The Official Site of The
University of Texas at El Paso Athletics
UTEPathletics.com WEB   
 Coach Haskins
Leave Your Condolences Below For the Haskins Family

Legendary Coach Don Haskins Passes Away
Images of Coach Haskins Through the Years (Send Us Your Favorite Coach Haskins Photo)
What People Are Saying About Coach Haskins
Bio of Coach Haskins
1966 National Championship Page
NCAA Tournament Teams
The Don Haskins Center

Don Haskins, one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history, passed away on Sunday. He was 78. Haskins died at his home, surrounded by friends and family, at 4:30 p.m. MDT. A public memorial is tentatively planned for later in the week, with arrangements pending.

Feel free to submit your condolences to the Haskins family below.

Please note that all submissions are reviewed by UTEP athletics staff before being posted, so your comments will not appear immediately on this page.

Jake Darnell (El Paso, born and raised): I am very saddened by the news. I am an avid Miner basketball fan. My family and I were season ticket holders for a long time. When I was younger, I went to numerous Miner basketball camps. He was one of the greatest coaches in NCAA history

Miners Fans (El Paso, Texas): Our family was proud of Don and all that he stood for. He understood a part of the human spirit that we all believe in.

John (Lincoln, Nebraska): We have enjoyed hearing about Don Haskins as a coach and a person since Doc Sadler became our head basketball coach. He has spoken about Haskins very highly on numerous occassions.

David (El Paso, Texas): It's sad to hear that a living legend has passed away. I will remember him as the greatest coach that ever lived, and UTEP was fortunate to have him. He meant so much not only to El Paso, but to college basketball as well. You will always be in our hearts coach.

Mark Harris (El Paso): May God bless the Haskins family, and heaven's gates open to one of the greatest people on this earth. We will never forget you, Coach. Our Miners will play with heavy hearts, but know that they will play every minute of this season, and every season from now on, in your honor.

Mary E. Jones (Odenton, Maryland): I would like to extend my condolences to the Haskins Family. May the fond memories of your father sustain you in the days ahead.

Tasia Melvin (Brooklyn, New York): I send my heartfelt condolences to the Haskins family & friends. At 17 years old, I've had the pleasure of meeting Coach Haskins, corresponding with his wife and attending many games. It's an honor to say I knew him. You were a coach, mentor, and friend to my father (Melvin #32) and truly an inspiration to me. May you rest in peace!!!!

John (Dallas): To Mary,Steve, Brett and David; My deepest sympathies and prayers are with you. It was an honor a privilege to know Don and all of you. I will have many fond memories from the old days Of Easy Street and the visits from Don.

Armando Gutierrez (El Paso): Even though I never met Coach Haskins, I feel almost the same way I felt when I lost my father. Coach Haskins was easily the greatest source of pride for this city and university, and the national title is only a small part of the reason. My prayers go out to the Haskins family.

Jimmy Perez (Fort Worth): I'm a UTEP graduate, class 0f 1987. I am so proud to have been at UTEP during the 1980's when Coach Haskins was leading the Miners to all the WAC championships. You will be missed greatly Coach. El Paso won't be the same without you.

Valerie Diaz: His mind was always on basketball. His heart was his team and his talent was finding the best in all of his players to play their hardest. Thanks Coach.

Juan de Dios Casillas (El Paso): I was a student at Texas Western College (now UTEP) in 1966. I prayed for him last night at church. He was a really great man and was a great gift to us.

Lawrence (Lancaster): Though I have never seen a UTEP game nor met Coach Don Haskins, I send my condolences to his family, as well as to the UTEP community. The sports world lost one of the best coaches in basketball history, as well as a community leader. May he rest in peace.

Miner Fan ( EL Paso): Coach you will be missed. I remember going to many basketball games seeing you coach while watching the games from the tunnel. May God bless you and your family.

Miners Fan For Life (El Paso): He will be greatly missed! May this season be dedicated to him!!

Fernie Gonzalez (El Paso): Coach Haskins is EL PASO.

Eric Sanchez (El Paso): Thank you coach for all the great memories. You will never be forgotten.

Caesar (Riverside, CA): Coach, you set a standard not only for the kids you coached but for kids like me growing up in El Paso. You spoke of truth, work ethic, sincerity and love. Thanks for everything you gave me and the city of El Paso. We miss you already.

James Algeo (Nashville, TN): One of my greatest pleasures was to have seen Coach Haskins coaching a Miner Basketball game. My wife and I send our condolences to his family.

Dan (Garland, TX): The word hero is used far too often in the sports world but it fits "The Bear." He provided equal opportunity to everybody when it was very dangerous to do so, especially in Texas. After winning it all, he could have made a lot more money someplace else but he stayed loyal to the Miners. I did not go to UTEP, but I became a big fan because of him so much so that I drove from Dallas to El Paso to see him at the Don during has last season. When I think of Coach Haskins, I remember that great men do what's right even if it defies conventional wisdom. My condolences to his family.

Stan (Gallup N.M.: I Grew up a miner fan in the 1960's and 1970"s. I moved to New Mexico in 1975 but still remained a Miner fan in Lobo country.My parents, who have also passed away, were cheering the Miners on in 1966. Our hearts are heavy today. Our prayers are with you and your family.

John Boy (El Paso): The best games I ever saw were against BYU. UTEP fans always brought their game face with them for the foes from UTAH. Then were the Utah games with coach Rick Majerus. Those memories will always come back to put a smile on my face. That's when El Paso came to see the legend and his UTEP Miners.

James M. Varnes: My deepest condolences to the Haskins family, UTEP, and El Paso. I enjoyed watching Coach Haskins prowl during WAC and NCAA games. Rest in Peace, Coach. We will miss you.

David Van Dyke (Phoenix, Ariz.): It was an honor and a pleasure to play for Coach Haskins. The world has lost a great coach and a great man. My condolences to his family.

Kay (El Paso, Texas): Don Haskins will be missed as the greatness of UTEP's history and excellence.

Triston Pence (El Paso, TX): Coach Haskins was not only a El Paso icon, but a national treasure. He will be warmly remembered and greatly missed.

GEORGE VARGAS (SELMA,CA.): Born in El Paso, but now living near Fresno, Calif. I'm still a UTEP fan!. Rest in peace Coach Haskins

John (Albuquerque, N.M.): We have lost a national treasure. Coach will never be forgotten. He was an icon to the sport. The Bear's legacy will live forever.

Keith Hatfield (Knoxville, Tenn.): Coach Haskins was one of the last true giants in college coaching. He will be sorely missed. My deepest condolences to his family.

Randolph (Albuquerque, N.M.): Rest in peace Coach Haskins. It was a pleasure to watch you and live in your time. My sincerest condolences to his family

Kevin G (Des Moines, Iova): Coach, thanks for running me hard in the Special Events Center. I'll never forget running that sucker. You helped me become a better player and man. Thanks. God bless you and your family!

Bob Sarate ( El Paso, Texas): It 'bears' repeating. Coach Haskins is El Paso. Thank you Mr. Haskins for sharing your life with us.

Gil (Home Of Haskins, El Paso, Texas): Coach, thanks so much for representing us how you did. Your class, Loyalty and gigh Character are much appreciated. You are the BEST. Rest in peace

Torres (Hixson, Tenn.): From going to your basketball camps when I was a kid, you were always the best. We lost a great individual and role model this week, and we will never be the same. Rest in peace Coach and may your family get through this time of need.

Jerry (El Paso, Texas): I met Coach Haskins once, and I will never forget how kind and down to earth he was. Rest in Peace Coach.

Warren Hasse (Pampa, Texas): Thanks, Coach Haskins, for everything!

Cliff Russell ( Detroit, Mich.): I played for Coach Haskins from 1974 to 1977. As the years have gone by, I appreciate my time as a Miner more and more. My deepest condolences go to the Haskins family, the UTEP Athletic Department and the City of El Paso.

Anonymous (Pamplona. Spain): Rest in peace coach. You will be missed

Danilo Gallerini (Rome, Italy): Un saluto in italiano, a chi ha contribuito a cambiare le cose. Grazie per il tuo coraggio. (A salute in Italian to a person who has contributed to change. Thanks for your courage)

Mark A. Arreola: Don Haskins will always shine brighter than that star on MT. Franklin. God Bless. We will miss you but not forget you.

Kay Mooy, El Paso, Texas: Thank you for sharing your husband, father and a great coach with the UTEP and El Paso communities for so many years. Coach will always be in my memories and those of so many others.

Matt Henningsen, Fresno, Calif.: Coach Haskins' inspirational story of playing the best players in Glory Road, all black, was at the heart of what true honor and integrity is. Thanks Coach Haskins.

Ryan: You will be remembered

Cesar (Austin): Mrs. Haskins and family, I offer my sincere condolences for your loss. I am so glad that as a kid I could watch that magical moment(in Black and White) in the mid 60's. Very proud to have been at UTEP in those great 80's beating UTAH, BYU, WYOMING, NEW MEXICO etc. Leave the library, watch a victory, back to library. Thank You Haskins family for Mr./Coach Don Haskins. Coach, you made a major notch in NCAA history. THANK YOU!!!
Name (City):
Submit your question here:

Printer-friendly format   Email this article