History Of UTEP's Nickname
We must presume the nickname "Miners" came from the fact that the school was founded as the "State School of Mines and Metallurgy."
In doing research on this project, early mention of "Ore Diggers" and "Muckers" for the nickname was found, but nothing to determine if the name "Miners" was voted upon by the student body, or if a faculty member, John W. (Cap) Kidd, chose the name.
Kidd was a big booster of athletics, especially football, and in 1915, when funds were rather lean at the school, Kidd donated $800 to equip the football team. He also assisted with coaching, although he was not the head coach. The present track and field complex on campus bears Cap Kidd's name.