The University of Texas at El Paso
The school has undergone three name changes since the Texas Legislature awarded El Paso a four-year institution in 1913 known as the "State School of Mines and Metallurgy."
When the school became part of the University of Texas system in 1919, the school's name was changed to "College of Mines and Metallurgy, El Paso."
The name changed to Texas Western College in 1949. The university assumed its present title, "The University of Texas at El Paso," in 1967, the year after the men's basketball team won NCAA Championship.