UTEP Student-Athletes Community Service Request|
Student-Athlete Promotional Activities Request Form
Student-athletes at the University of Texas at El Paso are regarded as role models. The UTEP Athletics Department is fortunate to have these young adults as part of its 16 teams. The student-athletes want to thank the fans and the community for the continued support and they believe in helping make a difference in the lives of so many people. Through the Life Skills program, Miner student-athletes contribute over 1,000 hours of community service each year. The Athletics Department and the student-athletes have established many wonderful relationships with non-profit organizations in El Paso and always welcome the opportunity to develop more partnerships. Here are just a few community service opportunities that student-athletes can participate in:
1. Public Speaking: Through the UTEP Athletics Speakers Bureau, non-profit organizations, schools, and business organizations/clubs (i.e. Rotary, Elks, etc.) can request a student-athlete to speak to an audience about topics such as saying no to drugs, the importance of academics, achieving goals, and handling peer pressure. These opportunities also help our student-athletes develop their speaking abilities and it allows them to answer questions about what it is like to compete at the Division I level.
2. Hospital Visits: UTEP Athletics has developed relationships with the Sierra Providence Health Network, specifically the Children's Hospital. Student-athletes spend time talking with children in the hospital or visit with the elderly.
3. Event Appearances: Student-athletes can also make appearances at events and participate in hands on activities with children. This type of event is limited due to NCAA regulations, but our Life Skills and Compliance staff is willing to review each request and determine whether a student-athlete can participate.
4. Autograph Sessions: Student-athletes participate in autograph sessions for UTEP Athletic events and Athletic Department approved events only. This is also monitored by the NCAA and each request will be considered based on those regulations.
1. It is extremely important that student-athletes are not personally asked to participate in community events without prior approval of the UTEP Athletics Department's Life Skills Office. An inappropriate apperance could jeopardize a student-athletes' eligibility.
2. Student-athlete appearances are fulfilled based on availability. No student can miss academic or athletic responsibilities to participate in an appearance or community event.
3. The University of Texas at El Paso Department of Intercollegiate Athletics reserves the right to refuse any appearance. All requests for specific appearances will be left to the discretion of the Athletics Department and the Department will decide if any appearance conflicts with its best interests.
4. Because of the time demands on the student-athletes, we cannot guarantee that each requested appearance will be fulfilled and priority will be given to athletic related duties.
5. Due to time constraints of student-athletes. we ask that appearances not last more than two hours (including driving to and from the location).
6. Specific student-athletes cannot be requested. More than 200 student-athletes choose to volunteer their time for community service activities. The Athletics Department provides the opportunities to all student-athletes.
7. Student-athletes will be driven to and from your event by themselves or a UTEP staff member. The transportation cannot be more than a 30-minute travel time from the University.
8. Requests must be submitted through the UTEP Athletics' Life Skills Office. Please do not contact a student-athlete or coach directly. Student-athletes are seen throughout our community and we ask that you DO NOT approach them about speaking opportunities. This policy will help the Athletics Department follow all NCAA and Conference USA regulations and will not jeopardize a student-athletes eligibility.
9. Requests must be submitted 3 weeks prior to the date of the appearance.
1. The Life Skills Department must receive the request a minimum of three weeks prior to the appearance date otherwise the event will not be processed.
2. Confirmation of the request will be provided within one week from the day it was submitted. Because scheduling is sometimes a challenge it may take longer than a week to confirm or deny a request. It is helpful to provide as much planning time as possible.
3. All requests must be submitted using the online Student-Athlete Promotional Activities Request Form below. Again, we ask that you DO NOT contact the student-athlete or their coach directly.
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Inside Athletics
- 1966 National Champions
- Athletic Training
- Core Purpose and Vision Statement
- Director of Athletics
- Donation Request Form
- General News
- Fan Zone
- Donate Now
- Online Store