BYLAW 17: Playing and Practice Seasons
Countable Athletically Related Activities (CARA)
- Countable-Athletically Related Activities (CARA) include any required activity with an athletics purpose, involving student-athletes and at the direction of, or supervised by, any member or members of an institution's coaching staff (including strength and conditioning coaches) and must be counted within the weekly and daily limitations of the sport's declared playing season. All sports must submit to the Compliance Office the Countable Athletically Related Activities Forms for his/her sport for the previous week, regardless of whether or not any countable athletically related activities took place. These forms must be signed by at least 5 different team members each week. Exceptions to this number may be made for teams with lower numbers of participants.
Playing Season Declaration Form
Length of Playing Season Calendar
- Each summer, all head coaches will receive the Declaration of Playing & Practice Season Packet. An individual on each staff will be responsible for completing and submitting to the Compliance Office the Declaration of Playing Season Form, the Length of Playing Season Calendar, as well as the team's competition schedule for the upcoming season.
- NCAA Bylaws governing outside competition differ by sport. Completion of the Outside Competition Form for your sport grants student-athletes permission to participate in outside or unattached competition. This permission is granted with the understanding that all NCAA Bylaws listed on the back of each Form governing outside competition will be adhered to. Prior to participating in any outside competition, this form must be signed by the student-athlete and the head coach and submitted to the Compliance Office for review and approval.
- Outside Competition Form
Basketball Summer League Form
- At the beginning of May, the Approval for Participation in a Summer Basketball League Form will be distributed to the Basketball staffs. The Student-athletes who will be participating in summer basketball leagues must complete and sign this form. Once the form has been completed, and the signatures of the student-athlete and head coach have been secured, it should be returned to the Compliance Office for approval.
Football Spring Conditioning Declaration
- This form must be completed and submitted to the Compliance Office prior to January 1 in order to identify the eight week discretionary period for football between January 1 and the start of the summer conditioning period.
Football Spring Practice Declaration
- This form must be completed and submitted to the Compliance Office prior to the first scheduled spring practice in order to identify the 34 consecutive day period within which the fifteen spring practice sessions may occur.
Football Summer Conditioning Declaration
- This form is to be completed and submitted to the Compliance Office prior to the beginning of the summer conditioning period in order to identify the nine week summer conditioning period and the one week discretionary period, which must occur within the nine week summer conditioning period.