UTEP Women To Open Two-Game Homestand Against Charlotte Saturday
Jan. 17, 2014
THE OPENING ACT
- UTEP will open up a mini two-game homestand by playing host to Charlotte at 7 p.m. MST Saturday. Tickets are $5 adults & $3 for kids.
- The Miners (13-3, 2-1 C-USA) fell at Middle Tennessee, 69-58, on Jan. 15.
- The 49ers (8-8, 2-1 C-USA) were edged at UTSA, 61-60, on Jan. 15.
- Audio/video of the game will be streamed on MinerTV (subscription required) or fans can follow @UTEPWBB on twitter for updates.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- First meetings between the programs.
QUITE A RUN
- UTEP is 64-17 since the start of the 2011-12 season, including 13-3 this year.
- Have registered 45 double-digit wins in stretch.
- Only five double-digit losses in time frame.
- Aiding record were eight winning streaks of at least three games. The breakdown is as follows:
15 game (12/31/11 through 2/23/12)
10 game (11/12/11 through 12/17/11)
9 game (12/1/12 through 1/13/13)
9 game (11/8/13 through 12/15/13)
5 game (11/0/12 through 11/23/12)
4 game (3/1/12 through 3/10/12)
3 game (1/24/13 through 1/27/13)
3 game (3/8/13 through 3/14/13)
- Contrast that with one three-game losing skid.
THIRD-BEST IN TEXAS SINCE 06-07
- The Miners have the third-most wins among all DI programs in the state of Texas since the start of the 2006-07 season.
- Recent national champions Baylor (229-38) & Texas A&M (202-61) lead the way while UTEP (164-71, has a firm grip on third.
- Lamar (150-90-4th), TCU (144-95-t5th), Texas (144-101-t5th), SMU (142-93-7th), Texas Tech (136-108-8th), Prairie View A&M (135-106-9th) and UTSA (127-105-10th) round on the top 10.
- Middle Tennessee (3-0) is the only undefeated team in C-USA play.
- Charlotte, East Carolina, FIU, Rice, Southern Miss, Tulane, UAB and UTEP are all 2-1.
- Florida Atlantic, North Texas, Old Dominion & Tulsa all stand 1-2 in conference action.
- Louisiana Tech & Marshall are winless in C-USA.
- 12 of the 16 teams are .500 or better overall.
- Middle Tennessee (#42), Southern Miss (#83), UTEP (#83), East Carolina (#104) & FAU (#115) all with top-125 RPI rankings.
- League is 11th out of 33 conferences in RPI.
- Aiding that was seventh-best non-conference record (115-77, .600)
- C-USA teams a combined 95-33 at home.
- Every team in the league has enjoyed a winning streak of at least two contests, with seven going on a run of five or more games.
RUNDOWN ON THE 2013-14 MINERS
- In search of a third straight 20+ win season, which would be a program first.
- Opened up at 9-0, the second-best start in school history.
- Split final four non-conference games to head into C-USA play at 11-2 on the year.
- Secured third straight & sixth overall 2-0 start to league play before falling last time out at Middle Tennessee, 69-58, on Jan. 15.
- Nash & Vitola missed last year due to torn ACLs.
- Willingham missed seven contests this year due to an injured left hand.
- Nine players earn at least 10.0 mpg.
- No Miner above 30.0 mpg, which also occurred during record-setting 2011-12 season.
- Six newcomers have played for UTEP this year.
LAST TIME OUT
- UTEP sustained a hard-fought 69-58 loss at Middle Tennessee on Jan. 15.
- The Miners shot a better percentage from the floor (42.9 to 39.0) while also outrebounding (43-36) the Blue Raiders but were plagued by turnovers & fouls.
- Season-high 25 turnovers led to 27 MT points, with eight of them due to offensive fouls.
- 28 fouls, including the eight on offensive.
- MT was 17-of-32 at the free-throw line.
- UTEP was 9-of-17 at the charity stripe.
- Kayla Thornton posted a double-double (14 points, 11 rebounds) before fouling out for the first time since her freshman season and the second occasion of her career.
GETTING TO KNOW CHARLOTTE
(8-8, 2-1, 6-2 home, 2-5 away & 0-1 neutral)
- Stumbled out of gates at 1-3, with each of the losses coming on the road.
- Won three of the next four contests, including a home conquest of UCF, 62-52, on Nov. 23.
- Wrapped up non-conference play at 6-7.
- Had three-game winning streak snapped with a 61-60 setback at UTSA on Jan. 15.
- Balanced offensive attack with Ny Hammonds (11.6), Kira Gordon (11.5), Gabby Tyler (11.1) and Hillary Sigmon (9.9) taking turns as the go-to offensive performer.
- Four others at +5.0 ppg.
- Tyler is the leading rebounder at 7.0 rpg, followed by Gordon (6.5) and Alexis Alexander (6.0).
- Returned two starters and seven letterwinners from last year’s team that was 26-6, including 13-1 to win the Atlantic 10 regular-season championship.
- Advanced to the WNIT Sweet 16 for the second time in the past three years.
- Made 11 straight postseason appearances, with NCAA bids in 2003 & 2009 & the WNIT the other years.
- Notable alumni include Robert F. Hull, Jr. (CEO of Lowes) and Matt Hardy (Pro Wrestler).
THE BASIC FACTS ON UTEP
- This is the 40th season of UTEP women’s hoops.
- Stand 482-599 all time, including 13-3 in ‘13-14.
- Four 20+ win seasons (all since 2006-07).
- Two regular-season league championships (2008 & 2012) & one league tourney title (2012).
- Became first C-USA women’s team to go 16-0 while claiming initial league title in 2008.
- Finished 15-1 in 2012 & won C-USA tournament.
- Own C-USA single-season record for winning streak at 23, which was set in 2007-08.
- Appeared in 2008 & 2012 NCAA Tournaments.
- Earned at-large bid as #7 seed in 2008.
- Beat #10 seed Western Kentucky, 92-60 (3/22/08) in the first round of ‘08 “Big Dance.”
- Bowed out with 88-54 loss at two-seed & #4 nationally Stanford (3/24/08). Stanford ultimately lost in the NCAA title game.
- Awarded a #13 seed at 2012 NCAA Tournament, in spite of 29-3 record & winning both the C-USA regular-season & tournament title.
- Faced #4 seed & #12 in polls Penn State ‘12 NCAA First Round. Tied at the half (39-39) before eventually falling, 85-77, (3/18/12).
- Never played in WNIT.
- The University of Texas at El Paso is in the midsts of its centennial celebration, which will continue through ‘14-15.
- Notable alumni include former ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Sam Donaldson, well-respected NFL referee Ed Hochuli, former NASA astronaut Danny Olivas engineer & Dennis Poon, who designed Taipei 101 & some of the tallest buildings in the world.
THE ADAMS FILE
- UTEP is led by 13th-year head coach and the all-time win leader in program history, Keitha Adams, who is 219-160 in that time frame.
- Adams is 346-197 in her 18th year as a collegiate head coach, making her one of six active coaches in C-USA women’s basketball to have 300+ career victories.
- All four 20+ win seasons & five of the six with 18+ wins at UTEP have been under Adams.
- Closing in on eighth straight & ninth overall season with at least 16 victories.
- Three such seasons in first 27 years of program.
- Both NCAA tournament bids & all three league championships at the school under Adams.
- 188-105, including 13-3 in ‘13-14, past 10 years.
- 115-156 was best record for 10-year stretch before her arrival.
- Earned votes in top-25 poll in three straight years & six times overall.
- Never achieved feat before Adams’ era.
- Nationally ranked for final six weeks of 07-08.
- 13 of 18 individual career record holders at UTEP currently play or have played for Adams.
- Coached 18 players who have gone on to play professionally. List includes ‘08 WNBA draft picks Izabela Piekarska & Natasha Lacy.
- Impacted the international game at the highest level, with Noni Wharemate representing New Zealand at ‘08 Olympic Games.
- Every player who has exhausted her eligibility at UTEP during her tenure has graduated.
- Leads C-USA & is 22nd nationally at 79.6 ppg.
- Only two previous teams (1980-81, 71.5 & 2007-08, 71.4) finished at better than 70.0 ppg.
- Scored 70+ points in 13 of 16 games this year, including three in the 90’s & six in the 80’s.
- The three games with 90+ points ties the 1979-80 squad for the most in a single season.
- Kayla Thornton pace teams with 19.0 ppg, which would be third-best ever at school.
- Holly Russ (22.2 ppg, 1990-91) holds record.
- Amy Pack (19.1 ppg, 2000-01) is only other Miner to finish better than 19.0 ppg.
- Reserve guard Jenzel Nash (12.3) also in double figures while four others at +6.0 ppg.
- Gloria Brown (12.1 ppg, 2011-12) was last reserve to average double figures in scoring.
- Better than 40% from the floor in 11 tilts, including a season-high 55.0% vs. NM State (11/12/13)
- Committed 15 or fewer turnovers 11 times, but did have a season-high 25 at Middle Tennessee in the most-recent contest on Jan. 15.
- Nailed 28 total three pointers past three games.
- Nine combined treys in three games prior.
- 20+ free throws made in nine games.
- Projected to make 594 which would shatter current school standard of 468 (2000-01).
- 30+ free throws attempted in seven games.
- On pace to take 860, which would crush current program record of 712 (1988-89).
- Held foes to 52.8 ppg over first seven games.
- Allowing 73.1 ppg in the nine games since.
- Conceded 70+ points in five of those nine tilts.
- UTEP has not conceded 70+ points in three consecutive contests since Jan. 2003, a span of 334 games.
- 10+ steals in nine games.
- On pace for 342 steals, which would be just one shy of the single-season school record (343, 2006-07 & 2007-08).
- Blocked 82 shots to top last year’s sum (68).
- Aiding that effort is three games with 8+ swats.
- Forced 17+ turnovers in 11 games, including six of 25 or more.
- Opponents committed 20 or more turnovers in five straight games (11/16/13 through 12/3/13), for the first time since the 1996-97 season (six).
- Enjoyed school-record-tying stretch of three consecutive games (11/16/13 to 11/27/13) of holding opposition to fewer than 45 points.
- Eleven of 13 wins by double figures.
- Marks the eighth season under Keitha Adams with at least 10 double-digit victories.
- Achieved four times in 27 years before Adams.
- Single-season school record is 20 (2011-12)followed by 2007-08 squad (18), 2006-07 (15), 1992-93 & 2012-13 (14), 2005-06 & 2009-10 (11). The 1988-89, ‘96-97 & ‘97-98 each had 10.
- This year’s team has a +15.4 scoring margin.
- While maintaining that figure will be near-to-impossible, the single-season school standard (+13.2, 2011-12) could be in reach.
- Set a school record with seven straight wins by double figures (11/8 through 12/3). Prior standard was six (2006-07 & 2011-12).
- Included in stretch were back-to-back wins by 45+ points for first time in school history.
- School-record 49-point differential vs. DI 1 foe in 92-43 win vs. Northern Arizona (11/22/13)
- Beat Kansas State by 45 points (84-39) on Nov. 16, its third-best margin of win vs. Dl opposition.
- Set school record for biggest halftime lead vs. DI opponent against KSU (46-13).
- Also won four straight games (11/12/13 to 11/27/13) by 20+ points in the stretch for first time since ‘06-07 & third occasion in the program’s history.
CHECK THE STATS
- The difference between winning & losing can be stark. Here’s UTEP’s breakdown.
In 13 Wins (Average Stats)
Team Pts FG% 3fg% FT% RB TO
UTEP 83.2 43.8 34.1 69.7 44.4 14.3
Opp. 60.2 36.1 32.5 62.8 38.3 21.8
In 3 Losses (Average Stats)
Team Pts FG% 3fg% FT% RB TO
UTEP 64.3 37.7 30.0 65.7 39.0 20.0
Opp. 81.7 45.1 32.1 66.2 44.3 15.3
- 2-0 on year & 61-3 with +20 assists during the Keitha Adams era.
- 6-0 on season & 77-12 under Adams when opposition has more turnovers than field goals.
- 12-1 on year & 145-51 under Adams when winning the rebounding battle.
- 9-0 on year & 61-3 under Adams when scoring 80 or more points.
- 46-12 when Kristine Vitola starts.
- 41-14 when Chrishauna Parker starts.
ALL ABOUT THE SCHEDULE
- UTEP will play host to the C-USA Championships (March 11-15, 2014) for the second time since joining the league.
- UTEP’s opponents at the conclusion of non-conference play were 59-73 (.447), for a strength of schedule of 256.
- The Miners’ remaining opponents are a combined 108-79 (.579), which ranks as the 102nd-toughest schedule left.
- UTEP’s foes (past & future) are a combined 192-172 (.527) which is 125th nationally.
- UTEP went 2-2 on the year against teams from power conferences.
HOME SWEET HOME
- Home record of 141-54 in Keitha Adams era.
- 105-22 since 2006-07, including 10-0 this year.
- 66-34 is best record over 8 years before Adams.
- Marks the second 10-0 home start at UTEP.
- 39-5 over past 44 home games.
- On track for 8th straight year of 12+ home wins.
- Four 10+ win seasons in 27 years before Adams.
- Only one of those teams (12-1, ‘88-89) hit mark.
- Have not lost back-to-back games in El Paso since falling by combined 4 points in final 2 home games of 2009-10.
- Have not dropped 2 league home tilts in span of 7 days since 2005-06, its first year as C-USA member.
ALL ABOUT THE FANS
- UTEP has paced C-USA in attendance & been among top 50 nationally in back-to-back years.
- All four non-conference home games of 3,000+ fans at school have been under Keitha Adams.
- 25 of the 31 home games in school history with 3,000+ fans occurred during Adams’ tenure.
- 23-8 all time in such contests, including 20-5 under Adams.
- UTEP is 2-2 on the year on the road and 55-90 all time under Keitha Adams.
- UTEP is 41-38 on the road since 2006-07.
- 25-57 was the best seven-year record before Adams.
- 18-8 over past 26 road contests.
- Two winning road seasons under Adams.
- Never happened in first 27 years of program.
- Twice finished at .500 during Adams’ tenure.
- Only occurred a pair of times before her.
Class of 2014 (Thornton, Vitola & Willingham)
- Aided UTEP to record of 80-31 since 2010.
- Program standard for most wins by a class over four years is 84 (Jareica Hughes & Timika Williams, 2006-10).
- Has led UTEP to back-to-back 20+ win seasons.
- Aiming for unprecedented third straight 20+ victory season at the school.
Kayla Thornton (Senior)
- School-record holder for rebounds (846) & double-doubles (30.
- Second all time at UTEP in points (1,320).
- With big scoring numbers, has put herself in a position to possibly break the UTEP school standard for total points as well. .Jareica Hughes (2006-10) holds record at 1,555.
- Also has top-10 rankings for field-goals made (484-4th), free-throws made (287-4th), free-throws attempted (403-4th), steals (166-4th), starts (91-5th), field-goal attempts (1,094-5th), rebounding average (7.7-7th), minutes played (2,833-9th), games played (110-9th) and field-goal percentage (44.2-9th), blocked shots (53-10th) and scoring average (12.0-10th).
- Back-to-back second-team All C-USA selection.
- 2012 C-USA All-Tournament Team.
- 2014 Preseason All C-USA team member.
Kristine Vitola (Senior)
- Ranks fourth all time at UTEP for blocks (138).
- Currently seventh in career games played (112) but if she stays healthy will break Timika Williams’ (2006-10) school record of 120.
- Eighth in free-throw percentage (75.1).
- 3rd Miner with 600+ points (657), 450+ rebounds (472) & 100+ blocks (138).
- 20th Miners with 2,000+ minutes played (2,032)
Kelli Willingham (Senior)
- Pure shooter on both free throws & triples.
- Second for free-throw percentage (79.7, three-pointers attempted (498) & three-pointers made (179) and seventh on three-point field-goal percentage (35.9).
- Fourth in starts (95) and fifth in minutes (3,102).
- Jareica Hughes’ (2006-10) school standard for assists (599) is safe but Willingham (331) is going to have a firm grip on second.
- Is the fifth Miner to log 3,000+ minutes (3,127).
- Joined Hughes as only Miners with 900+ points (910) & 300+ assists (331). Hughes is the UTEP record holder for both points (1,550) & assists (599).
Chrishauna Parker (Junior)
- Aided UTEP to a mark of 64-16, including back-to-back 20+ win seasons.
- 16th Miner with 500+ rebounds (512).
- Is 10th for career rebounding average (6.8).
- Is also a member of the 500-point club (562)
- With eight more field goals made, will qualify for career FG % list. Her current readout of 47.8 would tie for fourth.
- 12th Miner to hit 200 career assists (206).
CLIFFSNOTES ON 2013-14 CAMPAIGN
UTEP 97, at Tulsa 66 (1/11/14)
- Senior Kayla Thornton posted a monstrous double-double (22 points & school-record-tying 20 rebounds) while sophomore Jenzel Nash poured in a season-best 24 points, and UTEP toppled Tulsa, 97-66, in its C-USA home opener on Jan. 11.
- Nailed 12 three pointers, which ties as the sixth-highest sum in school history.
- Season-high & ninth-most points in school history, aided by 20 assists on 36 field goals.
- Thornton was first Miner with 20/20 game. Former Miner great Kanequa Chancellor fell just shy of the feat with 18 points and 20 boards against SE Missouri State on Nov. 29, 1997.
- Thornton was voted C-USA Player of Week after averaging 22.5 points & 13.5 rebounds.
UTEP 85, at UAB 76 (1/8/14)
- Kayla Thornton tallied 23 points while grabbing seven board to become the school’s all-time leading rebounder and Kelli Willingham added 18 points (on six threes) to propel UTEP to an 85-76 road conquest of UAB at Bartow Arena in the Conference USA opener for both squads on Jan. 8.
- UTEP drilled 41.3% from the floor (26-of-63) from the floor, including 9-of-18 (50.0%)
- Making free throws (24-of-27) and winning the rebounding battle (43-31) were also big factors.
- Thornton’s seven rebounds gave her 815 for her career to surpass former Miner great Kim Watts’ prior standard (810, 1978-81)
- Fifth straight win in a league opener.
- Now 8-5 in the situation under Keitha Adams.
- 7-2 in league lidlifters since joining C-USA.
- 12-21 in conference openers, with the 4-16 record in such games being a big factor.
at Texas A&M 74, UTEP 58 (1/2/14)
- Jenzel Nash scored a season-high 20 points and UTEP forced 25 turnovers but it wasn’t enough to offset a challenging shooting night in a 74-58 loss at SEC power Texas A&M on Jan. 2.
- UTEP trailed by 25 with 8:23 to play before a 16-4 run in four minutes cut the deficit to 13.
- Texas A&M had only four free throws & six points total in the final 6:24 but held on due to its defense.
- UTEP was held to a season-low 32.8 percent (21-of-64) & was 0-of-12 on three pointers.
- It marked the first time since 2005-06 that the Miners didn’t connect from distance in a game.
- Another factor was rebounding, which was in favor of Texas A&M (45-32). UTEP had more offensive rebounds (12) than the Aggies (11), with the margin being more of an indication of the shooting percentage than anything else.
at UTEP 87, Texas Southern 61 (12/29/13)
- Kayla Thornton poured in 23 points and UTEP used a huge second half to topple upset-minded Texas Southern, 87-61, at the Don Haskins Center on Dec. 29.
- The Miners led by five (34-29) at the break before unleashing a lethal full-court press that befuddled the Lady Tigers. The visitors committed 18 of their 26 turnovers in the second half, which led to 26 of UTEP’s 53 points in the stanza.
- Cameasha Turner (nine points, four boards) and Stacie Telles (seven points, four rebounds) also got involved in the attack.
UTEP 88, Belmont 74 (12/21/13)
- Kayla Thornton turned in a virtuoso performance by setting career highs in points (36), rebounds (16) and blocked shots (four) to guide UTEP past Belmont, 88-74, inside Guillermo Angulo Coliseum in its final game of the Puerto Rico Classic on Dec. 21.
- Thornton’s 36 points are the most by a Miner since 1991 and the third-highest total in school history. Holly Russ (40 vs. UTSA, 2/19/91 and 37 vs. Baylor, 12/17/91) holds the top-two slots in program annals.
- She had 23 pts & nine rbs at the break, to help UTEP lead 49-26 heading into halftime.
- Belmont made things interesting by cutting that margin down to seven (74-67) with 2:50 to play but the Orange and Blue kept their composure.
- The Miners went 9-of-10 at the free-throw line in the final 1:22 to seal the win.
Georgia Tech 102, UTEP 77 (12/20/13)
- UTEP put up a good fight but ACC power Georgia Tech had simply too much firepower, as the Miners sustained their first loss of the year, 102-77, inside Guillermo Angulo Coliseum at the Puerto Rico Classic Dec. 20.
- Problems arose, though, in trying to slow down the Jackets’ one-two punch of Kaela Davis (26 points) and Tyaunna Marshall (23 points).
- The duo teamed up for 33 in the first half, which helped Tech stake a 54-38 lead at the break.
- UTEP regrouped and played even (33-33) with Tech over the first 16 minutes of the second stanza. The Jackets, who used a full-court press the entire game, used a 15-6 push to account for the 25-point margin.
- Points in the paint (59-28), points off turnover (25-8) and rebounding (52-42) all favored Georgia Tech.
at UTEP 87, SE Louisiana 65 (12/15/13)
- Kayla Thornton posted her fifth double-double this season (16 points, 10 rebounds) to lead a quartet of players in double figures, and UTEP remained undefeated with a 87-65 conquest of Southeastern Louisiana on Dec. 15.
- Led by two (14-12) six minutes in before kicking it into high gear with a 24-3 run to blow the game wide open.
- Connected on 48.7 (37-of-76) shots from the floor, and shared the ball well with 19 assists.
- 32-7 cushion in points from the bench.
- Also enjoyed advantages in points in the paint (56-32), points off turnovers (30-21), fast-break points (19-4) and points off turnovers (30-21).
at UTEP 76, SMU 71 (12/7/13)
- Kayla Thornton (21 points, 10 rebounds) and Chrishauna Parker (12 points, 15 rebounds) recorded double-doubles while Jenzel Nash provided a spark off the bench with 19 points to help lead UTEP past long-time rival SMU, 76-71, at home on Dec. 7.
- The Mustangs, who were 8-1 entering the game, jumped out to a double-digit lead (14-4) six minutes into the contest.
- UTEP used a 31-14 run to carry a 35-28 cushion into halftime & extended it out to 47-2 with 15:29 to play.
- SMU wasn’t done, though, especially not with Keena Mays at its disposal. Mays, who finished with a game-high 34 points, refused to let her squad go down without a fight. It whittled the deficit down to two (56-54) with 7:28 to play, but UTEP would not relinquish the advantage.
- Free throws (25-of-37) and winning the rebounding battle (47-45) proved vital, as did committing only 15 turnovers against a well-executed press by the visitors.
UTEP 80, at NM State 61 (12/3/13)
- Kayla Thornton (20 points), Chrishauna Parker (career-high 19 points), Jenzel Nash (14 points) and Irene Gari (10 points) all reached double figures in scoring to help power UTEP to an 80-61 road conquest of I-10 rival New Mexico State on Dec. 3.
- Sixth sweep of series during Keitha Adams era.
- Miners led by four (39-35) at the break before finding another gear to leave NM State in dust.
- Forced 24 turnovers, including 17 in second half, while holding Aggies to 38% shooting.
- No such issues for UTEP, which had just 12 turnovers & nailed 42.6% of its shots.
- UTEP also hit its free throws (20-of-26) & won the battle of the boards (39-34).
at UTEP 73, Texas State 60 (11/30/13)
- Led 41-23 at half & the advantage swelled to as many as 22 (54-32, 11:58 to play).
- Texas State never got closer than 12 rest of way.
- There were 56 combined infractions in the game (30 on UTEP, 26 on Texas State).
- The Miners knocked down 21-of-32 free throws and TSU finished at 14-of-30 from the charity stripe.
- UTEP won the rebounding battle, 44-40, aided by 12 from Chrishauna Parker & 10 from Thornton.
at UTEP 63, Northern Colorado 40 (11/27/13)
- Fueled by a huge second half (42-16), UTEP dispatched upset-minded Northern Colorado, 63-40, at the Don Haskins Center on Nov. 27.
- The Bears led by three (24-21) at the break.
- UTEP hit 46.6 percent (27-of-58) of its shots.
- UNC shots 27.5 (14-of-51) percent & committed 30 turnovers that led to 36 UTEP points.
- UTEP out-scored UNC in points in the paint (42-16) & on fast-break tries (15-2) to more than compensate for losing the rebounding battle 46-31.
at UTEP 92, Northern Arizona 43 (11/22/13)
- UTEP jumped out to a 25-point (45-20) halftime lead and didn’t let up on the way to recording its largest margin of victory (49) ever against a Division 1 team in a 92-43 thrashing of Northern Arizona at home on Nov. 26.
- UTEP harassed the Lumberjacks into making 29 turnovers while also holding them to 32.0 percent shooting from the floor.
- The 29 giveaways led to 31 points for the Orange and Blue.
- UTEP registered 20 assists & hit 50% from field.
- Transfer Anete Kirsteine came off the bench to tally a career high 15 points- all on triples- to lead a quartet of Miners in double figures for scoring.
- Overall 11 different players scored in the game, showing off the Orange and Blue’s depth in the process.
- UTEP drained the seventh-most three pointers (11) in a contest in program annals.
at UTEP 84, Kansas State 39 (11/16/13)
- UTEP forced 34 turnovers and held Big 12 member Kansas State to 26.3 percent shooting from the floor in a 84-39 shellacking at the Don Haskins Center on Nov. 16.
- The 45-point differential is the third-biggest (second at the time) margin of victory against a Division 1 opponent in school history, which was aided by the program’s biggest halftime lead (46-13) vs. a DI foe.
- Five different Miners reached double figures in scoring, with senior Kayla Thornton leading the way with her school-record 23rd career double-double (15 points, 11 rebounds).
- UTEP drilled 35-of-47 from the free-throw line and also won the rebounding battle, 54-43.
- It is the third most free throws made & ties as the fourth-highest for free throw attempts.
- But the day belonged to the defense, with UTEP forcing 34 turnovers. That ties as the sixth-highest sum by an opponent in school history.
- The Orange and Blue finished with 20 steals, equaling their eighth-highest single-game sum.
- Sophomore Chrishauna Parker, who posted a game-high 12 boards, recorded the sixth-best sum for steals (seven) by a Miner in school history.
- Thornton was named the C-USA player of the week as result of efforts vs. Kansas State & NM State.
at UTEP 94, NM State 69 (11/16/13)
- Four different Miners reached double figures in scoring to help UTEP pound NM State, 94-69, in the first round of the “Battle of I-10” this year at the Haskins Center on Nov. 12
- UTEP led wire-to-wire.
- It was the Miners’ 2nd-biggest margin of victory in the series against the Aggies.
- UTEP equaled fifth-highest second-half scoring sum in program history by pouring in 55.
- Kayla Thornton led the way with a double-double (22 points, 12 rebounds).
- UTEP hit 55.0% (33-of-60), aided by going 20-of-29 (69.0%) in the second half.
at UTEP 75, UTPB 58 (11/8/13)
- Chrishauna Parker registered a double-double (12 points and 12 rebounds) and UTEP’s bench provided 49 points to lift it past UTPB.
- Junior-college transfer and El Paso native Stacie Telles matched Parker with 12 points, including nine on triples.
- The Miners led the Falcons picked second in the Heartland Conference, 43-23, at the half.
- Eleven different Miners scored in the game. Senior Kayla Thornton had nine points & nine rebounds & freshman Sparkle Taylor pitched in eight off the bench, aided by six makes on 12 tries at the charity stripe.
- Senior Kristine Vitola chipped in six points and grabbed seven boards in an efficient 18 minutes of action in her return to the court after missing most of last year with a torn ACL. Sophomore Jenzel Nash, who redshirted last year as well due to a torn ACL, pitched in four points and four boards while battling foul trouble.
at UTEP 81, St. Mary’s (TX) 51 (11/2/13)- EXH
- Kayla Thornton poured in 22 points to lead a quartet of Miners in double figures, and UTEP throttled St. Mary’s, 81-51, in the exhibition game.
- The Miners led 40-17 at half & were up by 30+ points for the final 13 minutes of the contest.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Hall of Fame
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store