26, in the second half, including a key 5-0 run to break a 45-45 deadlock with 4:35 left.
- Connected on 25-of-39 at the free-throw line, including going 10-of-12 in the final four minutes of the tilt.
- Parker led the charge in that department by making 9-of-12, both career highs. Kelli Willingham was perfect (4-4) at the line while Steinberga drilled four as well.
- Willingham dished out four assists, but more importantly had just one turnover despite facing a full-court press from ASU for the majority of the contest.
- UTEP held ASU to 33.9 percent (19-of-56) while also forcing 18 turnovers that led to 22 points.
at UTEP 67, HBU 58 (11/16/12)
- The Huskies hung around for a bit before the Miners blew the visitors out of the water with a game-changing 19-6 run spanning about seven minutes in the second half.
- The surge afforded UTEP a 56-41 lead with 8:10 to play, and HBU never got closer than seven down the stretch.
at UTEP 79, LMU 51 (11/10/12)
- Kristine Vitola notched her first career-double double (21 points, 12 rebounds) to help UTEP pound Loyola Marymount.
- In addition to it being the initial double-double since joining the Orange and Blue, Vitola also set career standards for points (21) and boards (12). She hit on 10-of-11 free throws, also personal bests. She made 5-of-7 shots from the floor, including 1-of-2 from beyond-the-arc.
- UTEP opened up on a 15-0 run, with 10 points by Thornton.
- The prior best run to start a season under Keitha Adams was 7-0 in 2006-07.
- The 28-point margin of victory was the largest in a season opener vs. D1 foe in program history. The prior standard was 19 (68-49 vs. Northern Arizona, 11/20/05).
- The Miners improved to 7-5 in campaign lidlifters under head coach Keitha Adams, including 6-2 when starting the year at home.
- UTEP moved to 26-13 in home openers, helped by an effort of 9-3 under Adams.
- UTEP is now 20-19 all time in season openers, including 17-6 in El Paso.
at UTEP 69, St. Mary’s 60 (11/3/12)
- The Miners led for most of the game, and were up by 17 (61-44) with five minutes to play.
The Last Meeting
February 26, 2012
Don Haskins Center
- Marring the victory was sophomore Jenzel Nash suffering a season-ending torn ACL.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store