UTEP To Play Host To UAB In Nationally-Televised Contest Sunday
Jan. 18, 2013
THE OPENING ACT
- UTEP will take aim at its 10th straight win when it plays UAB at 1:05 p.m. MST Sunday.
- There have been four win streaks of 10+ games in school history, including two last year (10 & 15).
- Fox Sports Net will carry the game nation wide.
- The Miners (14-1, 2-0 C-USA) & Blazers (11-4, 2-0 C-USA) are both unbeaten in league action.
- Tickets are $5 for kids & $3 for adults.
- No UTEP team has ever started the year 15-1.
- 2006-07, 2007-08 & 2011-12 squads were all 14-2
- 2007-08 improved to 27-2 & finished 28-4.
- 2011-12 moved to 25-2 & finished 29-4
- 2006-07 climbed to 16-2 & finished 22-8.
- 10-0 at home for second time in school history.
- 2007-08 (14-0) lone team to be perfect at home.
- UTEP is off to a 2-0 start in league play for second straight year & fifth time overall at the school.
- The Miners have two separate winning streaks of at least five games this year (9 & 5).
- Only two other teams at school (1992-93, 7 & 5, & 2011-12, 15 & 10) have done so.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS, HONORS & MORE
- Four straight weeks receiving votes in the polls.
- 28th in Coaches' Poll & tied for 31st in the AP.
- Rated fourth in ESPN.com Midmajor poll.
- Stand 41st in the RPI (RPIRatings.com)
- Record of 2-0 on year vs. top-100 RPI foes.
- Four C-USA weekly award recipients.
QUITE A RUN
- UTEP is 43-5 since the start of the 2011-12 season, including 14-1 this year.
- 29 wins, including 7 this year, by 10+ points.
- 5 losses by combined 16 points.
- 59-19 since start of 2010-11 campaign.
- Only 2 of losses by double digits. (@ Houston, 61-77, 2/20/11 & @ UCSB, 50-68, 12/11/10).
- The last double-digit home loss came against Kansas State (65-44, 11/14/08).
UTEP & C-USA
- UTEP is within the top three of nine of the 14 major statistical categories. (see chart, page 1).
- Forged mark of 17-1 in C-USA games since the start of last season, including 2-0 this year.
- UTEP has posted four seasons with at least 10 league victories since joining C-USA in 2005-06.
- Miners are 72-41 overall in C-USA contests.
- UTEP has the best overall winning percentage since the restructure of C-USA in 2005-06.
- The Miners are 157-74 (.680) in that timeframe.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- UTEP leads the series 5-4, including 5-3 since being a part of C-USA.
- The Miners beat the Blazers twice last year.
- UTEP secured its first road win (47-45, 3/1/12) & it toppled UAB in the C-USA semis (60-49, 3/9/12).
- UAB won first meeting (at home) in 1991-92.
GOING BACK IN TIME
at UTEP 81, East Carolina 66 (1/9/13)
- Five different Miners reached double figures in scoring, & UTEP used a huge second half to beat East Carolina, 81-66, at home on Jan. 13.
- Outscored ECU, 54-31, in the second half.
- UTEP's 54 points are the seventh in the second half of a game in program annals.
- The Pirates led by five (48-43) before a 10-0 UTEP run provided the first & only lead change.
- Kelli Willingham scored eight points in sequence & finished with 15.
- Gari and Parker flirted with a double-double by grabbing nine rebounds apiece.
- Fourth straight win in league home opener.
- Won six of the past seven contests in situation.
- Moved to 9-3 in them under Keitha Adams & 16-16 overall in program history.
GETTING TO KNOW UAB
- UAB is 11-4, including 2-0 in C-USA play.
- Stand 3-2 on the road & 2-0 in neutral site.
- Won two straight & four of the past five.
- Dropped consecutive contests before surge.
- Three players in double figures for scoring.
- No one else with more than 7.5 ppg.
- Four Blazers with +4.0 rebounds per game.
- No one better than 6.5 rpg.
- 3-4 on year when falling shy of 60 points.
- 7-0 when tallying 70 or more.
- Held consecutive foes & 11 total to less than 60.
- Doctoral, public research university covering 83 blocks in Alabama's largest city (Birmingham).
- Founded in 1969.
- Notable alumni include Regina Benjamin (U.S. Surgeon General), Steve Chiotakis (co-host of the NPR morning report), Deidre Downs (2005 Miss America) & Vonetta Flowers (2002 Olympic gold medalist in bobsled).
RUNDOWN ON THE 2012-13 MINERS
- Hit hard by injuries losing starters sophomore guard Jenzel Nash (vs. St. Mary's, 11/3) & senior center Kristine Vitola (vs. ASU, 11/18/12) to torn anterior cruciate ligament (left knee).
- Vitola was off to a tremendous start, leading the Miners in field-goal percentage (.600), rebounding (8.3) and scoring (16.0).
- Nash contributed 5.1 ppg on 11.9 mpg in a promising freshman campaign last year.
- Vitola's injury left UTEP, which had largest senior class in program history a year ago at seven, with just one healthy senior in Steinberga.
- Six newcomers are in mix with four true freshmen (Irene Gari, G, Jamie Madden, G, Diamond Posey, G, & Cameasha Turner), a freshman transfer Saidah Zuberi Allen (G/F) & a junior-college transfer (Destinee LaFountain F).
- Freshman F Tommitrise Collins will redshirt.
- Picked second in the 2012-13 Conference USA Preseason Poll, as voted upon by the league's 12 head coaches. Tulane was tabbed as the favorite to win the league.
TOUGH TO REPLACE
- Graduated biggest class (7) in program history.
- Headlining that group was 2012 C-USA Tournament MVP & second-team all C-USA honoree Gloria Brown, who paced the Miners in blocked shots (97), free throws made (102), attempted (125), percentage (.816), field-goal percentage (.527), points per game (12.1) and rebounds per contest (8.8). A reserve, she repeated as the C-USA 6th Player of the Year.
- Kim Smith (2.9 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 2.8 apg) & Erika Warren (5.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 1.2 apg) both started last year while Baiba Eglite (1.6 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.4 apg), Briana Green (2.9 ppg, 1.1 rpg & 1.1 apg), Whitney Houston (1.4 ppg, 0.1 rpg, 0.5 apg) & Melisa Mendes (4.1 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.7 apg) joined Brown in coming off the bench.
THE BASIC FACTS ON UTEP
- 461-587 since the start of the program for 1974-75 season, including 14-1 this year.
- Won three conference titles, including claiming both the 2012 C-USA regular season & tournament championship (29-4 final mark).
- First league crown was in 2007-08. Became first C-USA women's team to go 16-0 in league play.
- Finished 28-4 overall 2007-08, helped by school & C-USA setting 23-game winning streak.
- Appeared in two NCAA Tournaments, forging a mark of 1-2 at the "Big Dance."
- Advanced to second round in 2008.
- Secured Conference USA's automatic bid last year but was derailed by national power (11/12) Penn State, 85-77, in the first round.
- Will celebrate its 100th year as a school in 2014.
- Notable alumni include former ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Sam Donaldson, well-respected NFL referee Ed Hochuli, former NASA astronaut Danny Olivas engineer & Dennis Poon, who designed Taipei 101 & some of the tallest buildings in the world.
THE ADAMS FILE
- Keitha Adams is 198-148 in 12th year at UTEP.
- Is program's all-time win leader.
- Overall is 325-185, including 14-1 this year,in 17th season as collegiate head coach.
- One of five active coaches in C-USA women's basketball with 300+ victories.
- All three 20+ win seasons & 4 of 5 years of 18+win seasons at UTEP during Adams' tenure.
- Produced seven seasons with 16+ victories.
- Feat achieved three times in 27 years prior.
- All three league crowns & both NCAA Tourney bids in program history during her tenure.
- The Miners are 183-106 in the past 10 years, including the 14-1 record in 2012-13.
- Best record for a 10-year stretch before Adams' arrival was 115-155.
- Led UTEP to 11-6 mark on national TV games.
- UTEP has earned votes in the top-25 poll in five seasons, including this year.
- Nationally ranked for final six weeks of 07-08.
- Twelve of the 18 major individual career records at the school held by Adams' players.
- Impacted the international game at the highest level, with Noni Wharemate representing New Zealand at the 2008 Olympic Summer Games.
- Every player who has exhausted her eligibility at UTEP during her tenure has graduated.
HOME SWEET HOME
- Home record of 127-51 in Keitha Adams era.
- 92-18 since 2006-07, including 10-0 this year.
- 57-27 was the best 7-year record before Adams.
- 25-2 over past 27 home games.
- 2 losses by combined three points.
- 7th straight year with 10+ home victories.
- Prior six featured at least 12.
- Four 10+ win seasons in 27 years before Adams.
- Only one of four (12-1, 1988-89) reached 12.
- 126-39 since starting streak in 2002-03.
ALL ABOUT THE FANS
- All four non-conference home games of 3,000+ fans at school have been under Keitha Adams.
- Topped 3,000 in back-to-back non conference contests (UNM, SHSU) for first time at school.
- 19 of the 25 home games in school history with 3,000+ fans occurred during Adams' tenure.
- Record of 19-6 all time in such contests, including 16-3 under Adams.
UTEP Home Games With 3,000+ Fans
No. Crowd Foe Score Date
1. 7,255 SMU* W, 76-63 2/28/08
2. 7,212 Memphis* W, 80-58 2/10/07
3. 7,103 BYU* L, 57-61 2/22/93
4. 7,003 ECU* W, 81-53 2/10/08
5. 6,532 SMU* W, 68-50 2/23/12
6. 6,421 Rice* L, 48-52 2/26/12
7. 5,513 Houston* W, 80-55 2/14/08
8. 5,093 Tulsa* W, 65-50 3/1/08
9. 4,682 UNLV* W, 73-58 2/10/98
10. 4,536 Tulane* W, 80-65 2/12/12
11. 4,167 Marshall* W, 64-58 2/9/12
12. 4,069 TCU* W, 79-76 2/22/01
13. 4,029 UCF* W, 67-38 1/29/12
14. 3,726 Hawaii* L, 36-65 2/3/00
15. 3,646 Houston* W, 74-67 1/11/09
16. 3,497 Rice* W, 65-52 1/5/07
17. 3,450 UNM W, 64-62 12/20/10
18. 3,273 NM State L, 60-61 12/7/02
19. 3,215 Fresno St.* L, 62-78 2/14/02
20. 3,173 San Diego St.* W, 70-59 1/22/93
21. 3,107 Fresno State* W, 45-38 2/12/04
22. 3,104 Wyoming* L, 64-66 3/6/93
23. 3,102 SHSU W, 85-66 12/28/12
24. 3,091 New Mexico W, 60-45 12/20/12
25. 3,052 Memphis* W, 66-60 1/8/12
denotes Adams era
* denotes league contest
- Overall road mark of 50-85 under Keitha Adams.
- 37-33 since 2006-07, including 2-1 this year.
- 25-57 was the best 7-year record before Adams.
- Won nine straight within C-USA play.
- Two winning road seasons under Adams.
- Never happened in first 27 years of program.
- Twice finished at .500 during Adams' tenure.
- Only occurred a pair of times before her.
- 70+ points in 4 straight games, with 3 of 80+.
- Held to 60 & 52, respectively, before the surge.
- 70+ points 3 times out of first 11 games.
- 3 starters with +10.0 ppg. 2 others at 9.0 & 6.7.
- No reserve contributing more than 4.0 ppg.
- Above 70% on free throws 3 of past 4 games.
- Achieved twice first 11 contests on the year.
- 100-of-126 (79.3) in free throws in 5 games +70%.
- 133-of-234 (79.3) at the line in other 10 contests.
- 20+ offensive boards in 3 of the last 4 tilts.
- 2 such games in first 11 to start the season.
- 10+ offensive boards in every contest.
- 9 turnovers vs. East Carolina (1/13)
- 38 total (,20 & 18) in two previous contests.
- 17+ assists in 4 straight games.
- 4th time in school history to have such streak.
- 2005-06 & 2007-08 (4 games) 2006-07 (5 games).
- Prevented 10 foes from cracking 60 points.
- Only Texas State (81, 12/1) has scored 70+ points.
- Allowed 64+ points in 3 of past 4 games.
- Happened twice in first 11 contests.
- 12 foes held to less than 36% from floor.
- ECU (1/13) grabbed 18 offensive boards.
- 14 total by opponents prior two tilts.
- Pirates were 3-of-19 (.158) on threes.
- Foes 14-of-38 (.368) in two games before.
- Forced at least 18 turnovers 10 times.
- 6 opponents have made at least 20.
- 3 straight games with 7+ steals.
- Strung together 4 such games early in year.
QUICK HITTERS ACROSS THE ROSTER
#1 Jamie Madden (5-8, Freshman, PG)
- Played 48 minutes total in eight games.
- Scored half (6-of-12) of points on free throws.
- 6-of-6 at the charity stripe.
- 3-of-8 on twos & 0-of-7 on threes.
- Made debut at the Junkanoo Jam.
- Rated No. 103 point guard in nation by All Star Girls Report coming out of high school.
#2 Cameasha Turner (5-9, Freshman, G)
- One of nine Miners to earn +10.0 mpg (11.9).
- Did not play against ECU (1/13).
- 2 minutes of action at Tulsa (1/9).
- 7+ minutes in each non-conference game.
- 11 points (4-of-9 shooting) in first three games.
- 15 points while hitting 5-of-28 since.
- 2+ rebounds six times.
- 1 offensive & 20 defensive rebounds.
- Rated as No. 74 point guard in country & assessed a grade of 86 by ESPN HoopGurlz coming out of high school.
#3 Kelli Willingham (5-6, Junior, PG)
- Started every game & tops team in assist/turnover ratio (1.8), three pointers made (29) & minutes per game (31.5).
- One of four Miners with at least 8.5 ppg (9.0).
- Lone Miner with 5+ points in every game.
- 8+ points in 10 contests.
- 2-of-2 on threes vs. East Carolina (1/13).
- 0-of-5 at Tulsa (1/9), her first game without a three.
- 10-of-13 on free throws the past four games.
- 10-of-13 at charity stripe the first 11 contests.
- 3 or more assists in 13 games.
- 1 assist vs. both Texas State (12/1) & NM State (12/5).
- Career-best 9 boards at Tulsa (1/9).
- 3 of them were offensive rebounds.
- 2 total offensive boards first 13 games of year.
- 6 games with 4+ rebounds to top total (5) of such contests during 2011-12 campaign.
- 30+ minutes in 6 straight & team-high 11 games.
- 2012 C-USA All-Academic Team member.
- 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Medal recipient.
#4 Irene Gari (6-1, Freshman, G)
- Started 12 straight & played in every game.
- Moved into starting line-up after Kristine Vitola sustained a season-ending injury against Arizona State (11/18/12).
- 25 points on 8-of-41 shooting first 7 games.
- 2-of-14 on three pointers in that stretch.
- 75 points on 23-of-61 shooting 8 games since.
- 10-of-26 on triples since the surge.
- Effort has lifted scoring average from 3.6 to 6.7.
- Career-best 9 boards vs. ECU (1/13).
- 7 total rebounds the prior 3 games.
- 8-of-16 overall from floor past 2 contests.
- 8-of-28 prior 3 tilts.
- 9 assists the past 3 games.
- 8 helpers previous 5.
- 30+ minutes in consecutive contests.
- Did so twice first 13 games on the year.
- Named C-USA Freshman of Week on Dec. 10.
- First player in program history from Spain.
#5 Kayla Thornton (6-1, Junior, F)
- Leads team in double-doubles (five), scoring (15.4), rebounding (8.5) & steals (25).
- 2nd on team in offensive boards (46).
- 1 of 3 Miners with 40+ free throws (44-of-64).
- 1 of 4 Miners with +assist/turnover ratio (1.1).
- 6 straight & 11 games total with 10+ points.
- 7+ points in three other games.
- Back-to-back 20+ point games & 5 total on year.
- 14-of-36 on three pointers past 5 games.
- 5-of-27 previous nine.
- 15 offensive rebounds past three games.
- 6 in the prior 3 contests.
- 77 minutes past 2 games.
- 54 minutes the previous 2.
- 4+ free-throw attempts in 6 straight games.
- 27-of-36 in stretch, including 7-of-8 vs. ECU (1/13).
- 17-of-28 in the first nine games of the year.
- 6 steals past 2 games to equal sum the prior 6.
- 49-11 as starter, including 14-1 in 2012-13.
- C-USA Co-Player of the Week on 12/17/12.
- 2012 Junkanoo Jam MVP (16 ppg, 8.0 rpg).
- 2012-13 preseason All-C-USA team.
- 2012 2nd-team All C-USA (9.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg).
#10 Syerra Davis (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- Played in every game, earning 11.9 mpg.
- 1 of 4 Miners with +assist/turnover ratio (1.5).
- Career-best 4 assists vs. East Carolina (1/13).
- 9 assists past 4 games tops sum (7) to start year.
- Hit only three-point try at Tulsa (1/9).
- 0-of-7 from distance to start the year.
- 13 points (6-of-11) vs. LMU (11/10) & TSU (12/1).
- 8 points (3-18) in other 13 games.
- 5+ minutes in every game, including 8 of 10+.
- 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#12 Anete Steinberga (6-2, Senior, C)
- Lone healthy senior & has started every game.
- 6 straight & team-high 12 games of 10+ points.
- Never scored 10+ points in 7 straight contests.
- Leads team in double-digit scoring games (11) & free-throws made (48).
- 2nd in scoring (13.9) & 3rd in rebounding (5.7).
- 1 of 4 Miners with 30+ offensive boards (37).
- 2 points in opener vs. LMU (11/10).
- 8+ points in each game since.
- 5+ boards in 10 games, including 3 with 8.
- 23-of-27 on free throws over past 5 games.
- 25-of-37 at the line in the first 10 contests.
- 9 fouls past two tilts, including 5 vs. ECU (1/13).
- Hadn't fouled out this year before that game.
- 9 fouls total over prior 4 games before stretch.
- 30+ minutes 4 times this year.
- 2 such games in 2011-12.
- 2010, 2011 & 2012 C-USA Academic Honor Roll.
#14 Marissa Rodriguez (5-7, Sophomore, G)
- 18 minutes in 4 games of action.
- Career-high 5 points vs. ENMU (12/8).
- 2 of 3 shots made have been three pointers.
- 3 of 4 shots tried from beyond the arc.
- 3 pointer vs. NM State (12/5).
- 2012 C-USA Academic Medal Recipient.
- Recipient of 2012 C-USA Academic Medal.
- Walk-on who grew up in El Paso.
- Attended HS in San Antonio before returning.
#20 Diamond Posey (5-7, Freshman, G)
- 37 minutes in 7 games in non-conference play.
- Has not played since start of C-USA action.
- All 11 points scored in her past 3 appearances.
- 3-of-7 from floor in those games.
- Scoreless & 0-of-5 from floor previously.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store